By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Switch 2 has 12GB RAM and 512GB internal storage

These specs would be...

better than I've expected 33 66.00%

about what I've expected 14 28.00%

worse than I've expected 3 6.00%

Total:50
Slownenberg said:
Chrkeller said:

Why are people skeptical of 512 storage? The average ps4 game is 40 to 60 gb.... isn't the switch 2 like the ps4? Nintendo has to prefer people to go digital over physical for the profit margins. I beleive the 512 gb storage more than the 12 gb ram.  128 gb isn't remotely enough, heck DLC will fill that up.  

You new to Nintendo or something? And have you never heard of SD cards? Your comment makes it seem like you have no knowledge of the Switch.

Plenty of Switch games are >10gb and it only has 32gb. Hell, some games on Switch are larger than the usable size of storage in the Switch. 512gb would be ENORMOUS compared to what one would expect for the next system. Everyone that has a Switch buys SD cards (unless they never buy digital) that have way more storage than the system. No reason to think next gen will be any different.

512gb is 16x larger than what the Switch has. So if Nintendo goes with the same storage strategy as Switch that would mean they expect games to get 16x larger. Obviously games are not getting 16x larger. Also, Nintendo makes affordable systems, so there is no reason to increase the cost of the system by adding a bunch of storage when they know regardless of how much storage they put in it people are going to need to get a large SD card as well. Everyone knows they will be getting an SD card far larger than what the system will have.

512gb would make no sense for Nintendo to do. 256gb is possible, though I would think it would be more likely the choice for a later upgraded model (the way Nintendo upgraded the OLED to 64gb). 128gb is very likely and would be in line with Nintendo's decision to do 32gb in the Switch. 

Wow, the Switch has 10 gb games!??!  

Final Fantasy Intergrade is literally 100 gb.

If the rumors are true and the switch is going to run ps4 to ps5 games....  128 gb isn't in the ballpark of being enough.  I have over 2 TB worth of ps4 games and over 1 tb in ps5 games.  

I don't think you understand how massive modern games are.

Either way I can't wait till this thing is announced.  Going to be a lot of disappointed people in my opinion.  

And I've had a switch since launch and have over 40 games.  It is my favorite system.

I'm just curious how Nintendo handles AAA ps5 games with cartridges given file size and required speeds.  Could be costly venture to developers.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 September 2023

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

I doubt it. The rumor about it being about as powerful as a regular PS4 sounds about right.

This rumour doesn't clarify any details of its "power"... 

It's just internal storage and ram (but doesn't detail speed of ram etc)

Mar1217 said:
KLXVER said:

I doubt it. The rumor about it being about as powerful as a regular PS4 sounds about right.

Doubting a rumor to trust another one ? 

Can't say I'd agree with either in any case. 

But going this rumor in mind, it would be difficult to think about Nintendo would manage to keep the price of such a system to 400$ or under ...

Anywoo, these type of rumors are gonna keep coming every single freaking day at this point. 

The Super Switch's gonna be everything and nothing all at once !

If the console were that powerful, it wouldn't fit into a handheld format anymore. There's no hardware currently in existence that could concievably deliver that kind of performance while being able to be used as a handheld. On the other hand, the most logical choice has roughly the raw power of the base PS4 - though with modern optimizations should be a good deal more performant in the end.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

If the console were that powerful, it wouldn't fit into a handheld format anymore. There's no hardware currently in existence that could concievably deliver that kind of performance while being able to be used as a handheld. On the other hand, the most logical choice has roughly the raw power of the base PS4 - though with modern optimizations should be a good deal more performant in the end.

On a 5nm manufacturing node @ 15W, which makes the most sense for reasons mentioned here, one should expect something on the order of performance of a GTX 1650 desktop, assuming (for good reason) Nintendo is sticking with Nvidia.

A GTX 1650 is decent bit (about 60%) more powerful than the PS4's GPU and more like the GPU in the PS4 Pro (of course without being bottlenecked by a crap CPU.)

In hand-held mode, roughly PS4 level makes sense though. 

The Switch 2 is also expected to have a lot more ram and a much, much better CPU than the PS4. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 11 September 2023

sc94597 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

On a 5nm manufacturing node @ 15W, which makes the most sense for reasons mentioned here, one should expect something on the order of performance of a GTX 1650 desktop, assuming (for good reason) Nintendo is sticking with Nvidia.

A GTX 1650 is decent bit (about 60%) more powerful than the PS4's GPU and more like the GPU in the PS4 Pro (of course without being bottlenecked by a crap CPU.)

The Switch 2 is also expected to have a lot more ram and a much, much better CPU than the PS4. 

This is the chip I was referencing too - but the performance results I found are quite a bit lower, only about half a 1050 or a third of a 1650's performance (You can find both of them when scrolling the chart). Keep in mind that this is the 8GB version, not the 16GB one, and it might have been running on a lower TDP, but that's still a good ways below a 1650 even when accounting for. I don't think that going from 8nm Samsung to 5nm TSMC alone has such a big impact to triple the performance.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:

I only have 2 request...
1) no more issues like the joycon drift
2) any "physical" collections coming to Nintendo's new system to have all the games on the cartridge and not some bs where you get 1 game on cartridge then download the rest.

