X-Com 2 2.17%

Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles 5 5.43%

Donkey Kong Country 18 19.57%

Earthbound 6 6.52%

Final Fantasy VI 21 22.83%

Super Metroid 29 31.52%

Other (please specify) 4 4.35%

Total:92

Tekken was quickly bettered by its sequels and other 3D fighters, Doom II is awesome, but I prefer the original. Sonic 3 and Knockles is amazing, I struggled getting into Donkey Kong Country. Unfortunately never played XCOM, Super Metroid or Final Fantasy VI.
My favorite game of 1994 is actually Tempest 2000 for the Atari Jaguar. An amazing step up from the original, outstanding arcade tube shooter with trippy visuals and soundtrack. One of my favorite games of all time.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:

Tekken was quickly bettered by its sequels and other 3D fighters, Doom II is awesome, but I prefer the original. Sonic 3 and Knockles is amazing, I struggled getting into Donkey Kong Country. Unfortunately never played XCOM, Super Metroid or Final Fantasy VI.
My favorite game of 1994 is actually Tempest 2000 for the Atari Jaguar. An amazing step up from the original, outstanding arcade tube shooter with trippy visuals and soundtrack. One of my favorite games of all time.

Great pick! Tempest 2000 is an excellent game and arguably the Jaguar’s killer app.

Hmm…. Final Fantasy or the RTS games? Both were huge at the time.

I guess XCOM for me as a personal choice, but I think this is the era of FF.

SvennoJ said:
Mnementh said:

Excellent game and all my infos say it is a '95 game.

Yeah I just corrected that:

Parallax Software and Interplay followed the shareware model used by Apogee and id Software, and on December 24, 1994;[23] uploaded a seven-level shareware demo as Descent both in retail and on the Internet.[13]

The full game for MS-DOS was released on March 17, 1995,[16][24] followed by a Macintosh port published by MacPlay in December 1995.[25]

We were playing the Christmas version, I remember being home for the holidays (from university) and trying out this new game with my friends from high school. We sucked at it at first, mostly stuck to the walls lol. But after a while it clicked and become a favorite.

Ah, so it had early access. Don't remember that at all.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Donkey Kong Country for me. Talk about a perfect, timeless package from the graphics, level design, and especially the music. There was nothing to not love about DKC.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

Hey, what you call X-COM is actually an european game called UFO:Enemy Unknown that only in America was called X-COM:UFO Defense. Also the GOTY easily.

You missed out some pretty good games both in your list and your extension list:

Then we have one of the best fighting games ever, One Must Fall:2097. From a company Epic Megagames, not some losers only called Epic. It had cool stuff after fight, like a news recap and your mechanic telling you, your robot got too much damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fGM1cvUQv8

Oh yeah, OMF rocks hard! Making it even more difficult to choose which game for the year

Mnementh said:

We have the open world adventure game Robinson's Requiem, which used Voxel graphics and simulated oh so many systems. For instance you had not simply health points, no you could be sick with all sorts of illnesses and could overheat or be too cool. Some degree of simulation I only ever saw much later again in Project Zomboid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q1TBTV3ho

Have you tried it's successor, DEUS (NO relation to Deus Ex)? There the simulation got upped to 11. I mean, what other games do you know where you can die from hunger, thirst, food poisoning, heart attack due to too much stress, widespread gangrenes, asphyxiation, alcohol poisoning, heat stroke, undercooling, medicine poisoning or drug overdose in general? Or games where you can amputate both legs, arms or even both eyes (turning the game into a black screen with sound btw), need different medicines for different afflictions (the manual actually comes with a large medicine section explaining what you need to do)?

I haven't seen anything that got even anywhere close to this level of survival simulation ever since. Too bad that game wasn't exactly great.

Yeah, I only learned in recent years about Deus. Must try it at some point.

EDIT: Oh, watching the video (cursory, as I don't want to watch the full game), seems they opted for polygons for Deus, in difference to RRs voxels.

EDIT 2: Also, as I mentioned, the only game getting close with this depth of simulation is Project Zomboid. Which has stress as well as boredom. Stress can seriously reduce your hit chance with weapons, so it is a game where smoking cigarettes has a real effect. And also food poisoning, broken limbs and all that. If you choose as negative perk being deaf, the game omits all sound effects, which seriously can make a difference. So if you are interested in that level of simulation, when this is an option. Although Zomboid has top-down perspective, not first person. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdrruUmv1eE

Last edited by Mnementh - on 06 October 2023

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Another great game for the year was Might & Magic: World of Xeen, which combined the two previous games (Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen) into one single game with some additional quests that need you to travel to both sides. This version is often considered the highlight of the Might & Magic series

Super Metroid is amazing, but I have to give it to Donkey Kong Country. Very nostalgic game for me and a series I absolutely adore. The music alone is just legendary. Love the Metroid series as well though.

I haven't said anything on these yet, but this one I'm passionate about.

Super Metroid is the game of the ever.

I didn't get into Tekken until Tekken 2, nor Donkey Kong until Land, so I shalln't vote for them.

My vote goes to Other. Either Descent (if it counts) or Theme Park.