By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario RPG Remake announced for Switch, launches November 17

Never played more than an hour as a kid, so I want to play this and play through the game.
I have to think this was chosen over a remake or remaster of the first two Paper Mario games for a couple reasons.
1. It's older, and the first Mario RPG.
2. Nintendo might make a direct sequel one day, but that's a long shot.
3. Nintendo has spite towards Paper Mario fans. They're genuinely resentful of both well-meaning fans and people who take it too far in their criticisms of more modern Paper Mario. So if they ever do remake or remaster the old games, they're dragging the wait out of spite.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Never played more than an hour as a kid, so I want to play this and play through the game.
I have to think this was chosen over a remake or remaster of the first two Paper Mario games for a couple reasons.
1. It's older, and the first Mario RPG.
2. Nintendo might make a direct sequel one day, but that's a long shot.
3. Nintendo has spite towards Paper Mario fans. They're genuinely resentful of both well-meaning fans and people who take it too far in their criticisms of more modern Paper Mario. So if they ever do remake or remaster the old games, they're dragging the wait out of spite.

People have been asking for this one for quite a while.

This is a good sign. It means Nintendo hasn't completely forgotten the love people have for Mario RPGs.

CaptainExplosion said:

This is a good sign. It means Nintendo hasn't completely forgotten the love people have for Mario RPGs.

Yeah, but Nintendo themselves don't make Mario RPGs.

Intelligent Systems have made it clear they have no interest in taking the Paper Mario series back to its RPG roots, and the developer of the Mario & Luigi games went defunct 3 years ago. 

So unless we're getting more remakes, I don't think we're getting any brand new Mario RPG games. At least not anytime soon. 

But Super Mario RPG I welcome with massive open arms!

gtotheunit91 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Intelligent Systems have made it clear they have no interest in taking the Paper Mario series back to its RPG roots

So much for being called INTELLIGENT Systems.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Intelligent Systems have made it clear they have no interest in taking the Paper Mario series back to its RPG roots, and the developer of the Mario & Luigi games went defunct 3 years ago. 

So unless we're getting more remakes, I don't think we're getting any brand new Mario RPG games. At least not anytime soon. 

Didn't the director of Mario RPG just recently say he wants to do a Super Mario RPG 2 as his next game project and then retire? 

It seems to me like this very well could be a case of Mario RPG Remake leading into a Mario RPG sequel. 

Best Mario RPG game by far and glad to see it return. I hope it leads to a sequel.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Soundwave said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Didn't the director of Mario RPG just recently say he wants to do a Super Mario RPG 2 as his next game project and then retire? 

It seems to me like this very well could be a case of Mario RPG Remake leading into a Mario RPG sequel. 

Yes he did! I loved his work on the Mario & Luigi games. Idk what he's doing now when AlphaDream shutdown though. We've heard many times of creatives wanting to make another game in a dormant series, but never get the chance to. 

I'm definitely hoping he's getting on Nintendo's last nerve to make a sequel I wonder who would make the game though. It would be great if Nintendo could make the game in-house while he leads the team. 

I wonder if the UI is still a work in progress. Very little is shown there.

Good attention to detail:

Looks great, Nintendo had a great showing.

But I'm confused, this is neither action based or has a different story. I thought that is what 'Remake' meant?

Hmm, pie.