By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 26, 2023 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

IcaroRibeiro said:

I believe FF will never experience big growth like other franchises 

It's a game that heavily changes the gameplay every entry. People always get dissatisfied with something. I'm talking with some friends who liked FF XV (it was their only FF) and are not liking XVI because they can't control party members and exploration is limited compared with XV open spaces

It's hard to build a core fandom when some games are so different from others. Of course you have people like me who are fans exactly because we don't know what we're getting, but weirdos like are are the minority. Most people want their games to be exactly the same with some iterative evolutions

Even if XVI experience great word of mouth and end selling 15 million (won't happen, but let's pretend for the sake of the argument) I believe this will not lead to a big increase in sales for the next entry, specially if they change everything again

Agree.

Each FF entry will always reinvent itself. It may not be a brand new ip every time, but a lot more work goes into recreating new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new gameplay.

FF could have been boring like Call of Duty or Pokemon and recycle the same gameplay.

FF could have been boring like Zelda or God of war and recycle the same character(s).

FF could have been boring like GTA or Dark Souls and recycle the same type of setting.

People love sequels and having the same consistency, the best selling games are pretty much always games that have been done before. Even FF takes advantage of that fact by using the same name, and of course FF VII Remake.

Around the Network
Otter said:

Your jumping between perspectives

Either we're talking decline in Japan or we're talking WW. In japan Xbox release is irrelevant, WW decline is not real in the mainline series with or without the 1m from Xbox.

The quality is partially what has made FF divisive recentlyu lol, which was my point. The comparison to Zelda is a bit off, Zelda has a much stronger core experience than recent Final Fantasy.  FFXIII, XV and XVI might as well each be a different IP. There is no modern AAA franchise which treats each entry as unique as Final Fantasy for better and worse.

During the golden age FFVII, VIII & IX the games were very aligned in gameplay, team orientation & scope at least. I'd love for them to go back to that. 

No dude you yourself are muddled up on perspective because I was always talking about the decline in Japan hence the point about multiplatform making up for it. 

Zelda doesn't have a stronger core experience it has a consistent identity that Nintendo bends approach, mechanics and gameplay around. BOTW, SS, ALBW, TFH, ST, PH and TP all have different approaches but they all retained the series identity what that means is you still feel like it's Zelda regardless of changes. FF is not being unique in each installment it's lost in an identity crisis SE come across as not knowing what they want it to be and this contributes to the long development cycles. 

During the FFI to FFIX era the games were changing in gameplay and quite significantly, for example the Materia system in VII requires a different approach compared to the Draw/Junction system in VIII. IX used a build like system for each character in which you managed skills passive skills and equipment, V had an advance Job system that can get very technical etc...

Only thing aligned in these games was how combat was executed. 

-Adonis- said:

I love FFXIII's trilogy.
And FFXV on PC is a blast.

XII was my first real dissapointing FF although I still eventually loved it, I enjoyed XIII more from the get go but felt it was very flawed. Sequels varied from fine to skip. 

FFXV King Edition was the first mainline game I never completed.

XVI has me very excited from a story/music/productive perspective, the pure action orientated gameplay isn't setting my world alight but I won't buy it til after I finish Zelda

Last edited by Otter - on 30 June 2023

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

Your jumping between perspectives

Either we're talking decline in Japan or we're talking WW. In japan Xbox release is irrelevant, WW decline is not real in the mainline series with or without the 1m from Xbox.

The quality is partially what has made FF divisive recentlyu lol, which was my point. The comparison to Zelda is a bit off, Zelda has a much stronger core experience than recent Final Fantasy.  FFXIII, XV and XVI might as well each be a different IP. There is no modern AAA franchise which treats each entry as unique as Final Fantasy for better and worse.

During the golden age FFVII, VIII & IX the games were very aligned in gameplay, team orientation & scope at least. I'd love for them to go back to that. 

No dude you yourself are muddled up on perspective because I was always talking about the decline in Japan hence the point about multiplatform making up for it. 

Zelda doesn't have a stronger core experience it has a consistent identity that Nintendo bends approach, mechanics and gameplay around. BOTW, SS, ALBW, TFH, ST, PH and TP all have different approaches but they all retained the series identity what that means is you still feel like it's Zelda regardless of changes. FF is not being unique in each installment it's lost in an identity crisis SE come across as not knowing what they want it to be and this contributes to the long development cycles. 

