By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct set for September 14 at 7:00 a.m. PT / 10:00 a.m. ET

curl-6 said:

Right after watching I thought it was pretty terrible, but after sleeping on it, I'm warmed a little.

Ending on a remaster was a downer and a lot of it was low quality filler, but I am interested in Princess Peach Showtime, Splatoon 3 Side Order, and Prince of Persia The Lost Crown. Not entirely sold on any of them yet, but I will keep an eye on them.

It was very much an end-of-life show where it's clear Nintendo has moved on to the next system and is relying on smaller titles to hold down the fort, but compared to the barren final stretches of Wii and Wii U, it's a veritable smorgasbord.

I know the feeling. The feeling of having just watched something incredibly boring, despite reading about the content on a site like IGN or Kotaku recapping the direct gets you thinking that the lineup was pretty good.

Just my thought, it’s not the lineups that are the issue, rather that the General Direct format isn’t a good delivery system for that info, at least how they currently do it.

I’ve started just reading the announcements and watching the trailers I think look interesting. This Direct had several sites with comprehensive breakdowns soon after the Direct aired. I find I come away feeling a lot better about the content right from the get-go.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Slownenberg said:

As far as fzero, didn't someone at Nintendo state in the past year or so that Nintendo would only make a new Fzero if they came up with a new gameplay gimmick for it. Granted that's an extremely dumb excuse for not making another Fzero game, but that means there is clearly not an Fzero even in planning stages yet alone deep in development or near release. Nintendo clearly has no current plans to make another Fzero.

That said, between FzeroX being on NSO (and the game still plays fantastic!) and Fzero99 we at least have some fun Fzero stuff to play on Switch. I'm hoping next gen GC gets added to NSO Expansion Pack and we get FzeroGX on there in a few years. Who knows, maybe by like 2030 Nintendo will actually decide to make a new Fzero game lol

And good to see they are occasionally adding even more value to NSO beyond just the retro games, the retro games make the membership well worth the price but extra value is always nice! It sucks that Pacman99 is about to be removed, and really dumb they randomly took Mario35 down after a few months, but at least there is still Fzero99 now and Tetris99.

I don't get why Pac-Man 99 is shutting down, and F-Zero 99 still feels like an insult.

Why do you feel insulted?? Fzero99 is really cool. It's not like there was any reason to expect Nintendo to suddenly announce a new Fzero game haha, we all know they aren't working on one. Seems like Fzero fans should be pumped about 99, instead ya'll just complain when something Fzero finally comes out lol. 20 years with nothing and then a cool online multiplayer Fzero game comes out and everyone just complains, that's messed up. Fzero99 is very obviously the exact opposite of an insult. Nintendo put out an online multiplayer chaotic SNES Fzero game much updated and more interesting than the original SNES Fzero for free on NSO...that's a love letter to Fzero fans, not an insult. Nintendo fans be whack lol seems like Nintendo fans take complaining as a lifestyle.

Offline Pacman99 modes I think are staying around, so I would assume they just decided keeping the servers on isn't worth the cost.

Slownenberg said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I don't get why Pac-Man 99 is shutting down, and F-Zero 99 still feels like an insult.

Why do you feel insulted?? Fzero99 is really cool. It's not like there was any reason to expect Nintendo to suddenly announce a new Fzero game haha, we all know they aren't working on one. Seems like Fzero fans should be pumped about 99, instead ya'll just complain when something Fzero finally comes out lol. 20 years with nothing and then a cool online multiplayer Fzero game comes out and everyone just complains, that's messed up. Fzero99 is very obviously the exact opposite of an insult. Nintendo put out an online multiplayer chaotic SNES Fzero game much updated and more interesting than the original SNES Fzero for free on NSO...that's a love letter to Fzero fans, not an insult. Nintendo fans be whack lol seems like Nintendo fans take complaining as a lifestyle.

Offline Pacman99 modes I think are staying around, so I would assume they just decided keeping the servers on isn't worth the cost.

Can Pac-Man 99 at least be played locally with another person offline?

Slownenberg said:

MK Wave 6...I'm confused, is there only one new course??? Aren't there 8 courses per wave? Or did they for some reason only decide to show off one course?

They said it was a teaser. They always did it like that. Even this June. Someone was also confused about it then.

h2ohno said:
curl-6 said:

Right after watching I thought it was pretty terrible, but after sleeping on it, I'm warmed a little.

Ending on a remaster was a downer and a lot of it was low quality filler, but I am interested in Princess Peach Showtime, Splatoon 3 Side Order, and Prince of Persia The Lost Crown. Not entirely sold on any of them yet, but I will keep an eye on them.

It was very much an end-of-life show where it's clear Nintendo has moved on to the next system and is relying on smaller titles to hold down the fort, but compared to the barren final stretches of Wii and Wii U, it's a veritable smorgasbord.