I reckon I passed on about 50 games and collections because of the second point.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
sc94597 said:

This is the chip I was referencing too - but the performance results I found are quite a bit lower, only about half a 1050 or a third of a 1650's performance (You can find both of them when scrolling the chart). Keep in mind that this is the 8GB version, not the 16GB one, and it might have been running on a lower TDP, but that's still a good ways below a 1650 even when accounting for. I don't think that going from 8nm Samsung to 5nm TSMC alone has such a big impact to triple the performance.

Going from 8nm to 5nm improves performance by about 30% per watt. Even the "Drake" GPU that was rumored to be in the Switch 2 based on Ampere is between a GTX 1050ti (which is slightly above PS4 level) and a GTX 1650 in terms of performance. 

I don't know where you're getting "half a 1050" from. 

Edit: The Orin NX 8Gb you linked is not the same chip as the T239/"Drake chip". It has far fewer Compute Units (50% fewer CU's of the T239 rumor), is running at a 765 Mhz clock, and has fewer CPU cores (6 vs. 8.) It is designed for SBC's to do machine learning, not gaming. These SBC's don't have active cooling. The Switch 2 almost certainly will.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Tegra-T239-New-leak-offers-clues-about-rumours-next-generation-Nintendo-Switch-chipset.654330.0.html

Last edited by sc94597 - on 11 September 2023

Regarding the storage 

If it comes with only 128 gb of storage it can be as well as having storage only for the SO and saving files because 128 is as good as nothing considering the size of games nowadays...

I believe people are forgetting with the size of games getting bigger they will need more expensive cartridges. What I believe it will happen is they will no longer be able to fit all their games in cartridges, likely needing to store part of the games on the console which will need more storage 

I don't know how much it costs in your countries but 1 TB SD card from SanDisk can go as far as 140 USD. 512 are around 80 USD. I get you guys are thinking "but you already is buying SD Cards for base Switch", well yes but a simple 128 card (20 USD at time) was enough for my Switch with games being smaller and cartridges often having the full games. The idea everybody already has SD cards and taking from granted people will happily keep buying them is misguided because Switch games are much much smaller than the current AAA third party game sizes. This will no longer be true 

Unless devs start compressing the games better I fear that I will need at least 512 GB for a library even uninstalling games periodically. This is the storage of the least expensive PS4 model way back in 2023

Having this storage in the base system would be fantastic and make me save tons of money. I hope this rumors are true. I'm sure Nintendo can get internal storage for much cheaper prices than the final consumer could ever. 

Chrkeller said:
Slownenberg said:

You new to Nintendo or something? And have you never heard of SD cards? Your comment makes it seem like you have no knowledge of the Switch.

Plenty of Switch games are >10gb and it only has 32gb. Hell, some games on Switch are larger than the usable size of storage in the Switch. 512gb would be ENORMOUS compared to what one would expect for the next system. Everyone that has a Switch buys SD cards (unless they never buy digital) that have way more storage than the system. No reason to think next gen will be any different.

512gb is 16x larger than what the Switch has. So if Nintendo goes with the same storage strategy as Switch that would mean they expect games to get 16x larger. Obviously games are not getting 16x larger. Also, Nintendo makes affordable systems, so there is no reason to increase the cost of the system by adding a bunch of storage when they know regardless of how much storage they put in it people are going to need to get a large SD card as well. Everyone knows they will be getting an SD card far larger than what the system will have.

512gb would make no sense for Nintendo to do. 256gb is possible, though I would think it would be more likely the choice for a later upgraded model (the way Nintendo upgraded the OLED to 64gb). 128gb is very likely and would be in line with Nintendo's decision to do 32gb in the Switch. 

Wow, the Switch has 10 gb games!??!  

Final Fantasy Intergrade is literally 100 gb.

If the rumors are true and the switch is going to run ps4 to ps5 games....  128 gb isn't in the ballpark of being enough.  I have over 2 TB worth of ps4 games and over 1 tb in ps5 games.  

I don't think you understand how massive modern games are.

Either way I can't wait till this thing is announced.  Going to be a lot of disappointed people in my opinion.  

And I've had a switch since launch and have over 40 games.  It is my favorite system.

I'm just curious how Nintendo handles AAA ps5 games with cartridges given file size and required speeds.  Could be costly venture to developers.

Indeed they are massive, and this is why I also worry if they don't provide enough internal space as I don't think an SD card will be fast enough transfer speeds for next get games. Look at how the consoles bumped up their storage speed too, so Nintendo may have to do the same to counter act it. Perhaps the game carts will be super fast. I always wished that the new carts had enough space to also install the same files and patches on them.  Would be nice to also see an external backup solution like the WiiU had

What about NVMe SSD on Switch like the ones on Steam Deck? They are getting pretty cheap and can match PS5/XboX speeds.

I would Buy a 128GB Switch 2 if it's cheaper and then put a 512/1024 GB NVMe SSD