By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 26, 2023 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

Good news for FF16, the sell-through rate was 80-100% per Famitsu, so this is not a case where only half the initial shipment was sold as was the case for FF15.

Around the Network

I always thought it would be over 4 million this year. Even before we knew what they had slated for the Fall and holiday season.
By March, I kind of figured Switch 2 wasn't coming this year and would most likely be closer to Holiday 2024 than Holiday 2023. So they couldn't just have NOTHING for the holidays. I also knew it was going to be Mario-related given how this was the year the movie came out. I just wasn't sure if it would be a new 2D Mario or a new DKC.

Qwark said:
Soundwave said:

Think if Square-Enix wants the Final Fantasy brand to stop declining they're going to have to eventually start rebuilding an audience for the main series on the Switch platform (probably the successor at this point, but all the same) in addition to Playstation. Playstation-only is not helping the brand. 

Like I would say FF17 should be a PS5 + Switch 2 minimum, but probably XBox in there too. 

Final Fantasy is doing totally fine worldwide though. It had a much better launch than all other PS5 exclusives, aside from GoW Ragnarok (holiday bundle launch) only in its first week and is the sixth best selling PS exclusive at launch. It also sold more units than HFW at launch, which is now at around 9 million.

This game has a lot of potential to reach the 10 million mark on PS5 alone. Square also got a heavy bag of Sony money and plenty of Sony support during development. Furthermore it could also get a bundle for extra sales. So I wouldn't say that's bad perse or that FF is anywhere close to being irrelevant.

Next year it will also get a PC port, so I don't think this game is doing that bad at all, it's just not doing great in Japan (which is a much smaller market than US or Europe). The Japanese market is basically dead for PS software to begin with.

FF7 remake also is pretty close to the 10 million mark and will most likely pass FFXV worldwide. So a game being (semi) exclusive doesn't have to be bad for it's sales or value. Especially if someone is willing to pay a big check for it.

How dare you talking about Worldwide sales !! It's obvious that Japan's sales only IS the real indicator for a game' success.

Soundwave is always funny, acting like FF's saga is doing worse than before when it's actually doing the best sales of the saga Worldwide. FF15 is the best selling FF of all time with 10 million sales (behind the old FF7 which has 13 ports) and FF7 Remake and FF16 are following the same road.

For example FF9 has a 2 million opening sales in Japan but did 5,5 millions total Worldwide sales... Worldwide FF16 will soon crushes these sales just like FF15 and FF7 Remake did.

In conclusion Square-Enix is probably very happy. They prefer have better Worldwide sales than Japan only sales. 

Last edited by -Adonis- - on 30 June 2023

Qwark said:

.. Furthermore it could also get a bundle for extra sales.

What so you mean by that? Yesterday I was going through shops, searching for a peculiar cable. All PS5s on shelves were FF16 bundles, everywhere.

drkohler said:
Qwark said:

.. Furthermore it could also get a bundle for extra sales.

What so you mean by that? Yesterday I was going through shops, searching for a peculiar cable. All PS5s on shelves were FF16 bundles, everywhere.

I think Sony failed on the Japanese launch by not making a LE console and also putting a digital code and charging 8000 yens more, would be better to add value to it

Around the Network
Otter said:

FFXV has sold not much more than 1 million on Xbox. Being multiplatform on console didn't change its overall sales success. XV launched late on PC and XVI will do the same 

We can't really talk about the franchise's "decline" commercially when the last entry is the biggest in the franchise lol. 

As far as XVI we'd really need to look at it's sales throughout a decent period of time. VII R opened big but had very short legs. It's overall meek performance can probably be tied to it being only part of the full game and the nostalgia aspect being overated.

Lastly the franchise hasn't grown massively as it maybe could have but the first place I'd look is at the highly divisive experience people have been having recently with Both mainline games (XIII & XV) and the spinoffs. Most people I know haven't loved a FF since the 2000s. Let's see if 16 can help mend that...

Of course being on Switch would help SE shift more units but I think its blatantly against their ambitions for mainline FF for the time being & mainline FF isn't actually declining in sales so far. 

That 1m on Xbox makes up for the 1m they miss out on in Japan, XVI's opening shows the series continues to slide in the region while PC would have given XV another 1 to 2m in sales so again the last entry is only the biggest because of multiplatform releases they helped offset the decline in the region.

We can talk about decline because that's what is happening in the region which is the point both XV and VIIR only hit 1m in Japan in a series that used to hit 3m in the region, both these games had little legs after launch week I don’t see XVI being any different.

