By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch pro controller is the best!

I love the Pro Controller. I may have to find the Zelda-themed Pro Controller. It will go nicely with my Zelda OLED.

Around the Network

The Pro Controller firmly surpassed the GameCube Controller for me. I still prefer the GameCube's mold and triggers. Virtually everything else is better on the Switch Pro Controller.
DualSense is a better value than the Pro Controller. It's the same price with more features. And while it's not comfy as the Pro Controller and has worse battery life, it feels better than the controllers on the first 3 PlayStations.
I don't mind that the Pro Controller doesn't have a touchpad and advanced features of the DualSense, but I wish it had analog triggers.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I've been using my Smash Bros controller for 4 and a half years and I still don't have any problems with it. It's a super comfortable controller to hold for hours at a time, and not having to charge it for days, if not weeks at a time, is great!

SvennoJ said:

I love the TotK themed pro controller, looks sharp. The halo themed Series controllers feels nicer to hold though thanks to the added texture on the grips (the regular ones don't feel so good) However the Series controllers are very heavy though compared to the DS and Pro controller (I use rechargeable batteries, adds to the weight I guess) And yeah the DS is slightly bigger than the pro controller, not a big issue since the left analog stick is also lower. It it were asymmetric like the Series and Pro controllers it would be uncomfortable to hold my thumb in that spot.

Now can MS/Sony/Nintendo not make a decision on where accept and cancel should be, can't we standardize that finally. So many times I press B in TotK to accept, just backing out of the menu or cancelling again. And why does XBox have Y and X, A and B swapped around vs the Pro controller??? Then Sony has X at the bottom, Nintendo X at the top, MS X on the left, argh.

@bold: I feel your pain, especially with B and A. Every time I switch between Switch and Xbox, I always spend the first session backing out when I meant to accept, and vice versa. Definitely a first world problem, but an annoying one

SvennoJ said:

I love the TotK themed pro controller, looks sharp. The halo themed Series controllers feels nicer to hold though thanks to the added texture on the grips (the regular ones don't feel so good) However the Series controllers are very heavy though compared to the DS and Pro controller (I use rechargeable batteries, adds to the weight I guess) And yeah the DS is slightly bigger than the pro controller, not a big issue since the left analog stick is also lower. It it were asymmetric like the Series and Pro controllers it would be uncomfortable to hold my thumb in that spot.

Now can MS/Sony/Nintendo not make a decision on where accept and cancel should be, can't we standardize that finally. So many times I press B in TotK to accept, just backing out of the menu or cancelling again. And why does XBox have Y and X, A and B swapped around vs the Pro controller??? Then Sony has X at the bottom, Nintendo X at the top, MS X on the left, argh.

Nintendo's B-A / Y-X button scheme came way before anyone else's, but after SNES they stopped being home console market leaders and now people feel Sony's are the standard. To be honest, up until today I kinda feel any other button arrangement that not Nintendo's to be awkward (I bought a SNES more than 31 years ago...).

Around the Network
farlaff said:
SvennoJ said:

Nintendo's B-A / Y-X button scheme came way before anyone else's, but after SNES they stopped being home console market leaders and now people feel Sony's are the standard. To be honest, up until today I kinda feel any other button arrangement that not Nintendo's to be awkward (I bought a SNES more than 31 years ago...).

Same here. 

I kind of got used to PlayStation's layout, though, and can switch between Nintendo and Sony pretty easily. It's Microsoft's layout that feels off to me.

farlaff said:

It's not just difference between controllers, Japanese games tend to use O for accept and X to cancel on Playstation while western games use X to accept O to cancel. It depends on what I played last what buttons I keep pressing 'wrong'. TotK has lots of button combos, plenty room to press the wrong button at the wrong time lol.

It gets really confusing when using a Pro controller or PS controller on Windows while playing an XBox game with XBox button prompts. Where's my decoder chart lol.

It is pretty damn good.

The Dualsense is clearly better IMO, but the battery on my Pro Controler lasts longer than the DualShock4 and Dualsense put together.

Dualsense has the worst Dpad of all 3. All 3 made a good controller this generation but seriously buy that 8bitdo Ultimate Controller. It's so much better than the Pro and better built and the sticks will never drift. If I choose between which the first party has the best pad in feel? Series X. I like the DualSense a lot but I turn the bullshit off that kills battery life and shortens the lifespan of the triggers.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Weird. My ranking is exactly opposite of the OP. XB Series is best, followed by Dual Sense (too bulky), then the Switch Pro bringing up the rear. The Pro feels like it should be a $40 third-party accessory, not the premier OEM product.

That said, I mostly play Switch with a $20 controller I bought on Amazon. I intended it to be a secindary controller for co-op play with my son, but it has become my favorite. I'll post a link later if anyone is interested. I prefer it to the Pro in all respects except rumble. It does not have the quality haptic feedback that you'd like from a Switch controller. It seems to just have basic rumble.

If we want to talk battery, my ranking goes Pro, XB, Dual Sense.  IMO, the battery life of the DualSense is not even close to reasonable for what should be a quality product in 2023.  It needs at least double the life, and even then it wouldn't be anywhere close to the Pro.  It is almost a tie between Pro and XB though, cuz swappable batteries are superior unless the internal battery life is phenomenal.  I have had to install a USB-C cable through my couch cuz I have to plug my DualSense so often..... 

Last edited by VAMatt - on 17 June 2023