By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO should add a home console version for switch 2

Nintendo brand is stronger then ever, and with Sony and Microsoft coming out with different models why not Nintendo? Imagine if Sony thought ps4 pro is a success and it didn't come close to selling like the base, it did boost sales and gave customers a choice. It could be something like series- s which they can probably get chips really cheap right now.

Around the Network

It wouldn't work . Nintendo is more dominant with their handheld which is why switch is successful.

dane007 said:

It wouldn't work . Nintendo is more dominant with their handheld which is why switch is successful.

They would have a handheld version and home console version it doesn't have to do crazy numbers. Ps4 pro probably sold 15% of what ps4 pro did but it was still considered a success for Sony. Considering how big the Nintendo fan base is now I can see people picking up the handheld and the home console version.

No,
Nintendo better keep hybrid console

They can keep a hybrid but why not a option just for a more powerful home console. I don't see how this hurts them. It's just giving options like all consoles are doing these days like the switch lite or ps4 pro.

Around the Network

I do want this but for one simple reason. When my Switch can no longer hold a charge even docking it won't turn it on. Newer USB devices. So I don't mind what Sony did with PSvita TV but more thought out to be BC with all Switch and Switch 2 games and an affordable price.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

They should.
They won't.
New CEO's can change direction, even if marginally. You will be waiting a long time.

I see no reason to abandon the hybrid form factor for a tiered one. 

Modern APU's are able to scale well with different power profiles. If Nintendo wants the docked experience to be greatly superior to the portable experience, then it is just a matter of having decent cooling, and allowing the platform to scale up to 25W - 30W when docked. 

We already see how well the Steam Deck (and newer PC portables) scale with different power profiles. 

My guess is that Switch 2 will probably use a mobile Ampere-based chip (if Nintendo goes Nvidia.) That'd probably put it between an RTX 3050 mobile and base Tegra Orin when docked, and akin to the RTX 2050 Mobile when portable. 

That'd be decent for a 1080p/1440p target resolution aided by DLSS. It'd be a generational improvement over the Switch, which is all Nintendo needs for people to want it and its games.

sc94597 said:

I see no reason to abandon the hybrid form factor for a tiered one. 

Modern APU's are able to scale well with different power profiles. If Nintendo wants the docked experience to be greatly superior to the portable experience, then it is just a matter of having decent cooling, and allowing the platform to scale up to 25W - 30W when docked. 

We already see how well the Steam Deck (and newer PC portables) scale with different power profiles. 

My guess is that Switch 2 will probably use a mobile Ampere-based chip (if Nintendo goes Nvidia.) That'd probably put it between an RTX 3050 mobile and base Tegra Orin when docked, and akin to the RTX 2050 Mobile when portable. 

That'd be decent for a 1080p/1440p target resolution aided by DLSS. It'd be a generational improvement over the Switch, which is all Nintendo needs for people to want it and its games.

They don't need to abandon the hybrid option they made a the switch  lite did that mean they abandoned the hybrid option? I imagine it will also be  much cheaper to make a console on par with series s then then the  console you're describing.  Nintendo wants massive profit, it's why they probably canceled a pro version. In  a age with so many option and Nintendo being on top again why not give your customers choices 

I'm not sure what Nintendo is gonna do with switch 2 but they seem to like making a good profit on every unit sold so ik not expecting it to be as powerful as a Steam Deck.