By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
Leynos said:
Pemalite said:

And I argued that would never happen... Because:

1) Fixed hardware doesn't change, developers are always looking at ways to make sacrifices to make their games look and run better, so resolution+framerate is the first to go.

2) RT is heavy.

3) Consoles are only using mid-range hardware.

Oh, I knew it wasn't going to happen. I'm just tired of the lies. 8th gen they promised 1080P 60FPS all the time. 7th gen Sony promised their games would be 1080P but you can fit the list of 1080P games on PS3 on a single page of a notepad.

Still remember Uncharted 4 promising 60fps initially then ending up 30fps because in the words of Naughty Dog "we're going for the experience over 60fps."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-uncharted-ps4-is-1080p-targeting-60fps/1100-6420305/

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/01/15/uncharted-4-wont-be-60fps-if-it-compromises-player-experience/

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

Oh, I knew it wasn't going to happen. I'm just tired of the lies. 8th gen they promised 1080P 60FPS all the time. 7th gen Sony promised their games would be 1080P but you can fit the list of 1080P games on PS3 on a single page of a notepad.

Still remember Uncharted 4 promising 60fps initially then ending up 30fps because in the words of Naughty Dog "we're going for the experience over 60fps."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-uncharted-ps4-is-1080p-targeting-60fps/1100-6420305/

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/01/15/uncharted-4-wont-be-60fps-if-it-compromises-player-experience/

They said targeting so its not actually a full lie lol. similar  thing happened with the original BOTW it was a pretty big down grade compared to the original wiiu trailer. DF even said  tOKT was down graded  as well. Not even the most powerful PC can guarantee every game to run at 60fps cause its up to the developers. 

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

They said targeting so its not actually a full lie lol. similar  thing happened with the original BOTW it was a pretty big down grade compared to the original wiiu trailer. DF even said  tOKT was down graded  as well. Not even the most powerful PC can guarantee every game to run at 60fps cause its up to the developers. 

This is exactly what I have been saying since the beginning.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

You think starfield can deliver ? this seems like the kind of game you wanted where it pushes everything to the max. personally these games usually don't and even when they do like red dead 2 the gameplay is lacking. 

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

You think starfield can deliver ? this seems like the kind of game you wanted where it pushes everything to the max. personally these games usually don't and even when they do like red dead 2 the gameplay is lacking. 

We'll have to wait and see whether Starfield delivers; I am skeptical as it's Besthesda, their games often suffer from poor performance and bugs. Still, it definitely looks like it has a lot of potential. The concept is cool, but the game itself could be either great or terrible depending on the execution.

Around the Network

I truly feel people need to temper expectations around mega-hype AAA games. Too many times in the last decade have those games either not lived up or were released in a broken state. Even Previews of CP2077 were positive saying how great it was as then release day came and well yeah. Redfall previews seemed fine. I don't know if they are paid or there is a fake build of a small section of supposed games played in previews on some of these but just feel it's best to be wary otherwise in danger of the Sonic Cycle.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

We'll have to wait and see whether Starfield delivers; I am skeptical as it's Besthesda, their games often suffer from poor performance and bugs. Still, it definitely looks like it has a lot of potential. The concept is cool, but the game itself could be either great or terrible depending on the execution.

I'm really disappointed in 30fps cause the FPS sections looked  really good. I'll wait for reviews. if it gets a 95  metracritic   ill have to get a xbox for one game finish it then sell it lol.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

For me it was when I did the 20th same design catacomb and fought the cemetery shade for the 19th time.  The main quest us brilliant.  The side open world quests were repetitive as crap.  I think I put in hours.  

I also thought late game felt lazy with "hey, now there is two" boss design.  

To be honest i felt that  with BOTW. I mean you literately have the 120 shrines of the same design and look with puzzles, and 18-20  shrine bosses test of skill or something which were a joke. then you only have  1 cool enemy   the whole game with descent move set.i was loving the game early but the  melee combat get's repetitive fast and i think 20-30 hours in becomes a walk in the park. still thought it was great game but no where near perfect. I'm still early in Elden ring but so far the game is amazing, although i do have some complaints like man these 2 bosses in the castle. especially the one with a dragon on his hand feel like a end game boss, and just too much items and upgrades like the less i'm in menus  in games the better. I imagine this will take at least 120 hours to feel like you can destroy anything using melee combat? I also think the open world riding torrent is perfect cause of how tense it is while your exploring castles and fighting bosses, while riding torrent is just awesome and just enjoying exploring the beautiful world it's a great mix.

Let me know what you think in 60 hours.  I know exactly what boss you are referring too and it was one of the best in the game.  I'm in the minority but ER peaked in the first 20 hours and was stuffed with mediocre filler for 60 hours.  The last 20 hours is really good.  

Basically ER, imho, is a 40 hour game that was forced to be 100 hours with copy/paste.  I just didn't expect that via From Software.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 12 June 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

To be honest i felt that  with BOTW. I mean you literately have the 120 shrines of the same design and look with puzzles, and 18-20  shrine bosses test of skill or something which were a joke. then you only have  1 cool enemy   the whole game with descent move set.i was loving the game early but the  melee combat get's repetitive fast and i think 20-30 hours in becomes a walk in the park. still thought it was great game but no where near perfect. I'm still early in Elden ring but so far the game is amazing, although i do have some complaints like man these 2 bosses in the castle. especially the one with a dragon on his hand feel like a end game boss, and just too much items and upgrades like the less i'm in menus  in games the better. I imagine this will take at least 120 hours to feel like you can destroy anything using melee combat? I also think the open world riding torrent is perfect cause of how tense it is while your exploring castles and fighting bosses, while riding torrent is just awesome and just enjoying exploring the beautiful world it's a great mix.

Let me know what you think in 60 hours.  I know exactly what boss you are referring too and it was one of the best in the game.  I'm in the minority but ER peaked in the first 20 hours and was stuffed with mediocre filler for 60 hours.  The last 20 hours is really good.  

Basically ER, imho, is a 40 hour game that was forced to be 100 hours with copy/paste.  I just didn't expect that via From Software.  

I'll let you know. My fave games were sikero, and bloodborne both 10s for me. Never a huge fan of dark souls because the combat just doesn't feel as good as those games and why is it so hard to parry lol.  I only finished dark souls 3 and it  a was 8 but i had alot of things going on so maybe thats why i didn't  love it.

From Softs best games are Armored Core 4A. Metal Wolf Chaos. Frame Gride. Otogi 1-2. I'm glad they found success even tho not a souls fan but I am so excited to see Armored Core Return. I'm also going to grab popcorn as newer From fans who only know them for Souls are let down when they find out what AC is. Hint nothing like Souls.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!