Exactly.  Nintendo has for over 20 years left its outgoing system with almost no support the year before its next system releases.  N64 had very little in 2001 as development shifted to Gamecube, and the Gamecube in 2006 as development shifted to Wii.  Though compared to the support the handhelds have gotten this might be weaker.  The GBA and DS still got plenty of support even after their successors were released (Pokemon Black/White 2 comes to mind).

That’s the big benefit of having a unified platform rather than separate handheld and home console lines. Look at years like 2005 when Nintendo was actively developing games for GBA, GC, DS & Wii simultaneously or 2011 developing games for DS, Wii, 3DS & Wii U simultaneously. Now they just have to worry about Switch & Switch 2 which likely have a lot more development similarities than the previous consoles listed (I also wouldn’t be surprised if many early Switch 2 games are basically Switch 1 games with higher resolution/performance).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

This is by far my favourite F-Zero game, ever.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I think this direct was a 7/10.

Honestly, just seeing Nintendo acknowledge F-Zero with a new entry after three generations is nice.
It may not be for me, but at least they're no longer letting it gather dust in the attic. And who knows, maybe this smaller project is meant to gauge interest on whether it's worth revisiting the series on a larger scale.

So, assuming 2024 is the final year of the Switch before the arrival of its successor, it's lineup is looking remarkably solid. A little light on brand new big games, but there's Princess Peach Showtime, Prince of Persia, Splatoon 3 Side Order, Eiyuden Chronicle, Unicorn Overlord, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Another Code Collection, Tomb Raider 1-3 remastered, The Plucky Squire... not bad at all, especially considering what the last year of a Nintendo console typically looks like post-SNES.

I honestly think this is the best Direct they've done in a while. And I was very pleased by what they showed because it shows the Switch is still going to get plenty of support and solid games to play on it even w/ Switch 2 right around the corner, which is exactly what I wanted to see and expected.

The thing to remember is the Switch halfway through Year 7. Just about every single game and franchise Nintendo has in their catalogue has come and gone on the Switch, some w/ multiple iterations.

They are very clearly shifting gears and priorities towards the impending launch of Switch 2 and making sure THAT gets off to a flying start so that will set them up and carry them through the end of the decade. So, the next 3D Mario, or new Donkey Kong platformer, or any potential franchise revivals, or new IPs they have high hopes and expectations for - They're saving those for Switch 2. At best, they might be cross-gen w/ the Switch, but I doubt they're gonna do that because they're going to want to incentivize as many Switch owners as possible to jump right into Switch 2 out of the gate.

What does that leave the Switch with? Exactly what you saw. Remasters, remakes, ports, niche games, and experimental titles. Which at this phase in the Switch's life cycle is perfectly fine. ESPECIALLY in the cases of Super Mario RPG and Thousand Year Door. Two universally acclaimed and beloved JRPGs that are no longer available for sale unless you purchase them off black market sites for double, sometimes triple, the standard retail price! One was on a system that was replaced nearly 30 years ago, the other was on a system that at least half the dedicated gaming market would consider a commercial failure and for good reason. These remasters and remakes are a great way to give those games a second chance/second life and to introduce their gameplay styles to newer generations and see how well they perform at little to no cost at all. If it succeeds, they’ve got a big winner on their hands that should be looked at further to see if they can be made into regular franchises - which is exactly what old fans of those games want! If not, oh well.

What’s one of, if not the biggest complaint, Nintendo frequently receives? Their inability or downright refusal to make their older games more easily and readily accessible to purchase now – which leads to many resorting to piracy in order to play them. And considering how Nintendo has a particularly strong stance towards piracy and their strict copyright laws, this leads to frustration and ill will from those fans towards them because if they would make them more accessible, they wouldn’t feel the need to pirate in the first place.

Another complaint, one w/ Paper Mario fans specifically. Is how the newer games departed from the old styled of gameplay in the franchise during PM64 and TTYD. For years, they have yearned for the series to return to that style and have been resistant or downright bitter towards Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Origami King because those games represent the departure and unwillingness on Nintendo’s part to return to that style… Well what better way to show them that you want them to go back to the style of Thousand Year Door… Than by buyng and supporting Thousand Year Door!

If you’re a fan begging for one or both of those things and you want them to see it your way. Well, this is how you do it! This is a business, not a charity. You have to speak in a language and manner businessmen will understand, and there’s no better way to do that than to show them where the money is! Especially if it can extend the Switch’s life cycle and give them more of a cushion to rely on as they prepare for the launch of their successor – doing everything they can to make sure THAT is successful for the sake of the company’s financial outlook.

And all the while, fans get not one, but two feathers in their cap – More classic games being made more accessible and updated, while building a stronger case for a return to the gameplay style they prefer.

It’s a win-win for everybody.

nice semi-drought direct, a few decent remakes but nothing too exciting - Metroid 4 not even mentioned

more or less confirms Switch 2 coming 2024?

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^