By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Xbox One/Ps4 level performance leaked through MS, basically it's an email showing that when Activision said it was around that spec they weren't just guessing, they'd already been briefed directly. So most likely you are right.

And I can't wait.  Ps3 to ps4 was a nice jump.  Dark Souls 3 is way more impressive than Souls 1 in atmosphere and fidelity.

Yea its gonna be a massive jump for switch. still can't believe we didn't get a pro with how out dated the graphics looked since the 2020's

Around the Network

Switch 2 will have many PS5-XSX games. Many. The Switch as is has quite a few PS4-XB1 only games that are not on the PS3 or 360 and would never have come to Wii U.

Now you can piss and moan about people enjoying things on different hardware, but that's certainly going to happen. And they will likely look better than the Switch 1 "impossible ports".

For one DLSS will make those fugly low-res 720p ports look way better than what they do look natively. Even 540p on DLSS ... compare native 540p to DLSS 540p-to-1080p ... it looks miles better. On top of just the frame scaling you're getting free anti-aliasing to boot which is going to be a godsend to a lot of Switch titles. Secondly this generation has a lower end floor to begin with with XBox Series S which runs basically every 3rd party game, last gen didn't have a 1/3 XBox One as the floor so the Switch 1 had a harder mountain to climb.

Thirdly, diminishing returns is real. There are not many games that look that far beyond PS4 to begin with because there is a development cost that is crippling that comes with that.

Gamers who think you can just have massive graphical improvements every console cycle and not have to pay the people who work on those games or have them work at 1/4 the rate as people making CGI for movies and things like that are naive. You're not getting graphics approaching CG movies without the cost of CG movies. A 90 minute CG movie can cost upwards of $200 million and game often needs to be 30-40-50 hours with multiple more environments. Who's paying for that? It takes hundreds of people a half decade to make something like that. You have to pay those people. Very few studios can afford to make games at that level.

Japanese studios especially can't afford that shit. Square-Enix is probably learning the hard way right now that they overspent on FF16 and aren't going to get the sales growth that they were hoping for, I doubt it even sells 10 million copies unless it's heavily discounted on PC for years and years. Their stock price has bombed this year. 

All that works in Switch 2's favor.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 24 September 2023

Soundwave said:

Switch 2 will have many PS5-XSX games. Many. The Switch as is has quite a few PS4-XB1 only games that are not on the PS3 or 360 and would never have come to Wii U.

Now you can piss and moan about people enjoying things on different hardware, but that's certainly going to happen. And they will likely look better than the Switch 1 "impossible ports".

For one DLSS will make those fugly low-res 720p ports look way better than what they do look natively. Even 540p on DLSS ... compare native 540p to DLSS 540p-to-1080p ... it looks miles better. On top of just the frame scaling you're getting free anti-aliasing to boot which is going to be a godsend to a lot of Switch titles. Secondly this generation has a lower end floor to begin with with XBox Series S which runs basically every 3rd party game, last gen didn't have a 1/3 XBox One as the floor so the Switch 1 had a harder mountain to climb.

Thirdly, diminishing returns is real. There are not many games that look that far beyond PS4 to begin with because there is a development cost that is crippling that comes with that.

Gamers who think you can just have massive graphical improvements every console cycle and not have to pay the people who work on those games or have them work at 1/4 the rate as people making CGI for movies and things like that are naive. You're not getting graphics approaching CG movies without the cost of CG movies. A 90 minute CG movie can cost upwards of $200 million and game often needs to be 30-40-50 hours with multiple more environments. Who's paying for that? It takes hundreds of people a half decade to make something like that. You have to pay those people. Very few studios can afford to make games at that level.

Japanese studios especially can't afford that shit. Square-Enix is probably learning the hard way right now that they overspent on FF16 and aren't going to get the sales growth that they were hoping for, I doubt it even sells 10 million copies unless it's heavily discounted on PC for years and years. Their stock price has bombed this year. 

