By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: NG Switch "confirmed" to have Ray-Reconstruction, DLSS 3.5, custom SOC - capable of producing visuals comp'd to PS5/XSX

natedrake has dropped his new podcast and was able to confirm that the NG Switch is capable of pushing full Ray-Tracing as well as featuring a fully custom SOC. "there is no chip that you can do a one-to-one comparison to ascertain what the next Switch is capable of."

see minute mark 44:05 and beyond in the video below:

seems Nintendo and Nvidia have struck gold. also, to be clear, the specs on the NG Switch itself are not rivaling the PS5/XSX, rather it has the capabilities to produce visuals that are comparable to PS5 and only Ray-Tracing outpaces the PS5. either way, really interesting info.

TLDR: NG Switch can produce visuals that "look" and "run faster" than anything in previous generation and are fairly future-proofed.

Last edited by NintendoPie - on 19 October 2023

Around the Network

Sounds very interesting, but I’m not familiar with this Podcast.
Is it trustworthy to use true sources rather than responding to rumour and non-verified sources?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ha you can't use a word like "confirmed" when you're talking about a rumor. Confirmed would mean Nintendo announced it, not some random person.

I wouldn't call this confirmed. It's still a rumor. However I fully believe that the Switch 2 will have a chipset that is far more customized than what we've had from Nintendo in the past.

But things like "better raytracing than PS5" or "comparable visuals" are suspect. Richard Ledbetter from digital foundry provided an excellent comparison with the Switch. Imagine if, before launch, we heard that the NX was gonna be running Doom (2016) and The Witcher 3. We would have all thought "this thing is as powerful as an Xbox One minimum". We now know what that really meant, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Point is, don't let your imagination run wild. Switch 2 will be a considerable leap up from Switch 1, but expecting PS5 comparable games is setting yourself up for disappointment

For anyone who does not follow PC hardware, Nvidia currently has a multi generational advantage over AMD when it comes to ray tracing performance and image reconstruction.

The idea that the switch 2 will have better RT performance than the PS5 and Series X is not at all implausible to me. AMD is just that far behind

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Sounds very interesting, but I’m not familiar with this Podcast.
Is it trustworthy to use true sources rather than responding to rumour and non-verified sources?

Slownenberg said:

ha you can't use a word like "confirmed" when you're talking about a rumor. Confirmed would mean Nintendo announced it, not some random person.

he's not a random person.

Doctor_MG said:

I wouldn't call this confirmed. It's still a rumor. However I fully believe that the Switch 2 will have a chipset that is far more customized than what we've had from Nintendo in the past.

But things like "better raytracing than PS5" or "comparable visuals" are suspect. Richard Ledbetter from digital foundry provided an excellent comparison with the Switch. Imagine if, before launch, we heard that the NX was gonna be running Doom (2016) and The Witcher 3. We would have all thought "this thing is as powerful as an Xbox One minimum". We now know what that really meant, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Point is, don't let your imagination run wild. Switch 2 will be a considerable leap up from Switch 1, but expecting PS5 comparable games is setting yourself up for disappointment

natedrake is a verified insider source on famiboards, resetera, etc. this is why his info pretty much means "confirmed." still, i can change the title if that appeases people.

take it as you will but, just because you don't know of someone does not mean they aren't a real source.

aTokenYeti said:

For anyone who does not follow PC hardware, Nvidia currently has a multi generational advantage over AMD when it comes to ray tracing performance and image reconstruction.

The idea that the switch 2 will have better RT performance than the PS5 and Series X is not at all implausible to me. AMD is just that far behind

this guy gets it.

Doctor_MG said:

I feel like the better ray tracing is a possibility. Because that is a thing that is advancing in hardware right now. PS5 is like 4 year old tech so I would think even though its a portable the Switch 2 could plausibly have better ray tracing using Nvidia's AI powered chips. My only question is, even if the AI chipset can do ray tracing at a much lower cost, how much power is that still gonna use? I would think ray tracing will only be turned on in docked mode, and even then I would have t to guess ray tracing will be the type of thing that gets left out of many games due to resource constraints. It's much better to use limited resources for other things than just extra cool lighting.

And i don't think anyone is saying comparable visuals to the consoles. I think its more likely Switch 2 may have nearly as good visuals at much lower settings, and only capable of that due to Nvidia's AI chips that let the system do more for less than what it takes on consoles. Like the same game as on PS5 running on Switch 2 with ray tracing turned off for performance reasons, 30fps instead of 60fps, 1080p (upscaled to that using DLSS) instead of 4k, but with only minor graphical downgrades. Something like that, a much smaller gap than Switch to Xb1/PS4. So, comparable visuals on lower settings thanks to much more advanced chips in Switch 2 that closes the gap in a way that wasn't possible when Switch was released. That I think is doable.

aTokenYeti said:

At what cost.  Time and again, Nintendo has shone no interest in chasing high performance hardware and thus saying that Nintendo will have a chipset that outperforms PS5 and Series X when both systems still cost a pretty penny is where I see the grain of salt.  From my understanding Nintendo rarely if ever sell their hardware at loss so just because their new system may have certain features that Nvidia cards have, we will need to see how well those features actually work within the chipset Nintendo is willing to pay for.

NintendoPie said:

Slownenberg said:

he's not a random person.

He doesn't work at Nintendo and this isn't Nintendo releasing this info. So yes, he's a random person. Someone who is putting out rumors that may or may not be true. Which is not remotely what the word confirmed means. This is a rumor. Plain and simple. Confirmation would be Nintendo telling us this stuff.