By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

Soundwave said:

Secondly this generation has a lower end floor to begin with with XBox Series S which runs basically every 3rd party game, last gen didn't have a 1/3 XBox One as the floor so the Switch 1 had a harder mountain to climb.

Thirdly, diminishing returns is real. There are not many games that look that far beyond PS4 to begin with because there is a development cost that is crippling that comes with that.

In addition to this, it's 3 years into the current console gen and cross gen games are still pretty dang normal. Meaning that developers are essentially forcing current console owners to get games that are held back a little bit by also having to make last gen versions. But I mean part of the reason they can probably do this is because of diminishing returns - make console games look a slightly bit better than last gen but in 4k it looks cleaner and people feel they got the next gen experience. Such a thing would NOT be acceptable on Switch/Switch2 because everyone expects a large generational leap, but its okay on consoles at this point because consoles are at the point of diminishing returns....probably the reason console owners put so much emphasis on trying to make 4k/60fps/ray tracing sound so important because the actual graphics aren't going to improve much from gen to gen at this point so putting the settings a bit higher and adding in cool special effects is the primary difference from last gen to this gen.

With generational leap for Switch 2, plus DLSS, all this allows Switch 2 to get much closer to console games than Switch was by turning the settings down and adding in DLSS. And therefore yeah it should be much easier to get good looking and less-effort console ports on Switch 2 than on Switch. And of course the reason that's important is that is the ONE thing software-wise Switch was missing - getting a decent amount of AAA third party games. If Switch 2 gets a decent amount of third party AAA games same day that the consoles get them, that'll be a nice extra for Nintendo gamers which honestly hasn't been the case since like the Gamecube era when Nintendo was still competing on power.

Around the Network

PS4/XBOne level makes perfect sense for portable mode.  

The developer comments don't contradict what we know about the hardware. Developers will be required to have their games run well in portable mode.

One would expect the GPU clock speed to be roughly 40-50% in portable mode of the docked clock speed. 

So you'd expect somewhere around 8th gen performance in portable mode, and somewhere between 8th gen pro performance and Series S in docked mode, likely closer to Series S because of the much better CPU, more memory, and modern feature set support that the 8th gen consoles didn't have.

Chrkeller said:
Kai_Mao said:

I can’t speak for Soundwave, but I think having games like Street Fighter VI, Elden Ring, Tekken 8, FFVII Remake, etc., would help build a better perception for the Switch 2. Even with games like The Witcher 3, DOOM and DOOM Eternal, and Nier Automata releasing on Switch, enough people said that it’s outdated, low-powered hardware. They hope that Nintendo would have more powerful hardware so games like Xenoblade, Zelda, Mario, etc., can look beautiful and such on 4k and whatever helps them from a graphics and performance perspective.

I don’t necessarily think that the third party games I mentioned will do incredible sales-wise on a hypothetical Switch 2, but don’t you think we could see an expansion of those audiences if they were to release on an upcoming Switch 2? I personally have Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, and Street Fighter VI on PS4, but if they were to come out on Switch 2, I would buy them again in a heart beat to show that third parties can sell on a Nintendo console. Over 1 billion software units were sold on Switch, but I doubt more people believe third parties can sell on Switch even despite that incredible number.

If you still question it, outside of the first party games, what games do you think would grab people’s attention regarding Switch 2? I doubt Square will develop a mainline FF game specifically for the Switch 2 Ala Monster Hunter Rise. Capcom will likely develop MHR2 if World 2 doesn’t come to Switch 2. Other than that, i don’t know if Capcom will be as committed to Switch 2 as say PS5 in terms of new games. DQXII and IIIHD are likely coming to Switch 2. I don’t know if Harada will care enough to bring modern Tales of games to Switch 2. Sega has dragged their feet in regards to releasing any of the Yakuza games on Switch so what could possibly change for them on Switch 2?

I thought people said that third parties matter for a console’s success. So why we going to act as if games like Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, or Street Fighter VI won’t matter on Switch 2?

Ports are a great idea.  More potential sales helps modern developers support high development costs.  And while many of us own multiple hardware I doubt average gamers do.  I could see a healthy market for Switch 2 ports.  I think it is a brilliant idea.  From Software, one of my favorite developers, selling additional Elden copies on the switch 2 is good for all of us.  I hope RE4 remake sells well enough to get a RE1 and RE CV remake.  Though with RE1 I guess that would be a remake of a remake.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth.

Yea, I think it would really help Switch 2 with perception and sales if they can get some of these current games. The Switch 2, if marketed correctly and is at a reasonable price, can be the upgrade that the average consumer can slowly, but surely, flock to after they think they’re done with Switch 1. The ports are essentially new games for a lot of other average gamers who don’t necessarily have the PS5 or the Xbox Series, even after all these years later since they launched. Plus, the hybrid concept seems to still be a strong attractive concept for consumers, especially in Japan, where the PS5 is struggling to maintain a presence there when it comes to software. 

sc94597 said:

PS4/XBOne level makes perfect sense for portable mode.  