Nobody is moaning about anything.  I fully support any and all gaming preferences. 

The more 7 remake is ported and sold the more likely it is we might see 6 or Trigger remakes.  I'm all for it.  

Only thing I've said, and I'll be right, is the switch 2 isn't matching ps5 visuals.  And that is fine, given most don't care.  

You tend to fight arguments nobody made.

Hell as a ps5 owner I fully support Sony porting to PC.  I don't do console wars.  The more available games there are the better.  Hardware is a tool for entertainment, not some personal badge of honor.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Nobody is moaning about anything.  I fully support any and all gaming preferences. 

The more 7 remake is ported and sold the more likely it is we might see 6 or Trigger remakes.  I'm all for it.  

Only thing I've said, and I'll be right, is the switch 2 isn't matching ps5 visuals.  And that is fine, given most don't care.  

Hell as a ps5 owner I fully support Sony porting to PC.  I don't do console wars.  The more available games there are the better.  Hardware is a tool for entertainment, not some personal badge of honor.

Yea i don't mind ps5 games being ported to PC as well. I think for him its about Nintendo doing good or maybe crushing the competition. maybe he really loves handheld gaming cause i don't see whats the big deal about the switch 2 getting third party games considering current gen consoles has been out for 4 years by the time switch 2 comes, and who is waiting that long with out a ps4, PC, or current gen console so those games are available for almost every gamer.  

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

The Switch 2 is going to get a fuck ton more than just Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Write that down, take a picture of it, whatever. It will get a ton of PS5-XSX games for a variety of reasons more than the Switch 1 did and those ports likely will better relative than the Switch 1's versions did. 

"PS5 visuals" is just PS4 on steroids in most cases. These studios cannot afford to make games that look that much better because the budget would become obscene and the development time would become 7-10 years for some of these games. Even Sony's Spider-Man 2 ... it doesn't look that much better than Miles Morales on the PS4. If it did it would be launching in October 2025 and costing 40-50% more of their budget and that's just a stupid thing to ask for. 

And spare me the shit on trying to show this and that, I've seen it ... it's not a generational leap. Go look at a PS2 to PS3 a N64 to GameCube. That's a generational leap. Even Dreamcast from N64 was a massive leap compared to what we get now. And these graphics architectures are good, they're not a shit PS3 with a bizarre architecture that needed 3 years to be figured out, the modern AMD or Nvidia GPUs can be pushed to their max pretty much straight away, it's the budget and time issue that is the bottleneck reality. 

And you can downplay Steam Deck running modern games all you want but back in the day a PSP or DS wasn't running literal PS3 games at any settings at even 3 frames per second. No fucking way. Things are changing. Soon everything is going to be running all of these "modern" games. Phones, tablets, Switches, etc. etc.  These engines scale a lot further these days in part because there's diminishing returns at the top of the food chain. There's only like 2-3 studios in the world that can afford a $200 million dollar game to push the upper end, and a game of that budget would likely also require a development time in the range of a decade, so basically just GTA6. 

On top of all that you have the XBox Series S lowering the floor entirely for whatever graphics leap this generation was supposed to be by a massive amount.

The game industry is just not set up economically to handle budgets much higher than where they are now and development times are basically already at a point where many big ticket studios basically can only deliver one game per generation (cya in 2028 or 2029 for XBox Next Starfield/Elder Scrolls team). Movie budgets rose but people also paid double the price for movie tickets that they used to on top of double for popcorn and drinks. Gamers? Don't want to pay even $10 more for games as they were in the 90s/2000s while game budgets are like 10-20x higher. That's not gonna work. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

The Switch 2 is going to get a fuck ton more than just Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Write that down, take a picture of it, whatever. It will get a ton of PS5-XSX games for a variety of reasons more than the Switch 1 did and those ports likely will better relative than the Switch 1's versions did. 