During the FFI to FFIX era the games were changing in gameplay and quite significantly, for example the Materia system in VII requires a different approach compared to the Draw/Junction system in VIII. IX used a build like system for each character in which you managed skills passive skills and equipment, V had an advance Job system that can get very technical etc...

This was literally your response to me talking about XV's global sales to Soundwave highlighting its the best selling entry in the franchise.

"XV isn't PS exclusive which is also his point, not appealing to Japan is part of the reason for the decline in sales. Being multiplatform helped make up for the loss but as an exclusive it's not going to match XV, FFVIIR landed at 5.6m despite being a heavily anticipated title for years with some people saying it will hit 10m, XVI will likely settle at the same mark."

The bolded are all references to global sales on your side. The multiplatform benefit you're referencing in regards to XV must also be in regards to global sales since it didn't impact japan at all. 

Otter said:
Wyrdness said:

This was literally your response to me talking about XV's global sales to Soundwave highlighting its the best selling entry in the franchise.

"XV isn't PS exclusive which is also his point, not appealing to Japan is part of the reason for the decline in sales. Being multiplatform helped make up for the loss but as an exclusive it's not going to match XV, FFVIIR landed at 5.6m despite being a heavily anticipated title for years with some people saying it will hit 10m, XVI will likely settle at the same mark."

The bolded are all references to global sales on your side. The multiplatform benefit you're referencing in regards to XV must also be in regards to global sales since it didn't impact japan at all. 

Soundwave was referring to Japan you yourself brought in WW and brought in XV as proof, my response to you is fair as pointing out the growth was due to being multiplatform which helped offset the decline in the region matches the context of focusing on the region.

It's not anyone else's issue here but your own. 

Around the Network
Otter said:
-Adonis- said:

I love FFXIII's trilogy.
And FFXV on PC is a blast.

XII was my first real dissapointing FFXIII although I still eventually loved it, I enjoyed XIII more from the get go but felt it was very flawed. Sequels varied from fine to skip. 

FFXV King Edition was the first mainline game I never completed.

XVI has me very excited from a story/music/productive perspective, the pure action orientated gameplay isn't setting my world alight but I won't buy it til after I finish Zelda

Never had the chance to play X and XII That's why I'm happy that there will be a X Remake. For FFXV, I use a higher difficulty mod because like you people said, this one is too easy otherwise.

I will buy FFXVI too but of course when I can (it's not on PC yet).

--------------------

I didn't post it here yet, but this is the FF total sales :

(2019)

Final Fantasy VII : 9 900 000 (12,6 million on every platforms)
Final Fantasy VIII : 8 600 000
Final Fantasy IX : 5 500 000
Final Fantasy X : 8 600 000
Final Fantasy XII : 6 400 000
Final Fantasy XIII : 7 700 000 (on every platforms)
Final Fantasy XV : 10 000 000 (on every platforms)

When we hear some people, it's like they believe old FF was doing 30 million alone... that was never the case. I can't wait for future update of FFXVI and FFVII Remake because I know it will be among the best selling FF. 

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

Soundwave was referring to Japan you yourself brought in WW and brought in XV as proof, my response to you is fair as pointing out the growth was due to being multiplatform which helped offset the decline in the region matches the context of focusing on the region.

It's not anyone else's issue here but your own. 

Maybe you should let Soundwave speak for themselves, and even if you removed XBox One's XV sales, It'd still be growth over FFXIII, not decline

In a way, I feel like this week’s Japanese chart is where Switch gave the middle finger to Sony and Square, along with other Japanese third parties. Getting closer to its 7th year, the Switch outsold the PS5 on the launch week of what used to be one of the biggest juggernauts in Japan. FFXVI is the lone PS game in the top 10 software chart (we’ll see how the top 30 is, once it’s revealed).

I believe one reason why the sales of FF XVI are so weak compared to other entries of the series is because Square Enix completely abandonded the 

Turn-based Battle system. I am sure many of you disagree but its just my opinion.

Liberte89 said:

I believe one reason why the sales of FF XVI are so weak compared to other entries of the series is because Square Enix completely abandonded the 

Turn-based Battle system. I am sure many of you disagree but its just my opinion.

Mate, the last FF game that had turn based combat was FFX, 22 years ago.

This game is more for western audiences.