The developer comments don't contradict what we know about the hardware. Developers will be required to have their games run well in portable mode.

One would expect the GPU clock speed to be roughly 40-50% in portable mode of the docked clock speed. 

So you'd expect somewhere around 8th gen performance in portable mode, and somewhere between 8th gen pro performance and Series S in docked mode, likely closer to Series S because of the much better CPU, more memory, and modern feature set support that the 8th gen consoles didn't have.

Same thing I think.  My opinion is that the big hindrance the Switch 2 will have to deal with in current gen ports is the CPU.  If a game maxes out the PS5/XS's CPU and is well optimized, it's not coming to the Switch 2; everything else probably will if the publisher is willing to do it.

Kai_Mao said:
zeldaring said:

Yea i don't mind ps5 games being ported to PC as well. I think for him its about Nintendo doing good or maybe crushing the competition. maybe he really loves handheld gaming cause i don't see whats the big deal about the switch 2 getting third party games considering current gen consoles has been out for 4 years by the time switch 2 comes, and who is waiting that long with out a ps4, PC, or current gen console so those games are available for almost every gamer.  

I can’t speak for Soundwave, but I think having games like Street Fighter VI, Elden Ring, Tekken 8, FFVII Remake, etc., would help build a better perception for the Switch 2. Even with games like The Witcher 3, DOOM and DOOM Eternal, and Nier Automata releasing on Switch, enough people said that it’s outdated, low-powered hardware. They hope that Nintendo would have more powerful hardware so games like Xenoblade, Zelda, Mario, etc., can look beautiful and such on 4k and whatever helps them from a graphics and performance perspective.

I don’t necessarily think that the third party games I mentioned will do incredible sales-wise on a hypothetical Switch 2, but don’t you think we could see an expansion of those audiences if they were to release on an upcoming Switch 2? I personally have Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, and Street Fighter VI on PS4, but if they were to come out on Switch 2, I would buy them again in a heart beat to show that third parties can sell on a Nintendo console. Over 1 billion software units were sold on Switch, but I doubt more people believe third parties can sell on Switch even despite that incredible number.

If you still question it, outside of the first party games, what games do you think would grab people’s attention regarding Switch 2? I doubt Square will develop a mainline FF game specifically for the Switch 2 Ala Monster Hunter Rise. Capcom will likely develop MHR2 if World 2 doesn’t come to Switch 2. Other than that, i don’t know if Capcom will be as committed to Switch 2 as say PS5 in terms of new games. DQXII and IIIHD are likely coming to Switch 2. I don’t know if Harada will care enough to bring modern Tales of games to Switch 2. Sega has dragged their feet in regards to releasing any of the Yakuza games on Switch so what could possibly change for them on Switch 2?

I thought people said that third parties matter for a console’s success. So why we going to act as if games like Elden Ring, FFVII Remake, or Street Fighter VI won’t matter on Switch 2?

Switch and switch 2 are pretty much doing it's own thing. They join the race near the middle of each gen. plus those games you mention are gonna be old news and no one is gonna be buying a switch 2 for them. I think pretty much most thirdparty games will be on switch 2 except a few very demanding ones, it's just if switch 2 really wants to establish itself more as a thirdparty machine it has to come out closer to current gen consoles to make a meaningful difference

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Kai_Mao said:

Switch and switch 2 are pretty much doing it's own thing. They join the race near the middle of each gen. plus those games you mention are gonna be old news and no one is gonna be buying a switch 2 for them. I think pretty much most thirdparty games will be on switch 2 except a few very demanding ones, it's just if switch 2 really wants to establish itself more as a thirdparty machine it has to come out closer to current gen consoles to make a meaningful difference

I’m not saying that the third party games I mentioned will be a reason for consumers to buy a Switch 2, just that it’ll help with perception that it’s a strong hybrid console with modern technology. Kinda like how The Witcher 3 and Nier Automata showed how strong the original Switch is, even though people to this day still thought it was old, weak hardware from the jump (even though that wasn’t necessarily true.

I don’t really expect Switch 2 to be a third party machine, but I can see it maintain what the Switch has become: a machine for lots of indies and AA games to thrive in. The big third party devs want to push console gaming in regards to presentation and such with high end, realistic graphics and over the top action. The Switch 2 will do what it can to keep pace with the two other stronger consoles, but as long as Nintendo understands what the console’s identity is, then Nintendo will be fine.