"PS5 visuals" is just PS4 on steroids in most cases. These studios cannot afford to make games that look that much better because the budget would become obscene and the development time would become 7-10 years for some of these games. Even Sony's Spider-Man 2 ... it doesn't look that much better than Miles Morales on the PS4. If it did it would be launching in October 2025 and costing 40-50% more of their budget and that's just a stupid thing to ask for. 

And spare me the shit on trying to show this and that, I've seen it ... it's not a generational leap. Go look at a PS2 to PS3 a N64 to GameCube. That's a generational leap. Even Dreamcast from N64 was a massive leap compared to what we get now. And these graphics architectures are good, they're not a shit PS3 with a bizarre architecture that needed 3 years to be figured out, the modern AMD or Nvidia GPUs can be pushed to their max pretty much straight away, it's the budget and time issue that is the bottleneck reality. 

And you can downplay Steam Deck running modern games all you want but back in the day a PSP or DS wasn't running literal PS3 games at any settings at even 3 frames per second. No fucking way. Things are changing. Soon everything is going to be running all of these "modern" games. Phones, tablets, Switches, etc. etc.  These engines scale a lot further these days in part because there's diminishing returns at the top of the food chain. There's only like 2-3 studios in the world that can afford a $200 million dollar game to push the upper end, and a game of that budget would likely also require a development time in the range of a decade, so basically just GTA6. 

On top of all that you have the XBox Series S lowering the floor entirely for whatever graphics leap this generation was supposed to be by a massive amount.

The game industry is just not set up economically to handle budgets much higher than where they are now and development times are basically already at a point where many big ticket studios basically can only deliver one game per generation (cya in 2028 or 2029 for XBox Next Starfield/Elder Scrolls team). Movie budgets rose but people also paid double the price for movie tickets that they used to on top of double for popcorn and drinks. Gamers? Don't want to pay even $10 more for games as they were in the 90s/2000s. That's not gonna work. 

I stopped reading after the bolded part.  You continue to fight arguments that were never made.  And nobody cares.  The switch 2 can get all the ports on the planet and I think that would be great.

At this point you aren't even trying, thus I'm not sure why I should even notice your existence.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

The game industry is just not set up economically to handle budgets much higher than where they are now and development times are basically already at a point where many big ticket studios basically can only deliver one game per generation (cya in 2028 or 2029 for XBox Next Starfield/Elder Scrolls team). Movie budgets rose but people also paid double the price for movie tickets that they used to on top of double for popcorn and drinks. Gamers? Don't want to pay even $10 more for games as they were in the 90s/2000s. That's not gonna work. 

I stopped reading after the bolded part.  You continue to fight arguments that were never made.  And nobody cares.  The switch 2 can get all the ports on the planet and I think that would be great.

At this point you aren't even trying, thus I'm not sure why I should even notice your existence.

But yet you're posting 800000 times in my threads every day, maybe leave. Like I don't need you in my threads and no one will miss you when you and your alt personality friend are gone as you're not bringing anything to this topic. And I thought this was made clear to you yesterday, but apparently you can't grasp the concept. 

You went through this one night ago and you're still so dense you still keep showing up like a (insert whatever phrase you want here). 

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Yea i don't mind ps5 games being ported to PC as well. I think for him its about Nintendo doing good or maybe crushing the competition. maybe he really loves handheld gaming cause i don't see whats the big deal about the switch 2 getting third party games considering current gen consoles has been out for 4 years by the time switch 2 comes, and who is waiting that long with out a ps4, PC, or current gen console so those games are available for almost every gamer.  

I can’t speak for Soundwave, but I think having games like Street Fighter VI, Elden Ring, Tekken 8, FFVII Remake, etc., would help build a better perception for the Switch 2. Even with games like The Witcher 3, DOOM and DOOM Eternal, and Nier Automata releasing on Switch, enough people said that it’s outdated, low-powered hardware. They hope that Nintendo would have more powerful hardware so games like Xenoblade, Zelda, Mario, etc., can look beautiful and such on 4k and whatever helps them from a graphics and performance perspective.

