By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2023 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

FF16 sales are plummeting fast with another -63% drop. E12S sneaks into the top 10 with a 35% increase though.

Both Switch and PS5 continue to sell better than they deserve to. One system is old, and the other doesn't sell much software. There has to be some sort of exporting going on and at this point the sales of neither console really reflect what the demand is in Japan alone.

Around the Network
Norion said:
archbrix said:

If Switch 2 stumbles out of the gate and doesn't establish itself like many of us expect, then that changes the conversation.  Otherwise, it's highly unlikely in my opinion.

I don't see how the Switch 2 will cause enough of an impact since the PS5 will have sold 5-6m by the time it comes out and I can't see how it doesn't do another few million afterwards.

Even with a conservative 4.6m LTD by the end of this year an average of just 1m for the next 5 years is enough to beat the PS4 which seems easy unless the PS6 is a 2027 release.

The PS5 currently is in one of its biggest years though and it continues to struggle against the current Switch in Japan. Final Fantasy launch week didn't even see the PS5 come out ahead. Meanwhile, the aging Switch still has Mario Wonder, which will surely sell as high as Mario is in the game, as well as titles that will sustain its sales.

It's that continued support and interest in the current Switch as well as the big yearly decline I think we'll see for PS5 once Switch 2 arrives that might keep the PS5 from the numbers you're projecting. If 2023-2024 is the PS5's peak as many believe, what are sales going to look like in Japan as they naturally decline against Switch 2 starting its (presumably) winning run? Maybe all of the exporting will help but I just don't expect a big enough interest for the PS5 in Japan going forward.

The PS4 surge in Japan is bizarre too, along with the PS5 maintaining a solid baseline even though it's been widely available in Japan now for months.

A fat chunk of these systems (Switch too) must be going to China.

Here's an article on it

https://www.reuters.com/technology/china-approves-84-domestic-online-games-december-2022-12-28/

Chinese government did freeze any approvals for foreign software for 18 months and the feeling in China seems to be that the government is not going to allow nearly as much video game software to be published period as they fear it is causing game addiction and they don't want foreign influence.

In a year-end meeting this month, Pony Ma, founder of Tencent, said that the company had to get used to Beijing’s strict licensing regime, and the number of new games that China approves would remain limited in the long run.

This seems to extend to Hollywood movies too, the Chinese government is not approving as many Hollywood movies for release there. 

So in that context, it suddenly makes a lot of sense why Chinese buyers suddenly are wanting a Japanese system instead. Would you want a system where the government can just cut off all software (even Chinese companies for a time were halted from releasing games, but foreign software got it the worst)? If I owned a PS5 or Switch in China, honestly I'd sell my system and buy a Japanese version instead. No new game approvals for foreign developed games (that means Japan/North America/Euro developed games) for 18 months is ridiculous.

Shatts said:
Norion said:

I don't see how the Switch 2 will cause enough of an impact since the PS5 will have sold 5-6m by the time it comes out and I can't see how it doesn't do another few million afterwards.

Even with a conservative 4.6m LTD by the end of this year an average of just 1m for the next 5 years is enough to beat the PS4 which seems easy unless the PS6 is a 2027 release.

Well the PS5 needs to outsell the PS4 by more than 3 million to pass the Wii. I don't think it can do that. The PS5 should be at its peak right now, but demand hasn't increased as much. I don't think any future software will drastically change the demand either. The only possibility is that the demand in China sees an increase and more units are sold to the grey market. It might outsell the PS4, but the 3 million difference seems very far away. 
Oh maybe you're only talking about PS5 selling more than the PS4.

Yeah I'm only talking about that. It won't reach the Wii of course.

archbrix said:
Norion said:

The PS5 currently is in one of its biggest years though and it continues to struggle against the current Switch in Japan. Final Fantasy launch week didn't even see the PS5 come out ahead. Meanwhile, the aging Switch still has Mario Wonder, which will surely sell as high as Mario is in the game, as well as titles that will sustain its sales.

It's that continued support and interest in the current Switch as well as the big yearly decline I think we'll see for PS5 once Switch 2 arrives that might keep the PS5 from the numbers you're projecting. If 2023-2024 is the PS5's peak as many believe, what are sales going to look like in Japan as they naturally decline against Switch 2 starting its (presumably) winning run? Maybe all of the exporting will help but I just don't expect a big enough interest for the PS5 in Japan going forward.

