By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

Jumpin said:
Chrkeller said:

At what?  Because I think people need to pump the breaks on the "Sony is in trouble" comments?  It feels like you didn't read my post.

In summary I'm defensive because I think it is too soon to predict the downfall of sony in gaming???  Lol, OK then.  

My post has nothing to do with Sony (other than recalling the massive keyboard activism against PSX fans back in the day). It's that you're literally behaving just like the sorts of weird (yet predictable) reactions my post was describing: getting all defensive while protesting that you're being defensive, and resorting to keyboard activism.

The Sony defence thing was brought up by you as an excuse for your behaviour. Specifically, you're trying to convince me that your indignation is righteous via an overdramatized framing of a short line you found seven pages into this thread. If it's not already obvious to see how that's bullshit, clicking page 7, you already have a post at the top of the page being defensive BEFORE that line you claimed that triggered you :D

You can protest some more, act confused, but I think we're done.

Wow.  Yeah we are done.  

Fact is people talked on page 1 at how this announcement is a problem for Sony.  But since you don't discuss facts but feelings, yep we done.

"It really can affect the big 3."

Page 1, but don't let facts confuse your feelings.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 14 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

My post has nothing to do with Sony (other than recalling the massive keyboard activism against PSX fans back in the day). It's that you're literally behaving just like the sorts of weird (yet predictable) reactions my post was describing: getting all defensive while protesting that you're being defensive, and resorting to keyboard activism.

The Sony defence thing was brought up by you as an excuse for your behaviour. Specifically, you're trying to convince me that your indignation is righteous via an overdramatized framing of a short line you found seven pages into this thread. If it's not already obvious to see how that's bullshit, clicking page 7, you already have a post at the top of the page being defensive BEFORE that line you claimed that triggered you :D

You can protest some more, act confused, but I think we're done.

You are totally out of the loop on this. Soundwave has been posting lots of crazy stuff during the past two weeks, so every thread he participates in enters a downward spiral. It's not surprising that there's a decreasing amount of patience in his latest thread. It's also not surprising that outrageous claims spawn more responses than reasonable arguments.

Your contribution here is akin to someone posting Russian propaganda, facing backlash and then you coming in to say "Hey guys, we should give Russia the benefit of the doubt. They are reasonable like anybody else." That leaves us with two possible conclusions: Either you are a tool or you have absolutely no idea what's going on. Hence why I say that you are totally out of the loop.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

For me it's such a stupid discussion. Literally apple offers nothing of value when it comes to the competition.

No physical games

No exclusives 

No enough space for games

Way too expensive for people looking for a gaming device 

Doesn't come ready for gaming

They have so much disadvantages for the people looking primarily for gaming device it's like comparing apples to oranges.

zeldaring said:

(..) comparing apples to oranges.

Heh.

zeldaring said:

For me it's such a stupid discussion. Literally apple offers nothing of value when it comes to the competition.

No physical games

No exclusives 

They have so much disadvantages for the people looking primarily for gaming device it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I think next year when Apple shows AAA games running on their new 3nm M3 iPads next year (rumored to also have OLED displays) some people are going to get it. 

That's going to run like PS5 tier games on the go on a gorgeous big display with virtually any controller you want (Dual Shock, XBox pad, SN30 Pro, more compact Joycon type controllers? It doesn't matter). That's gonna be a mean mobile console. 

iPads already outsell any game console by a mile, but if they start getting serious games like the newest Resident Evils, Assassin's Creeds, maybe soon enough things like Final Fantasy and Madden NFLs and console quality NBA 2K ... that's gonna be interesting. It comes down to that, Apple has been making significant moves like having the Game Porting Toolkit which makes porting DX11/12 games from PC over a lot easier. 

The iPhone stuff is more neat, it's neat that a little phone that fits into your pocket can basically run PS4-tier games, but I view that more as a secondary thing. It wouldn't be the primary way I'd play a game, but it would be pretty cool if you buy a high-spec version of a game that works on your iPad or Macbook or Mac Mini and then you can just play the same game at a lower fidelity on your iPhone too if you've got a few minutes to spare. But even that is something to keep an eye on, as we know every iterative iPhone gets better performance, in 2-3 years the performance could be well past a PS4. 

They can do some really cool stuff with their ecosystem because a ton of people always have an iPhone in their pocket and millions are willing to pay big money for an iPad because it does a lot more than a game console does, it has a lot of utility in many people's households. If an iPad can work like a $500-$700 equivalent hybrid console, has a best in mobile class processor, and then is also a kick ass tablet with all that comes with that, suddenly $1000 even is entirely reasonable to a lot of folks. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 September 2023

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

No physical games

No exclusives 

I think next year when Apple shows AAA games running on their new 3nm M3 iPads next year (rumored to also have OLED displays) some people are going to get it. 

