By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Signs of a new PS5 start appearing in stores

There is certainly demand for a slim model.

Around the Network

I think the PS5 design is gorgeous. Impractical but gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

The normal PS4, slim and Pro were all like jet engines, the current PS5 is so quiet.

If the PS5 slim is like a jet engine I’ll keep my current one.

kazuyamishima said:

The normal PS4, slim and Pro were all like jet engines, the current PS5 is so quiet.

If the PS5 slim is like a jet engine I’ll keep my current one.

My PS4 Slim while playing Uncharted 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn (on launch, it got much better after some updates) did sound just like a jet engine.

It was so realistic that I was afraid it would just take off and fly away from my windown.

Signalstar said:

I mean, when your console is clearly inspired by Seto Kaiba himself, you can't say its not a big win design wise.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Signalstar said:

I mean, when your console is clearly inspired by Seto Kaiba himself, you can't say its not a big win design wise.

I can’t argue against that. I mean, I could, but it wouldn’t do much good. When that’s where your starting point is we’re just on completely different planets. To be fair, the XBox Series X awakened in me a latent trypophobia, so at least it’s not a visceral reaction I have against it. 

super_etecoon said:

Am I the only one who thinks the current PS5 is the ugliest console they have ever made?

Nope.  I love the console because of the games and I'm impressed with the power.  The design of the case is god awful.  Curved, worthless stand that is cheap as crap, too big.  I have no idea what Sony was thinking on that one.  I really loathe the stand when using it horizontal.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 30 July 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

BraLoD said:
Hiku said:

Millions, but not because of the cost of the drive itself. But because Sony will get a bigger share of each game sale when it's digital straight from their own store instead of a physical copy from a third party retailer. Publishers also profit more from digital.

Random_Matt said:

It won't be a slim, impossible to have a major die shrink.

@Random_Matt 
The heatsink/heatpipes and power supply are taking up most of the space.

By moving those to the outside, a guy on youtube made his own functional PS5 Slim.

Obviousy Sony have much greater leeway in this since they can redesigning components, but it's interesting to see how small you can technically make the current PS5 in concept, even if it's not very practical. 

Yeah, the heatsink was massive, but the Slim is very likely coming with an apu redesign, maybe even phasing out the liquid metal as well, that should be the major point of doing it.

And we would probably be getting rumors of that smaller apu already if that would be getting released in around 3 months from now.

I doubt we will see the Slim release this year, but who knows.

the PS5 internals have shrunk especially the heatsink the 1000 - 1100 and 1200 model with the latest 1200 being in the middle 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Pemalite said:
OneTime said:

How much money does it save not having a disk drive? $30?

I have seen external BD-Rom drives at my local PC store for $25 AUD. - About $15 USD. - That includes cables, case, packaging etc'.

So I would imagine, Sony buying in Bulk and stripping all that fluff would get it cheaper.

But... There is the cost of Digital Distribution vs Physical.

Even if in terms of BoM, its only like 15-20$ maybe, I could see them putting the disk drives up for sale at a profit.
This could offset the PS5 sell cost abit (probably not by much), along with the "digital distribution vs physical" aspect (again probably not doing much).

I think it would be amasing if they could get discless PS5 (perhaps slim) down to like 349$, instead of just the predictable keeping it at 399$.

Xbox Series S, is going for 299$.
Getting within 50$ of it, and oftering more than twice the performance/resolution, along with better storage/space than the S, would be big.
ontop of that, going from 349$ PS5 to a 499$ xbox series X, would be a big cost increase (150$ more for a xbox).

Stuff like that can matter in terms of sales.

BraLoD said:
S.Peelman said:

Definitely not. I’d say it’s a contender for ugliest console ever made in general. At least mainstream it certainly is.

It's actually quite pretty in person, even as I dislike it not being symmetrical because of the disc drive.

But it really is just too big.

I concur with mZuzek on this one.

It makes me actively not want one, so yeah for me it’ll be Slim (if that actually looks decent (and if there’s something I want to play obviously)) or none.