By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
Spindel said:
zeldaring said:

People saying  it's say it's playable always make me laugh. why would I wanna play 30fps shooter, fighter, action, or racer when you have tons of options for 60fps and yes it makes a huge difference for those games.

No, it doesn’t. 

Those genres don't even run 30fps anymore that  should give you a clue of how it important it is for gameplay . Unless they are being down ported to switch. I mean everyone here has stated how important it is. So you don't care thanks for sharing your opinion.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Spindel said:

No, it doesn’t. 

Those genres don't even run 30fps anymore that  should give you a clue of how it important it is for gameplay . Unless they are being down ported to switch. I mean everyone here has stated how important it is. So you don't care thanks for sharing your opinion.

It doesn’t matter.

Lol ok 👍

zeldaring said:

Lol ok 👍

A F1 driver will still beat you on a track while driving a standard car because of skill.

Tiger Woods will still beat you at golf while playing with the cheapest set of clubs.

Usain Bolt will outrun you bare foot.

I’ll beat you in original UT @30 fps even if you have higher.

FPS as long as stable does not matter unless you are the top 0,5 % in skill level.

Spindel said:
zeldaring said:

Lol ok 👍

A F1 driver will still beat you on a track while driving a standard car because of skill.

Tiger Woods will still beat you at golf while playing with the cheapest set of clubs.

Usain Bolt will outrun you bare foot.

I’ll beat you in original UT @30 fps even if you have higher.

FPS as long as stable does not matter unless you are the top 0,5 % in skill 

Go ask anyone that plays a fighting games. Racers and fps and tells them 60fps doesn't matter basically no one will agree with you. the feel of good gameplay takes a big With input lag and even causing some people headache but ok we get it. It doesn't matter to you and you think everyone should share your  opinion

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Spindel said:

No, it doesn’t. 

Astral Chain is one of the best action games in recent years, by the kings of the action genre, and has no problem at 30fps.

Forza Horizon games usually launched at 30fps and the most well received racing games on the market. Main reason Forza Horizon 5 didn't is likely because it was cross-gen. Won't shock me if the next launches at 30fps again so they can push more expansive features, if that can increase the gameplay experience. Since that's what gaming is about, the overall experience, not this banal tunnel-visioning on one aspect and some numbers.

AC is an outlier to the genre as it has a unique combat system designed for it. The Bayonetta and DMC rely on 60FPS. Metal Gear Rising is 60FPS. PG aims for it usually for a reason.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I mean, I do like 60fps, but I played Doom 2016 and Eternal on Switch at 30fps and still had an amazing time. Also really enjoyed Sonic Racing Transformed and the Crash Team Racing remake at 30fps.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 June 2023

Shaunodon said:
zeldaring said:

Astral Chain is one of the best action games in recent years, by the kings of the action genre, and has no problem at 30fps.

Forza Horizon games usually launched at 30fps and the most well received racing games on the market. Main reason Forza Horizon 5 didn't is likely because it was cross-gen. Won't shock me if the next launches at 30fps again so they can push more expansive features, if that can increase the gameplay experience. Since that's what gaming is about, the overall experience, not this banal tunnel-visioning on one aspect and some numbers.

Horizon is open world arcade racer show me a competitive fighting game, racing or fps less then 60fps so clearly it does matter and 30fps will be a big downgrade. And basically a death sentences for any of those genres 

For the record I much prefer framerate. But I won't stubbornly obssess over it to the point I try to downplay some of the best game releases and dissuade others from enjoying them.

And since I mostly play single-player, and especially since I bought my new TV at the start of this gen, I would opt to have my first playthrough in most games on quality mode as long as it's stable. If the game is worth playing and putting in time beyond that, then I'd switch for higher performance from then on. I just rarely get that devoted to a single game enough to care about that gameplay edge these days.

If you're spending money for an expensive new TV to match expensive new hardware, you want to at least see what they're capable of. Of course there're many who jumped into next-gen already but may not have made the jump to 4k, so quality modes won't have the same value to them.