By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Split Screen ( a dying practice?)

Split Screen dead?

Yes 12 30.00%

No 4 10.00%

Maybe 4 10.00%

Live Forever 2 5.00%

Should be a standard feat... 12 30.00%

Too much effort 1 2.50%

It can boost sales 0 0%

People too rich and buy multiple console 0 0%

Only on nintendo 5 12.50%

Total:40

Splitscreen doesn't "sell like hotcakes". Well, actually considering I've never even seen a hotcake store let alone them selling well, maybe it does.

It'd definitely a dying feature though. I really like it. Had a lot of good times playing splitscreen games, still do even with Mario Kart 8. Online multiplayer pretty much renders it obsolete though. The only benefits splitscreen has is you don't need a 2nd console/TV or an internet connection. Online has a lot of pros over split-screen however. I do hope some games at least keep doing splitscreen though. My main concern is kids. I really want kids one day and up to a certain age playing games with them in splitscreen is just far easier than online. Plus I have no interest in paying subscriptions to play, so if games like Mario Kart ever get rid of splitscreen then they effectively become singleplayer only to me, which definitely lessens the experience.

Around the Network

Splitscreen is a dying breed. Its been dying since halo 4 days. Even nintendo games are moving away from it. Its only a handful like mario kart type games and 2d sonic. MS has said the forza motorsport team have checked the stats of those who used splitscreen in their previous games and they said its very very small. Its a waste of resources for any developers. How many people actually ply splitscreen on cod? lol. Those who complain that splitscreen is a must have forgotten how people use to do lan parties on pc back in the day !!. I remember having to carry my gaming desktop to my friends house and my monitor if he didnt have any!. This can be done with console and still have the coop couch experience. At least carrying a console to your friends house is easier then carrying a gaming desktop lol

Split screen was the best as you could sit casually in the sae room with mates and chat. The Wii U evolved on that with play on TV and on the Wii U screen and then sadly that feature died on the Switch.

For the social aspects: Online multi-player also allow social features, as long you use it correctly

Case point: I don't have a single friend who play games with me except by the ones I've met online specifically to play games, sometimes in discord servers

Btw, I really hate how Nintendo don't have audio chart integrated, or way to connect phone in the controllers directly, I still having to use discord for those. It's a bit funny because in theory they are the company who promotes the social part of gaming the most, but in my case is the one the make social gaming the most difficult

No need for split screen in 2023.

Around the Network

Split Screen is a great feature to have. All you need is an extra controller and you can have a good time gaming with a friend. In addition, it doesn't take anything away from other forms of gameplay so I don't see it as an either or situation.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Mnementh said:
Azzanation said:

Online is a superior way to play multiplayer. There is literally no benefit that couch co-op offers over online except for the social aspect. It's just a simple fact. 

There is no benefit... except. So there is a benefit. And yes, this social aspect may not be important for you, but this aspect exists. So online cannot replace split screen and therefore is not superior. It is just a simple fact.

Depends if you count it as an actual benefit. Plenty prefer to game on their own TV and console. For me, if I had the choice of my friend coming around or us playing online, I'd say let's play online because split screen doesn't do it for me anymore. To each to their own.

SvennoJ said:
Azzanation said:

Late reply, was randomly banned. No idea why.

Online is a superior way to play multiplayer. There is literally no benefit that couch co-op offers over online except for the social aspect. It's just a simple fact. 

Couch co-op can possibly be patched in the future, it's definitely not worth delaying an entire game for. Xbox and Larian choosing to release the game excluding the feature on the S is the best decision they made. More people are pleased than disappointed. They have now gained an entire eco system of gamers that can play their game while 1% of them want Split screen on the Series S will just have to play online instead which is a better way to play anyway.

As you see above online is inferior to local play. It might work better with LAN play but I think that's really dead lol. (Although plenty games still have P2P multiplayer so would essentially be the same)

But yes, games are still mostly targeted to teens / young adults sitting by themselves in their rooms. More mature / older gamers have more options so I'll just play BG3 on PS5 since it comes out their first. Series X can probably run it just fine as well, yet since my kid has a PS5 as well, one digital copy will get all of us playing.

Anyway it's a deal breaker for me, yet the Series S was that already. I bought Series X initially to play Halo Infinite in split-screen co-op. Cancelled. Gears 5 co-op was a miss. Forza 8 dropped it. BG3 sticking with PS5. Starfield better be good as it's just another (4k) blu-ray player atm.

Halo Infinite was developed on the XB1 so being a cross gen game was more the issue.

Why was Gears 5 a miss? It offered it.

I can't speak for Forza however it seems to be the decision based on the masses. On their end, they probably see no one using the feature.

BG3 was made by a Indy Dev, probably not enough time or resources to get all versions working. Xbox has announced they are continually working with them to get Split Screen on the Series S after launch.

lgs20XP said:
HoloDust said:

I love split screen and one of the most memorable experiences from the last few years was playing Outward exactly that way - I've played it with my son on 4K TV with horizontal splitscreen, so you're basically playing on two 3840x1080 (32:9) screens stacked on one another. I like the game as single player just fine, but as a local co-op (especially since it's survival RPG with no markers of where you are on the map, so you really have to get to learn geography of the place) it was way more satisfying experience.

Yeah I loved it too back in the day. My friends and family had many good times with split screen. But sadly, technology has made the idea of split screen almost obsolete

Yeah, technology does allow for people to play together, even if they are not in the same room, and it is definitely predominant nowadays. That said, even back in days of PC LAN parties, you were socializing in person, and not over mic - not to mention beer and pizza breaks. Not saying that you can't have good time and social aspect via net, but it really doesn't compare with the real thing. And if you have gaming spouse and/or kids, splitscreen is really great feature in games.

I think that eventually there will be some company that figures out how to make an affordable volumetric display (think holochess in Star Wars) and put it into a console alike product, and I believe that experience of sitting around the table and playing games together will be one of its major selling points.

Azzanation said:
Mnementh said:

There is no benefit... except. So there is a benefit. And yes, this social aspect may not be important for you, but this aspect exists. So online cannot replace split screen and therefore is not superior. It is just a simple fact.

Depends if you count it as an actual benefit. Plenty prefer to game on their own TV and console. For me, if I had the choice of my friend coming around or us playing online, I'd say let's play online because split screen doesn't do it for me anymore. To each to their own.

I do not care is not the same as nobody cares. I don't care for narrative only games (aka Walking Simulator, the Heavy Rains or what you have), so I should conclude they don't need to exist?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Azzanation said:

Halo Infinite was developed on the XB1 so being a cross gen game was more the issue.

Why was Gears 5 a miss? It offered it.

I can't speak for Forza however it seems to be the decision based on the masses. On their end, they probably see no one using the feature.

BG3 was made by a Indy Dev, probably not enough time or resources to get all versions working. Xbox has announced they are continually working with them to get Split Screen on the Series S after launch.

Gears 5 worked but my wife didn't like it. Too hard to see (too much clutter) and too many buttons. We played Dragon's Crown Pro instead.

Split-screen is always preferable to online, and reducing fidelity a bit for that is no problem, actually preferred. For PvE anyway. If you just want to PvP online with a friend over, then having the full screen and max fps is indeed preferable.