That's going to run like PS5 tier games on the go on a gorgeous big display with virtually any controller you want (Dual Shock, XBox pad, SN30 Pro, more compact Joycon type controllers? It doesn't matter). That's gonna be a mean mobile console. 

iPads already outsell any game console by a mile, but if they start get serious games like the newest Resident Evils, Assassin's Creeds, maybe soon enough things like Final Fantasy and Madden NFLs and console quality NBA 2K ... that's gonna be interesting. It comes down to that, Apple has been making significant moves like having the Game Porting Toolkit which makes porting DX11/12 games from PC over a lot easier. 

The iPhone stuff is more neat, it's neat that a little phone that fits into your pocket can basically run PS4-tier games, but I view that more as a secondary thing. It wouldn't be the primary way I'd play a game, but it would be pretty cool if you buy a high-spec version of a game that works on your iPad or Macbook or Mac Mini and then you can just play the same game at a lower fidelity on your iPhone too if you've got a few minutes to spare. But even that is something to keep an eye on, as we know every iterative iPhone gets better performance, in 2-3 years what are we talking about? 

They can do some really cool stuff with their ecosystem because a ton of people always have an iPhone in their pocket and millions are willing to pay big money for an iPad because it does a lot more than a game console does, it has a lot of utility in many people's households. 

you don't seem to understand many people don't give a crap about mobile gaming, and they just want a home console, and with x series/ ps5 you get a vastly better deal for people looking for that.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

iPads already outsell any game console by a mile, but if they start get serious games like the newest Resident Evils, Assassin's Creeds, maybe soon enough things like Final Fantasy and Madden NFLs and console quality NBA 2K ... that's gonna be interesting. It comes down to that, Apple has been making significant moves like having the Game Porting Toolkit which makes porting DX11/12 games from PC over a lot easier. 

The iPhone stuff is more neat, it's neat that a little phone that fits into your pocket can basically run PS4-tier games, but I view that more as a secondary thing. It wouldn't be the primary way I'd play a game, but it would be pretty cool if you buy a high-spec version of a game that works on your iPad or Macbook or Mac Mini and then you can just play the same game at a lower fidelity on your iPhone too if you've got a few minutes to spare. But even that is something to keep an eye on, as we know every iterative iPhone gets better performance, in 2-3 years what are we talking about? 

They can do some really cool stuff with their ecosystem because a ton of people always have an iPhone in their pocket and millions are willing to pay big money for an iPad because it does a lot more than a game console does, it has a lot of utility in many people's households. 

you don't seem to understand many people don't give a crap about mobile gaming, and they just want a home console, and with x series/ ps5 you get a vastly better deal for people looking for that.

Well I'm not really going to touch that first statement, because it's not even factually true. 

But the point is, this is not about mobile games. This is about AAA console/PC games that the Apple devices can now run because their chip processors have gotten so good and Apple has been getting more interested in gaming over the last few years (the rumblings are the Apple Arcade service is making more money than they thought). 

The PS5/X Series are not portable, and that is a big deal, as we can see the Switch outsold the PS4. Comfortably. Can Apple make a really, really impressive hybrid with their iPad? Yes they could for sure. And you also have the ability then to make an iPhone version too and let the player enjoy their game on a more premium device but also have the luxury of having that game in their pocket to play when ever they feel like too. I don't know if any gaming ecosystem can really claim anything like that. That whole "your game is always with you" concept can actually be a feasible reality there, as even with a Switch, who really carries that around everywhere they go. 

If a ROG Ally is like $700, but an iPad can run AAA games at better resolution/performance than that AND is a top of the line iPad too with a larger display and all the added utility that brings to normal people, suddenly a lot of those Steam Deck type devices have some serious competition. More people buy an iPad than any game console yearly and it's not even particularly close as is. 

If the gaming functionality on it starts to get really good ... that's just another big value add to the package. The other cool thing is you can choose whatever controller you want. Lots of PS owners prefer the XBox controller and vice versa, in this set up you can use either/or and anything else you want. 

I'm not saying this 100% going to be a hit, but there is definitely potential there. A lot of these 3rd parties are whoring themselves out on iOS anyway, like Square-Enix has like what? 8000 Final Fantasy games on iOS? lol. As the processing power gets up there it almost becomes a question why wouldn't they want to port their actual console/PC catalog too. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Well I'm not really going to touch that first statement, because it's not even factually true. 

But the point is, this is not about mobile games. This is about AAA console games that the Apple devices can now run because their chip processors have gotten so good and Apple has been getting more interested in gaming over the last few years (the rumblings are the Apple Arcade service is making more money than they thought). 