Other games have had divisive games but have still grown, Zelda being one with a few before BOTW and even RE series with RE7, the issue isn't FF being divisive it's the quality and appeal of what's been put out. Having ambition is one thing but the comes a point where you have to step back and assess if you have the right ambition going forward and if it's focusing on the right priority in doing so. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

I believe FF will never experience big growth like other franchises 

It's a game that heavily changes the gameplay every entry. People always get dissatisfied with something. I'm talking with some friends who liked FF XV (it was their only FF) and are not liking XVI because they can't control party members and exploration is limited compared with XV open spaces

It's hard to build a core fandom when some games are so different from others. Of course you have people like me who are fans exactly because we don't know what we're getting, but weirdos like are are the minority. Most people want their games to be exactly the same with some iterative evolutions

Even if XVI experience great word of mouth and end selling 15 million (won't happen, but let's pretend for the sake of the argument) I believe this will not lead to a big increase in sales for the next entry, specially if they change everything again

That's not entirely true as other franchises have shown you can do changes while retaining the series identity and have significant to large growth in fact FF was one of the original pioneers of that and still grew.

IcaroRibeiro said:

I believe FF will never experience big growth like other franchises 

It's a game that heavily changes the gameplay every entry. People always get dissatisfied with something. I'm talking with some friends who liked FF XV (it was their only FF) and are not liking XVI because they can't control party members and exploration is limited compared with XV open spaces

It's hard to build a core fandom when some games are so different from others. Of course you have people like me who are fans exactly because we don't know what we're getting, but weirdos like are are the minority. Most people want their games to be exactly the same with some iterative evolutions

Even if XVI experience great word of mouth and end selling 15 million (won't happen, but let's pretend for the sake of the argument) I believe this will not lead to a big increase in sales for the next entry, specially if they change everything again

Final Fantasy as a series has many many issues that breaks the fanbase or lackthereof. 

1. The numbered series has 2 MMO's in it. Like it or not, there are a lot of people who are MMO only players or single players. This will devide the franchise player base. There are lots of people who have only played 14 and never touched any of the single player games.

2. Changing the gameplay and art style so drastically between each entry will have an impact

3. Final Fantasy has way to many spin off games that are very mediocre, this brings down the namebrand as a whole.

4. For a long time the story in later enteries of final fantasy games have had major plot hole issues. Espcially 12, 13/X2/LR, 15. The series did not have this Issue 1-10. 

Not sure if its the artwork, or if i have just gotten tired of the series, but 16 is the first final fantasy game that I have no real desire to play, which is sad. 

我是广州人

I love FFXIII's trilogy.
And FFXV on PC is a blast.

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

FFXV has sold not much more than 1 million on Xbox. Being multiplatform on console didn't change its overall sales success. XV launched late on PC and XVI will do the same 

We can't really talk about the franchise's "decline" commercially when the last entry is the biggest in the franchise lol. 

As far as XVI we'd really need to look at it's sales throughout a decent period of time. VII R opened big but had very short legs. It's overall meek performance can probably be tied to it being only part of the full game and the nostalgia aspect being overated.

Lastly the franchise hasn't grown massively as it maybe could have but the first place I'd look is at the highly divisive experience people have been having recently with Both mainline games (XIII & XV) and the spinoffs. Most people I know haven't loved a FF since the 2000s. Let's see if 16 can help mend that...

Of course being on Switch would help SE shift more units but I think its blatantly against their ambitions for mainline FF for the time being & mainline FF isn't actually declining in sales so far. 

That 1m on Xbox makes up for the 1m they miss out on in Japan, XVI's opening shows the series continues to slide in the region while PC would have given XV another 1 to 2m in sales so again the last entry is only the biggest because of multiplatform releases they helped offset the decline in the region.

We can talk about decline because that's what is happening in the region which is the point both XV and VIIR only hit 1m in Japan in a series that used to hit 3m in the region, both these games had little legs after launch week I don’t see XVI being any different.

Other games have had divisive games but have still grown, Zelda being one with a few before BOTW and even RE series with RE7, the issue isn't FF being divisive it's the quality and appeal of what's been put out. Having ambition is one thing but the comes a point where you have to step back and assess if you have the right ambition going forward and if it's focusing on the right priority in doing so. 

Your jumping between perspectives

Either we're talking decline in Japan or we're talking WW. In japan Xbox release is irrelevant, WW decline is not real in the mainline series with or without the 1m from Xbox.

The quality is partially what has made FF divisive recentlyu lol, which was my point. The comparison to Zelda is a bit off, Zelda has a much stronger core experience than recent Final Fantasy.  FFXIII, XV and XVI might as well each be a different IP. There is no modern AAA franchise which treats each entry as unique as Final Fantasy for better and worse.

During the golden age FFVII, VIII & IX the games were very aligned in gameplay, team orientation & scope at least. I'd love for them to go back to that. 

Last edited by Otter - on 30 June 2023