Kai_Mao said:
zeldaring said:

I’m not saying that the third party games I mentioned will be a reason for consumers to buy a Switch 2, just that it’ll help with perception that it’s a strong hybrid console with modern technology. Kinda like how The Witcher 3 and Nier Automata showed how strong the original Switch is, even though people to this day still thought it was old, weak hardware from the jump (even though that wasn’t necessarily true.

I don’t really expect Switch 2 to be a third party machine, but I can see it maintain what the Switch has become: a machine for lots of indies and AA games to thrive in. The big third party devs want to push console gaming in regards to presentation and such with high end, realistic graphics and over the top action. The Switch 2 will do what it can to keep pace with the two other stronger consoles, but as long as Nintendo understands what the console’s identity is, then Nintendo will be fine.

No question about it Nintendo is going to be fine, just saying it doesn't really matter if nintendo is ps4/xbox 1 power or series s power is not gonna be a game changer in terms of nintendo doing well. it's probably the least important factor in terms of switch2. being successful.

I hope the switch 2 gets original 3rd party support moreso than ports. I quite liked octopath, triangle strategy, etc. I really want triangle 2.

From games I am following, I havent seen many games on ps5 that couldnt be possible to on a ps4. I mean, image they update the ps4 for using SSD. the full ps5 library could be played on it. turn off raytracing, mid specs, maybe 720p. But playable

Switch 2 being a updated ps4 level brute force with SSD and DLSS and all these new tech would be more than enough for keeping up with at least XSS in a small screen.
Also, clocked up on a dock and no battery restriction, can be compared to them in large screen.
I just hope is cheap.

Chrkeller said:

I hope the switch 2 gets original 3rd party support moreso than ports. I quite liked octopath, triangle strategy, etc. I really want triangle 2.

It’ll be interesting to see if Triangle Strategy is in Square’s new plans to build up smaller IPs. They said that they’re planning to develop more big games and less AA type games, in which Triangle Strategy falls more into the latter.

If Square and Capcom are willing to do more with Switch 2 than they did with Switch 1, then I can see more original titles similar to MHR, Octopath 1 and 2, Bravely Default 2, Ghost n’ Goblins Resurrection, MH Stories 2, and Dragon Quest Monsters.

I wish Square would also develop an original Final Fantasy game on Switch 2, but I doubt it’ll happen as they want Final Fantasy to be that high end, realistic graphics type franchise. Dragon Quest, I would be very surprised if they don’t have XII come to Switch 2 alongside III 2DHD (I doubt the latter will NOT come to Switch and/or Switch 2). And hey, the whole Kingdom Hearts series may actually be physical/digital releases on Switch 2 if Square even cares. If the Marvel vs Capcom 4 rumors are true, I also would like to see that on Switch 2, alongside Street Fighter VI (or it’s Ultra equivalent). Then of course, the remaining Resident Evil games that are currently cloud games on Switch.

Koei Tecmo, I can see them develop a good amount of new games on Switch 2. The 2 Fire Emblem Warriors games and the 2 Hyrule Warriors games are among the best selling Warriors games ever (if you count all the warriors series altogether). Plus they have the Atelier series, the Fatal Frame series, and various anime games. Dead or Alive may be on life support after 6, so I don’t know if anything will happen with that franchise anytime soon. KT has worked well with Nintendo on Switch so I don’t doubt their potential contributions. 

Sega should be fine as we’ll likely still see Sonic, Persona, Hatsune Miki, and SMT on Switch 2. Everything else, like Sakura Taisen and Like a Dragon, I guess it depends on the attitude of Sega’s leaders.

Bandai Namco is in a bit of a weird spot for me. I can see them commit to Switch 2, but probably one foot in and most of the other foot out. Despite releasing lots of old and new anime games, Pac-Man, Digimon, New Pokémon Snap, Smash Ultimate, etc., it feels like some things are missing from them. At bare minimum, I hope for Takes of Arise on Switch 2, if not an entirely new Tales of game with similar production and gameplay values as Arise (there shouldn’t be any excuse that the flashy combat can’t work on Switch 2 if it’s as powerful as rumored). Tekken, I’m not sure if Harada is much of a Nintendo fan even despite releasingTag Tournament 2 on Wii U and Pokken on Wii U/Switch. The potential for Xenosaga remakes/remasters may or may not be brought up again as Kos Mos was brought back into the spotlight in Xenoblade 2. Elden Ring and the other Souls games would be nice too. But it’s Bandai Namco, so I’m not sure if I can hold my breath when it comes to them..

Sorry that I went on this tangent.. I see lots of potential for old and new big games coming to Switch 2. We’ll just have to wait and see if third parties are even 75% committed to this upcoming platform as they are with any PlayStation console, where they usually get their life savings on those consoles.