Resident Evil 6 7.32%

Tomb Raider 6 7.32%

Super Mario 64 39 47.56%

Mario Kart 64 3 3.66%

Other (please specify) 10 12.20%

Total:82
Spike0503 said:
Vinther1991 said:

The first Crash was solid, but I just cannot fathom how they came up with the save game mechanic. It is one of the most stupid game design decisions I have ever seen.

Totally fair criticism. I grew up with it so I can handle it but watching my wife go through the game with that painful save system that doesn't even record the number of lives you have made me understand how bad it is. It's the biggest flaw in an otherwise awesome game which thankfully got fixed for the sequels. I still love it though!

Same! I still play the original Crash from time to time via emulators and I get absolutely INSANE nostalgia the second I see the Universal Interactive logo and the music kicks in. Feels good! 

Around the Network

Super Mario RPG easily.

Cant wait for the remake next month! Day 1!!!

Pokemon Red/Blue would have to take the cake. Its what started the phenomenon and still holds up as the best Pokemon game iv played. Its showing my age alittle bit to.

gtotheunit91 said:
Spike0503 said:

Totally fair criticism. I grew up with it so I can handle it but watching my wife go through the game with that painful save system that doesn't even record the number of lives you have made me understand how bad it is. It's the biggest flaw in an otherwise awesome game which thankfully got fixed for the sequels. I still love it though!

Same! I still play the original Crash from time to time via emulators and I get absolutely INSANE nostalgia the second I see the Universal Interactive logo and the music kicks in. Feels good! 

Agreed! So much nostalgia. I play the game on my PS3 and it's always a fun playthrough. I remember I got my copy of the game in an online purchase where it came in along with Crash 2 on a package with a PS One. The console ended up being a bust so that sucked! (lol) but the games work great to this day and that's the way I started my PS1 collection.

Vinther1991 said:

Super Mario 64 is a phenomenal game that means a lot to me, it really perfected platforming in 3D space. It was the first home console game and first 3D game I ever played. However, no game captures the magic of video games the way the gameplay of NiGHTS into Dreams does. The level design and music was amazing, the sense of speed and fluid controls was unmatched. Even the boss fights were unique and incredible. It gets my vote.

Another masterful Saturn release was of course Panzer Dragoon Zwei, which was a massive step over the original, and along with NiGHTS, perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing 3D games of the era, and it really expanded on the lore of the universe.
The first Crash was solid, but I just cannot fathom how they came up with the save game mechanic. It is one of the most stupid game design decisions I have ever seen.

NiGHTS!! Another fantastic option! NiGHTS was one of my very, very favorite Saturn games, alongside the Panzer Dragoon titles. It wound up with the impossible task of, as a new IP, making up the Saturn sales that would've happened that fall if Sonic X-Treme had actually come out and could not rise to that challenge, but nonetheless I think it epitomized what that system came to represent. NiGHTS is literally the first game that comes to my mind when I hear the term "Sega Saturn". Nights is sort of the de facto Saturn mascot, I think.

Around the Network
axumblade said:

I thought Super Mario RPG would be an obvious win in this year but then I realized the Nintendo 64 came out the same year. Oh well, still gets my vote even if it’s going to get crushed by the competition. xD

I liked Super Mario RPG at least five times better than Super Mario 64 myself. It was the first Mario game to have a real story and character arcs and a message and it was ridiculously fun how Square incorporated many traditional Super Mario elements like platforming and fire flowers, et al, into an RPG framework. The art style is also among the most gorgeous on the Super NES. It was my favorite Mario game until Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (which remains my all-time fave Mario title) came out eight years later.

It's Donkey Kong Country 3.

antigin said:

Despite I loved so much & played a lot of Quake, Mario Kart 64, DKC3, DKL2, RE, Pokemon RGB, Duke 3D, Sonic 3D Blast, Saturn Bomberman, but for me the best is Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (PC) and by a huuuuge margin. Absolute bless)

Anyway what a Year, OMG

I wouldn't have expected anything else going by your NWC sig

Dreamcaster999 said:

So, looking at the way this poll is developing, "Other" may well finish 2nd with Mario on less than 50% of the vote. Following the rules, that would cause a run-off, but let's face it, Mario is the clear winner with more votes than "Other", Pokemon, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil combined (as of rn)

So if there is a run-off, I think so long as Mario maintains over 40%, it should just be for 2nd place

I also think people are tired of Nintendo winning these polls and other is getting more popular.  Though starting in 97 Nintendo will stop winning like they currently are.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

antigin said:

Despite I loved so much & played a lot of Quake, Mario Kart 64, DKC3, DKL2, RE, Pokemon RGB, Duke 3D, Sonic 3D Blast, Saturn Bomberman, but for me the best is Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (PC) and by a huuuuge margin. Absolute bless)

Anyway what a Year, OMG

I like the cut of your jib, son.  Heroes of Might and Magic 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's definitely my favorite game of this year.  I also like it better than Heroes 3.  However, I couldn't make myself put it into the poll, because I didn't think many people would vote for it.  I might be able to find a space for Heroes 3, though, when the time comes.  It's the most popular game of the series.