The issue is by the time the Switch 2 comes out the PS5 will already be at 5-6m. It'd have to kinda fall off a cliff to not reach 9.5m the following few years especially if this is a longer generation. I don't see why the Switch 2's success would cause that when it's able to sell as well as it is currently despite the current Switch having an amazing stretch right now. It's not like the Switch's 2021 and 2022 were why the PS5's first couple years weren't good, if there was ample stock then it would've sold perfectly fine despite the Switch doing amazing then.

The question is going to be how many of these PS5s are actually in Japan? Because I think it's not as much of a reach any longer to think a fairly sizable chunk of the PS5s sold this year have gone to China.

There's no reason for a Chinese buyer to buy a Chinese PS5 (or Switch or PS4 frankly, I guess XBox is just dead in Asia too but if Chinese game censorship was a concern for you, then the last console you'd want is the American one anyway, lol) if they can get a Japanese PS5 instead. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 July 2023

Around the Network

Not as good week software wise, most games are on a downtrend except for Everybody 1 2 Switch lol.

Switch and PS5 are maintaining more than reasonable sales while the XSeries is just back to being in mortis

This is spectacle !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Norion said:
Shatts said:

Well the PS5 needs to outsell the PS4 by more than 3 million to pass the Wii. I don't think it can do that. The PS5 should be at its peak right now, but demand hasn't increased as much. I don't think any future software will drastically change the demand either. The only possibility is that the demand in China sees an increase and more units are sold to the grey market. It might outsell the PS4, but the 3 million difference seems very far away. 
Oh maybe you're only talking about PS5 selling more than the PS4.

Yeah I'm only talking about that. It won't reach the Wii of course.

archbrix said:

The issue is by the time the Switch 2 comes out the PS5 will already be at 5-6m. It'd have to kinda fall off a cliff to not reach 9.5m the following few years especially if this is a longer generation. I don't see why the Switch 2's success would cause that when it's able to sell as well as it is currently despite the current Switch having an amazing stretch right now. It's not like the Switch's 2021 and 2022 were why the PS5's first couple years weren't good, if there was ample stock then it would've sold perfectly fine despite the Switch doing amazing then.

Tbf the claim that next gen is coming in 2028 is just an assumption from Microsoft. There's always the possibility of PS5 being the last console from Sony, or next gen releasing earlier than expected. Since we don't know what Nintendo's next console will be like, there's really no telling. However if our assumption that it will be a Switch 2 is correct, I do think PS5 is slightly in danger since power isn't really that important nowadays. PS4 pro isn't that much different than a PS5. Perhaps we haven't seen its full capabilities/potential, but the PS5's marketing point in Japan is that it's able to play more AAA games that demands more power without spending more than 30k yen on a PC setup. If Switch 2 is on par with the PS4 and has dlss, most AAA should be able to play on it with close to no problem. So the only reason to buy a PS5 would be its exclusive. Are there going to be PS5 exclusives where lots of JP users would want to play? I doubt it.

Last edited by Shatts - on 13 July 2023

Everybody 1-2-Switch! is up 35% and went from #20 last week to #10 this week.

FF16 having decent legs for a JRPG, all things considered.

The recent surge in sales is not only because of China's rules but also Japanese retailers rules. Until recently, you had to win lotteries and have an address to buy these systems. Now it is free market.

Another factor is the very weak yen. EVERYONE wants to buy from Japan right now because the yen is so pathetic. so pretty much all electronics and high ticket goods are booming.

Megiddo said:
siebensus4 said:

Everybody 1-2 Switch... I can't remember another game, which sold in its second week better than in its launch week...

Games rarely megabomb so much that they can't even achieve 20% sell-through their initial week. Likely the increase is from some discounts by retailers trying to clear shelf space.

No, believe it or not, but the game has actually good wom. It not only increased in physical sales but it also rose a lot on the eshop in it's second week.

It's usually not that extreme, but there are quite often games with low first week sell through and then very steady long legs.

The second Mario + Rabbids game is a good example of that or Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival.