By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Immortals of Aveum: Unreal Engine 5 at 60fps comes at a price (Digital Foundry)

Did anyone else notice that the PS5 version looked to have much better IQ? Seems like the framerate suffers accordingly - but DF didnt seem to make any mention of this difference in the video.

The series S version is looking really really rough.

This is not the way to go for developers in my opinion. The tradeoff simply isnt worth it.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:

Did anyone else notice that the PS5 version looked to have much better IQ? Seems like the framerate suffers accordingly - but DF didnt seem to make any mention of this difference in the video.

This is not the way to go for developers in my opinion. The tradeoff simply isnt worth it.

Yes, the image quality is better on PS5 at the expense of a bit lower performance (fps) than Xbox Series X. 

The "4K" generation they said ... As usual, the promises early on just do not hold up later on but hey, for the sake of the overso growing appetite of furthering graphical fidelity.

Still, optimization be damn knowadays since a good number of dev teams seem to be counting on upscaling technology to make up for these problems. Yet, doesn't seem to make it work much there ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

kazuyamishima said:
Shinobi-san said:

Yes, the image quality is better on PS5 at the expense of a bit lower performance (fps) than Xbox Series X. 

I'd rather have the tradeoff be the other way around. 

Even the PC performance is rough unless you have a super rig. Just to play the game at 1440p at 60fps, you need at least an Nvidia 3080ti graphics card. Which, not many will.

Sounds like no one was truly ready for next gen capabilities.

curl-6 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Dont blame the consoles, even the pc seems a mess.

I wouldn't say I blame the consoles, it's just a very strange choice by the devs to prioritise resolution so low and not to offer a 30fps option.

It does suggest though that maybe Lumen and Nanite are very heavy on current hardware; it will be interesting to see how UE5 fares in future console titles.

30fps is ass for a FPS on current consoles. 

Around the Network

If it wasn't optimised and they struggled to get it to work they should have capped it at 30fps first or used unreal engine 4 instead

gtotheunit91 said:

Digital Foundry even foretold that we're in for a rough generation on console. Hell, even PC hardware is lagging behind if you don't have at least a $2K monster rig. Nvidia screwing over PC gamers with their refusal to put a decent amount of VRAM on anything except the absolute high-end GPU's. I may have to fully switch to AMD on both CPU/GPU when I do my next rig early next year.

PC isn't lagging behind, it's due to COVID, Scalpers and Crypto that kept prices sky-high and new hardware out of peoples hands.

Keep in mind that the Geforce 4090 is already upwards of 200% faster than the consoles, more if you start including DLSS, that's a generational jump right there... Problem is, you have to pay for it... With money.

Fabrication improvements have also been slowing, which means smaller generational jumps, thus developers rely on upscaling techniques to hit targets, scalers are used as a crux to get better visuals/performance.

Throw in an elongation of moores law, reduced fabrication improvements and capacity, it impacts the entire tech industry.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I wouldn't say I blame the consoles, it's just a very strange choice by the devs to prioritise resolution so low and not to offer a 30fps option.

It does suggest though that maybe Lumen and Nanite are very heavy on current hardware; it will be interesting to see how UE5 fares in future console titles.

30fps is ass for a FPS on current consoles. 

With options though, as most current gen home console games offer, that's up to the player. In its current state, there's no choice. I suspect many Series S owners would rather 30fps than 436p.

Shinobi-san said:

They touch on this in the article; the actual pixel counts are the same on both PS5 and Series X, so they theorise that any differences come down to post-processing.

I was shocked by Sony's support of PC ports... next gen just might PC and switch 2. I have a cheap 3050 and shockingly it isn't bad compared to consoles. I can't imagine having a real gpu.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Exactly why there will be a PS5 Pro. Current gen is already ill equipped, too bad MS will not release one.