The PS5/X Series are not portable, and that is a big deal, as we can see the Switch outsold the PS4. Comfortably. Can Apple make a really, really impressive hybrid with their iPad? Yes they could for sure. And you also have the ability then to make an iPhone version too and let the player enjoy their game on a more premium device but also have the luxury of having that game in their pocket to play when ever they feel like too. I don't know if any gaming ecosystem can really claim anything like that, there's a lot of potential with that. 

If a ROG Ally is like $700, but an iPad can run AAA games at better resolution/performance than that AND is a top of the line iPad too with a larger display and all the added utility that brings to normal people, suddenly a lot of those Steam Deck type devices have some serious competition. More people buy an iPad than any game console yearly and it's not even particularly close as is. 

If the gaming functionality on it starts to get really good ... that's just another big value add to the package. 

Even though switch outsold ps4 and when you combine xbox and ps4 the market which are at 170 million its still a much bigger market for home consoles, not to mention AAA games are making living on home consoles not mobile lol which basically get 0 AAA games on the same release date. take away japans 20 million lead which doesn't even buy most AAA games other then nintendo's and ps4 and switch are neck and neck as well.

My first statement is factually true because many people buy pc's and home consoles, even many of the switch owners use it as only home consoles. They just wanna play games at home and have no interests on gaming on the go.  Another thing is steam deck has been getting AAA games and its a mobile device just look at its sales.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 September 2023

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

But the point is, this is not about mobile games. This is about AAA console games that the Apple devices can now run because their chip processors have gotten so good and Apple has been getting more interested in gaming over the last few years (the rumblings are the Apple Arcade service is making more money than they thought). 

The PS5/X Series are not portable, and that is a big deal, as we can see the Switch outsold the PS4. Comfortably. Can Apple make a really, really impressive hybrid with their iPad? Yes they could for sure. And you also have the ability then to make an iPhone version too and let the player enjoy their game on a more premium device but also have the luxury of having that game in their pocket to play when ever they feel like too. I don't know if any gaming ecosystem can really claim anything like that, there's a lot of potential with that. 

If the gaming functionality on it starts to get really good ... that's just another big value add to the package. 

Even though switch outsold ps4 and when you combine xbox and ps4 the market which are at 170 million its still a much bigger market for home consoles, not to mention AAA games are making living on home consoles not mobile lol which basically get 0 AAA games on the same release date. take away japans 20 million lead which doesn't even buy most AAA games other then nintendo's and ps4 and switch are neck and neck as well.

My first statement is factually true because many people buy pc's and home consoles, even many of the switch owners use it as only home consoles. They just wanna play games at home and have no interests on gaming on the go. 

You can play on your iPad at home too. Or Macbook. Those devices just have the added utility, unlike a Playstation 5 for example, that you can pick it up and take it with you if you're going to say a trip or plane ride or long bus ride or road trip.

"People who only ever stay inside their home" is a pretty niche audience, even Count Dracula leaves his castle. 

Switch is gonna end up around 150 mill, maybe even 160 mill, that's almost as much as the PS + XBox combined, to me that shows people like to be able to take their console games everywhere and not be dictated by form factor. 

They need to get the developer support and convince devs to port, but if the ports are relatively easy, these devs aren't exactly anti-Apple to begin with. Most of them have a serious amount of business invested in iOS (Capcom, Square-Enix, EA, Activision, Tencent, Rockstar, Sega ...) already and if Apple starts calling them and asking them to try moving some of their AAA games to Apple silicon, a lot of them are just going to probably say "why not". 

The porting tool they showed for PC to Apple silicon ports is pretty impressive too, you can in many cases get a rough running version of your game on Apple silicon running with just a few mouse clicks. Of course you will have to optimize in most cases, but that's still pretty crazy that they can do that. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

My first statement is factually true because many people buy pc's and home consoles, even many of the switch owners use it as only home consoles. They just wanna play games at home and have no interests on gaming on the go. 

You can play on your iPad at home too. Or Macbook. Those devices just have the added utility, unlike a Playstation 5 for example, that you can pick it up and take it with you if you're going to say a trip or plane ride or long bus ride or road trip.

"People who only ever stay inside their home" is a pretty niche audience, even Count Dracula leaves his castle. 

Switch is gonna end up around 150 mill, maybe even 160 mill, that's almost as much as the PS + XBox combined, to me that shows people like to be able to take their console games everywhere and not be dictated by form factor. 

If you theory was true why is steam deck selling like shit lol? it basically has all the AAA games since day 1. you might like the switch but switch is not where  AAA gaming is making their money selling games.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 September 2023