I don’t necessarily think that the third party games I mentioned will do incredible sales-wise on a hypothetical Switch 2, but don’t you think we could see an expansion of those audiences if they were to release on an upcoming Switch 2? I personally have Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, and Street Fighter VI on PS4, but if they were to come out on Switch 2, I would buy them again in a heart beat to show that third parties can sell on a Nintendo console. Over 1 billion software units were sold on Switch, but I doubt more people believe third parties can sell on Switch even despite that incredible number.

If you still question it, outside of the first party games, what games do you think would grab people’s attention regarding Switch 2? I doubt Square will develop a mainline FF game specifically for the Switch 2 Ala Monster Hunter Rise. Capcom will likely develop MHR2 if World 2 doesn’t come to Switch 2. Other than that, i don’t know if Capcom will be as committed to Switch 2 as say PS5 in terms of new games. DQXII and IIIHD are likely coming to Switch 2. I don’t know if Harada will care enough to bring modern Tales of games to Switch 2. Sega has dragged their feet in regards to releasing any of the Yakuza games on Switch so what could possibly change for them on Switch 2?

I thought people said that third parties matter for a console’s success. So why we going to act as if games like Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, or Street Fighter VI won’t matter on Switch 2?

Kai_Mao said:
zeldaring said:

I can’t speak for Soundwave, but I think having games like Street Fighter VI, Elden Ring, Tekken 8, FFVII Remake, etc., would help build a better perception for the Switch 2. Even with games like The Witcher 3, DOOM and DOOM Eternal, and Nier Automata releasing on Switch, enough people said that it’s outdated, low-powered hardware. They hope that Nintendo would have more powerful hardware so games like Xenoblade, Zelda, Mario, etc., can look beautiful and such on 4k and whatever helps them from a graphics and performance perspective.

I don’t necessarily think that the third party games I mentioned will do incredible sales-wise on a hypothetical Switch 2, but don’t you think we could see an expansion of those audiences if they were to release on an upcoming Switch 2? I personally have Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, and Street Fighter VI on PS4, but if they were to come out on Switch 2, I would buy them again in a heart beat to show that third parties can sell on a Nintendo console. Over 1 billion software units were sold on Switch, but I doubt more people believe third parties can sell on Switch even despite that incredible number.

If you still question it, outside of the first party games, what games do you think would grab people’s attention regarding Switch 2? I doubt Square will develop a mainline FF game specifically for the Switch 2 Ala Monster Hunter Rise. Capcom will likely develop MHR2 if World 2 doesn’t come to Switch 2. Other than that, i don’t know if Capcom will be as committed to Switch 2 as say PS5 in terms of new games. DQXII and IIIHD are likely coming to Switch 2. I don’t know if Harada will care enough to bring modern Tales of games to Switch 2. Sega has dragged their feet in regards to releasing any of the Yakuza games on Switch so what could possibly change for them on Switch 2?

I thought people said that third parties matter for a console’s success. So why we going to act as if games like Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, or Street Fighter VI won’t matter on Switch 2?

Ports are a great idea.  More potential sales helps modern developers support high development costs.  And while many of us own multiple hardware I doubt average gamers do.  I could see a healthy market for Switch 2 ports.  I think it is a brilliant idea.  From Software, one of my favorite developers, selling additional Elden copies on the switch 2 is good for all of us.  I hope RE4 remake sells well enough to get a RE1 and RE CV remake.  Though with RE1 I guess that would be a remake of a remake.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 24 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Sony being so aggressive with sales and bundles despite the ps5’s healthy sales, kinda tells me that they want to build a big installed base asap before the Switch’s 2 launch, because the Switch 2 will indeed be powerful enough to receive acceptable ports of third party games. Make no mistake, PS is primarily a third party machine.