By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Console sales have surpassed 600 Million

Sony has sold over 600 Million PlayStations lifetime to date.

Vgchartz numbers-

PS1- 102.49 Million 

PS2- 158.7 Million 

PSP- 80.79 Million 

PS3- 87.4 Million 

PS Vita- 15.82 Million

PS4- 117.09 Million 

PS5- 40.83 Million * (As of July 2023)

Total- 603.12 Million 

Even if we assume PS5 to sell just as much as the PS4 did, that would put the total at 679.4 million. 

The average would be 97 Million units per Console. 

Absolutely incredible considering just how much the Vita drags down that aggregate value (average).

Around the Network

A really stellar collection of systems

Sony never dissapoints, all their consoles are good

97M on average is crazy

PS2 is 155

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Vita is the only system under 80 million, every home console is over 100 million except the PS3 (well I'm assuming PS5 getting there is inevitable) ... you have to admit Sony has their way of doing things and by and large it works for them.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

PS2 is 155

Doing some math PS2 sold more than the 155M figure. If it did the PS4 lifetime would be higher than what Sony gave. Sony for a while combined PS3+PS2 hardware sales. 

If you add up all known PS3 shipment quarters you get 74.1M 87.4M - 74.1M = 13.3M unaccounted units. FY2012 at PS3+PS2 at 16.5M which is 3.2M more the 13.3M unaccounted sales for just that one year, which would be added to the PS2's 155M total. We did more math and gave a range that had a minimum of 158.7M.

Also Sony says 155M+ as of March 31, 2012, while the PS2 wasn't discontinued until January 2013.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Leynos said:

PS2 is 155

Doing some math PS2 sold more than the 155M figure. If it did the PS4 lifetime would be higher than what Sony gave. Sony for a while combined PS3+PS2 hardware sales. 

If you add up all known PS3 shipment quarters you get 74.1M 87.4M - 74.1M = 13.3M unaccounted units. FY2012 at PS3+PS2 at 16.5M which is 3.2M more the 13.3M unaccounted sales for just that one year, which would be added to the PS2's 155M total. We did more math and gave a range that had a minimum of 158.7M.

Also Sony says 155M+ as of March 31, 2012, while the PS2 wasn't discontinued until January 2013.

I bought a Dreamcast brand new in the box in 2005 that a store had in the backroom. Some of those PS2s were never sold until a decade later on eBay found in a back room. Does that dusty Mario Kart 64 found in a Walmart a few years ago count toward the final sales? Sony's numbers are official. It's 155. No fake VGZ speculation numbers can change that. PS2 is 155 otherwise we need to raise the numbers for every console ever even if just by 1 for shit sold once a company is done counting. 155 is the official and final number. I like the forums here but the Sales data has always been suspect at best.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
trunkswd said:

I bought a Dreamcast brand new in the box in 2005 that a store had in the backroom. Some of those PS2s were never sold until a decade later on eBay found in a back room. Does that dusty Mario Kart 64 found in a Walmart a few years ago count toward the final sales? Sony's numbers are official. It's 155. No fake VGZ speculation numbers can change that. PS2 is 155 otherwise we need to raise the numbers for every console ever even if just by 1 for shit sold once a company is done counting. 155 is the official and final number. I like the forums here but the Sales data has always been suspect at best.

This reads like a random conspiracy. Like how the moon is hollow and aliens live inside it.  You are throwing random stories around and what if's to an extreme.  If you think the number is one thing that's fine. But there is no need for this random conspiracy nonsense or vitriol for something not that important. Plus it's just straight up rude to say stuff like "fake VGC speculation".

Just a poor way to participate in this thread. Consider this a thread ban.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 29 August 2023

You are bound to love Earthbound.

I will always wonder how high PS4 could have gotten if they'd done a price cut to $200 in 2019 like Septemberish. They must have been making mad profit on the console at that point and with PS5 yet to be announced I imagine it would do a pretty damn good holiday and get some of those low cost consumers into their ecosystem. 117m could have been 130m since they STILL haven't officially cut it.

I am Iron Man

As a kid I always wanted to own a PS1, but I never could. Today I have a PS2 still active in my bedroom.

Such an insane library.