Resident Evil 6 7.32%

Tomb Raider 6 7.32%

Super Mario 64 39 47.56%

Mario Kart 64 3 3.66%

Other (please specify) 10 12.20%

Total:82
SvennoJ said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Those sound good on paper, but do you plan on voting for those over Diablo or any of the console games in 1997?  If so, which one?

I plan on voting for Gran Turismo, it launched in 1998 in Europe and NA though, but I guess first release date (December 23 1997 Japan) counts?

For PC, Diablo is my most memorable experience of 97, next to Riven and Dungeon Keeper. But can only vote for one :/

Gran Turismo would definitely take my vote for 97, but with Diablo being considered on that year... not anymore =/

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
SvennoJ said:

I plan on voting for Gran Turismo, it launched in 1998 in Europe and NA though, but I guess first release date (December 23 1997 Japan) counts?

For PC, Diablo is my most memorable experience of 97, next to Riven and Dungeon Keeper. But can only vote for one :/

Gran Turismo would definitely take my vote for 97, but with Diablo being considered on that year... not anymore =/

I might change my mind still. Gran Turismo didn't really blow my mind until GT4, or rather until the Nordschleife was added (can't believe Forza 8 is launching without that track ugh). Diablo nowadays has left a sour taste with the in game store and always online, but GT7 is no different :/

Placing myself back in 1997, Diablo definitely got a lot more play time and was a lot more engaging to me at the time.
Yeah I'm leaning towards Diablo now, still also want to vote for Riven and Dungeon Keeper :)

This year I'm sticking to Wipeout 2097, that game helped me through some dark times and the soundtrack still gets the emotions going, in a good way.

Just the first notes and I'm already flying through the tracks again on my old CRT projector. The best part were the instant restarts while the music kept going, no break in the flow.

Btw, I guess I know what you'll be voting for in '99 :)

Went with Resident Evil even though looking back at it the tank controls of it and all the RE games before RE4 where pretty bad. Also, Soul Edge/Blade should have been mentioned in the other noticeable games category. That game took weapons-based fighting games to another level.

SvennoJ said:
BraLoD said:

I might change my mind still. Gran Turismo didn't really blow my mind until GT4, or rather until the Nordschleife was added (can't believe Forza 8 is launching without that track ugh). Diablo nowadays has left a sour taste with the in game store and always online, but GT7 is no different :/

Placing myself back in 1997, Diablo definitely got a lot more play time and was a lot more engaging to me at the time.
Yeah I'm leaning towards Diablo now, still also want to vote for Riven and Dungeon Keeper :)

This year I'm sticking to Wipeout 2097, that game helped me through some dark times and the soundtrack still gets the emotions going, in a good way.

Just the first notes and I'm already flying through the tracks again on my old CRT projector. The best part were the instant restarts while the music kept going, no break in the flow.

Btw, I guess I know what you'll be voting for in '99 :)

I'm in love with GT since 1, but specially since 2, but that game released the same year as LoD, so GT is really not getting an easy going here for me, lol.

I liked GT7 quite a lot, but I also love GT6 that people seems to hate, so what do I know, lol.

Apologies to my beloved Crash Bandicoot (what a great game!) but I gotta go with Resident Evil. It's not only one of my favorites in the horror genre but also one of my favorite games ever. It's one of the games I've played the most in my life (at least 20 times by now!) and when I first played it, it marked a sharp divide between what I thought all games were about (family-friendly stuff) to other places I never expected gaming to go into. I love it to death! Recently, I've been playing the RE2 remake and while I'm having a blast, I can't wait to play the OG Resident Evil later this month.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

I'm in love with GT since 1, but specially since 2, but that game released the same year as LoD, so GT is really not getting an easy going here for me, lol.

I liked GT7 quite a lot, but I also love GT6 that people seems to hate, so what do I know, lol.

I loved GT Sport to death, which also a lot of people seem to hate. I finished near 15 thousand online races in GT Sport
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1495257
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/1495257/history/courseStats

GT1 and GT2 I mostly played while drunk after clubbing. It was our cool down game. GT3 A-Spec is when I started doing the campaign, GT4 is when I really got into it and GT5 got me into online racing. GT6 was a bit of a disruption as half the people I raced with moved over, the other half stuck with GT5 :/ GT6 was good though, yet the shiny new ps4 took its thunder.

Everyone has a different favorite GT game, so gonna be hard for it to track anywhere lol. Although GT4 seems the most universally loved for its campaign mode.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Can't go wrong with Age of Empires, Quake II, Fallout, or Ultima Online to pair with Diablo for PC in 1997

Those sound good on paper, but do you plan on voting for those over Diablo or any of the console games in 1997?  If so, which one?

Age of Empires was a big hit, and honestly, my pick for 1997 (as much as Fallout is one of all-time favourite games). Just my 2 cents.

Ended up giving it to Pokémon.
Was close to vote Mario 64 for pushing the gaming experience. Felt I could not hand it to a game I personally do not enjoy playing. Even if I do not want to return to the first Pokémon games I enjoyed them very much in their time. The influence is nothing to scuff at either, but not in a technical way the same as Mario 64.

Voted Resident Evil. Probably my first horror game, and one of the first 3D games I saw. It was a groundbreaking experience.

Early Tomb Raider games were great too. My father  (not a gamer) had Tomb Raider (and Resident Evil) on his bussiness PC which I had limited access to, but I only played TR2, 3 and 4 on PS1 and didn't get around to playing the original game.

So, looking at the way this poll is developing, "Other" may well finish 2nd with Mario on less than 50% of the vote. Following the rules, that would cause a run-off, but let's face it, Mario is the clear winner with more votes than "Other", Pokemon, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil combined (as of rn)

So if there is a run-off, I think so long as Mario maintains over 40%, it should just be for 2nd place