By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Microsoft to become largest 3rd party publisher.

mutantsushi said:

Hmmm.... Thread title prediction is pretty reasonable, the specific dates and events not so much.
Especially with next Xbox console development already leaked.
But I feel like equating that with 3rd party i.e. non-exclusivity is a misnomer.
I think MS may eventually get to fully dropping exclusivity, yet still be selling Xbox consoles.
Obviously the dual console consumers no longer would have a reason for Xbox consoles.
But for the ones never swayed by Sony 1st party games, it doesn´t really change anything.
It´s still a good and familiar place to play games they like, conventionally or thru a GP subscription.
Maybe the GP offering will change, but no reason it can´t exist in some form that´s profitable (even if that looks like PS+).
If one wants to call that ¨3rd Party Box¨, I have no problem with that.
I also kind of doubt the name Xbox will be dropped.
Changing to MS doesn´t really help them for this market, or for potential sale or merger scenarios.

Is this just too much deflating the drama, or what?

Around the Network

Someday they will tell us the real reasons for making Xbox games multiplatform. And I suspect they will tell us something like this:

-Game pass is a tiny part of xbox's revenue and grows very slowly.

-We are buying studios that are intrinsically oriented towards creating cross-platform games.

-Doom eternal and the vast majority of our games have much more sales potential on Nintendo or PlayStation than on Xbox.

-xbox used to be a relatively tiny part of Microsoft and whether it won or lost actually had almost no effect on the whole. We could allow ourselves some leeway. But now it is the fourth most important company in the Microsoft conglomerate and now it does matter whether it wins or loses because now it does affect the whole.

-All of the above:

A) We are going to squeeze all possible sources of income and cut everything that generates losses. Before we also did it, but before we looked at the long term, while now we do it with a view to the quarterly accounts.

B) Let's recognize that our business is making multiplatform games and get to work.

C) We are going to let the game pass languish until we finally drop it altogether. But we are going to do it with some care to squeeze all the money that can still be squeezed from game pass users.

only777 said:
smroadkill15 said:

For the most part, studios are happy with Game Pass

That statment doesn't line up with all the reports that have come out.  Like what the Somerville developer said: Source

According to Jim Ryan, who hindsight has been proved utterly correct on this situation, he said that many publishers said it was value distructive: Source

Game Pass even hurts studios not on the service, as we saw just today: Source

Game Pass, like spotify can never turn a profit because of the costs involved.

First link: it doesn’t say the dev isn’t happy with GamePass. In fact it says he thinks they got a good deal. Obviously the sales will be affected, that’s why they make a deal with MS.

Second link is Jim Ryan trying to stop the ABK deal. That link also points out that all of the recently announced GamePass games were from creators who previously released games on GamePass. So they’re supposedly unhappy with GamePass but go back for more? Huh.

Third link isn’t a game being hurt by GamePass, it’s a dude marketing his game. 

MS has said repeatedly that GamePass turns a profit. I’m assuming you have some numbers that suggest otherwise? And no, speculation from Jim Ryan doesn’t count.

LudicrousSpeed said:

MS has said repeatedly that GamePass turns a profit. I’m assuming you have some numbers that suggest otherwise? And no, speculation from Jim Ryan doesn’t count.

Where have you been for the last two weeks?!  On the moon?!

I mean come on man, I can see you have "Ludicrous" in your name but you don't actually have to make ludicrous statements like this.

Honestly, you can't be serious.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

only777 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I mean come on man, I can see you have "Ludicrous" in your name but you don't actually have to make ludicrous statements like this.

No numbers of evidence or data then?

Shocked.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
only777 said:

Shocked.

There is zero point in repling further to you because you have made yourself look utterly foolish.

If you are posting in VGChartz forums then there is zero chance you have missed the complete melt down within Microsoft in the last two weeks.  I mean do you think that other forum users missed it too and that somewhere people are actually agreeing with you?

Or are you such a hardcore Xbox fanboy that the events of the last two weeks are not any sort of clear indicator of the failure of Game Pass?

Last edited by only777 - on 23 May 2024

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

What happened in the last two weeks? Did they release numbers or data that back up the bullshit you are spewing?

They never should have come into the industry to begin with honestly. They did fuck all to really do anything to the Playstation long term, which was their stated goal coming into the business, and they just made the main line console business overly crowded for Nintendo and introduced a bunch of dumb behavior like making the console business about who can lose the most money. They drove Rare into being a shadow of what they used to be.

While they were doing all this the actual threat to do what they thought Sony would do with the Playstation was being done by Apple and Google (making the smartphone which would usurp Windows' OS grasp on the computing device of the future).

At this point they might as well just be a 3rd party publisher.

only777 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Shocked.

There is zero point in repling further to you because you have made yourself look utterly foolish.

If you are posting in VGChartz forums then there is zero chance you have missed the complete melt down within Microsoft in the last two weeks.  I mean do you think that other forum users missed it too and that somewhere people are actually agreeing with you?

Or are you such a hardcore Xbox fanboy that the events of the last two weeks are not any sort of clear indicator of the failure of Game Pass?

And how do you link those to GamePass? The industry is closing studios and laying off people, but when Microsoft does it, you magically conclude that it is because of GamePass? And not, like any business, to streamline, reduce costs, etc.. (esp. after a big acquisition and some time to settle down)?

Calling people "hardcore Xbox fanboy" as an argument just because you come up with GamePass as the culprit out of your behind does not make your point more credible. 

We do not know the numbers or the impact on GamePass internally, and neither you, or any other tweeter/forum genius has any way to know; what we know for sure is what Microsoft says about GamePass numbers. As you are talking about fanboys, fanboys from the other side, keeps calling those numbers lies; or pretend that Microsoft is making up stuff for some reason. (Microsoft is a publicly traded company; I'm not going to elaborate on that, but I hope you understand the point.).

So you chose to believe that they are lying, that anything official from them is not the correct information and you come up with your logic and reasoning behind the layoffs/studio closures. Then you argue about it like it is a fact or makes more sense than... You know, all the big game publishers/studios out there are doing the EXACT same thing and reducing the cost...

I mean come on now

Imaginedvl said:
only777 said:

And how do you link those to GamePass? The industry is closing studios and laying off people, but when Microsoft does it, you magically conclude that it is because of GamePass? And not, like any business, to streamline, reduce costs, etc.. (esp. after a big acquisition and some time to settle down)?

Calling people "hardcore Xbox fanboy" as an argument just because you come up with GamePass as the culprit out of your behind does not make your point more credible. 

We do not know the numbers or the impact on GamePass internally, and neither you, or any other tweeter/forum genius has any way to know; what we know for sure is what Microsoft says about GamePass numbers. As you are talking about fanboys, fanboys from the other side, keeps calling those numbers lies; or pretend that Microsoft is making up stuff for some reason. (Microsoft is a publicly traded company; I'm not going to elaborate on that, but I hope you understand the point.).

So you chose to believe that they are lying, that anything official from them is not the correct information and you come up with your logic and reasoning behind the layoffs/studio closures. Then you argue about it like it is a fact or makes more sense than... You know, all the big game publishers/studios out there are doing the EXACT same thing and reducing the cost...

I mean come on now

Hellblade 2 just launched and it's not even in the steam top 20. It's peak users wasn't even as high as Hellblade 1, and that was in 2017 when Steam was a smaller platform. Ghosts of Tsushima, a nearly 4 year old PS game topped the Steam charts but a new IP can't get top 20? All of this data suggests that it's sales were terrible but people like you keep insisting that gamepass is a sustainable model