By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 16 - Hands-on previews (update; Demo reactions)

It looks great so far. 

Demo reactions:

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 15 June 2023

Around the Network

The FF series has the same cycle as Sonic to me. I will judge for myself when I get my hands on it. Trusting big-name sites and YT's who are paid and would be blacklisted saying something negative is not a great indicator of how good it might actually be or bad. But FF16 is pretty much the series' last chance with me to impress. 13 and 15 got great previews and reviews and they were fucking trash. Same with FF7R. Only giving FF16 a shot as it finally returns the series to Fantasy without Sci-Fi.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

The FF series has the same cycle as Sonic to me. I will judge for myself when I get my hands on it. Trusting big-name sites and YT's who are paid and would be blacklisted saying something negative is not a great indicator of how good it might actually be or bad. But FF16 is pretty much the series' last chance with me to impress. 13 and 15 got great previews and reviews and they were fucking trash. Same with FF7R. Only giving FF16 a shot as it finally returns the series to Fantasy without Sci-Fi.

I disagree with the 7 Remake, but agree with the others. I thought 7R was amazing. I’ve never played the original and I got it for my Deck and absolutely enjoyed the hell out of it. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Leynos said:

Welp, its probably over for you, if you didnt enjoyed ff15 and ff7r, i dont think you are gonna enjoy this one. Rest in pepperoni.

For me : The only part who repel me is the engine, they are hiding it. But it's so ugly in comparison to ff7r. It really does not make me feel the game is for the last generation. There are some nice cutscenes, but when you're in-game what I see isn't up to par. I don't know if I'm the only one thinking like this?

Leynos said:

I agree with FF15 being trash, I suffer with completionism but even then, that game was too much of an assault on all of my senses for me to complete (the royal edition my ass). I haven't played FF13/FF7R yet.  

But yes, the franchise is in desperate need for a high quality main entry title. 

Around the Network
Crown said:
Leynos said:

For me : The only part who repel me is the engine, they are hiding it. But it's so ugly in comparison to ff7r. It really does not make me feel the game is for the last generation. There are some nice cutscenes, but when you're in-game what I see isn't up to par. I don't know if I'm the only one thinking like this?

IIRC, FF16 is using the same engine as FF14 since it's the same development team. They had to overhaul the engine to not look like an MMORPG. Which, FF14 does look pretty good for an MMO, but that may be the reason as to why the graphics in FF16 may seem ugly at times, but it still looks really good overall imo. Just the closeups that look meh.

FF7R used Unreal Engine which of course is capable of insane graphics. The game itself I was very "meh" the presentation and combat were fantastic, but the story and side quests......so much filler that I wanted to call it Filler Fantasy lol.

But, FF16 is definitely looking like a return to form for the series! Aside from the reservations old school fans will have of the combat system and lack of a party system lol

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 22 May 2023

Crown said:
Leynos said:

Welp, its probably over for you, if you didnt enjoyed ff15 and ff7r, i dont think you are gonna enjoy this one. Rest in pepperoni.

At the games reveal sure, but at this point it's easily one of the best looking games announced for any console. The environments wipe the floor with FFVIIR which had great character models & VFX but the environments fell apart the minute you entered organic/non shinra areas. Although it may not entirely be the next-gen leap leap I'd expect, nothing about the game is ugly from the recent footage. Character models are a bit stiffer & flat compared to FFVIIR and a push more more naturalistic lighting can leave it look a bit muted & dark

8 - awesome, 9 - awesome, 10 - awesome, 12 - not for me, 13 - garbage, 15 - garbage. These are all the mainline FF games I ever played. And so far, it is 50/50. Which does not sound so bad. But 10 was in 2001. Which means I did not play any good FF games in 22 years. That is horrible.

As Leynos said: this is their last chance with me. If 16 is trash, I will still buy 17 as long as it turns out great. But I will not get hyped for 17 and I will not buy anything FF ever again with only watching 2 or 3 reviews, so as to not get spoiled.

And I don't even know if I can trust many reviewers on FF. Because I also agree with Leynos that FF13 and FF15 deserved far worse reviews than what they got. Is it nostalgia? Are reviewers giving FF a pass because of misplaced sentimentality? 14 got wrecked though. So I really don't get it.

Between FF7 and FF10 there were only 4 years. And they managed to put out 4 FFs with some of the best video game stories ever told and some of the most iconic, beautiful art and the most inventive fantasy elements ever. In just 4, 5 years. And than they take 22 years to create the next 4 mainline single player FF games. And up to 16 everything was filled with plotholes, lame, flat uninteresting characters, boring, illogical stories, and writing so bad as if Kojima played them like a fiddle. Dies not bode well for 16. But I heard good things frim FF14. So who knows.

gtotheunit91 said:
Crown said:

IIRC, FF16 is using the same engine as FF14 since it's the same development team. They had to overhaul the engine to not look like an MMORPG. Which, FF14 does look pretty good for an MMO, but that may be the reason as to why the graphics in FF16 may seem ugly at times, but it still looks really good overall imo. Just the closeups that look meh.

FF7R used Unreal Engine which of course is capable of insane graphics. The game itself I was very "meh" the presentation and combat were fantastic, but the story and side quests......so much filler that I wanted to call it Filler Fantasy lol.

But, FF16 is definitely looking like a return to form for the series! Aside from the reservations old school fans will have of the combat system and lack of a party system lol

I love ARPGs so the combat was never a concern and I know that the former combat director of DMC worked on this game. One of my fave RPGs in the last few years in Scarlet Nexus. I love the idea of merging Stylish Action with an RPG. My concern is broader and in general, SE kinda sucks in so many ways as a Publisher and FF Mainline SP games have been largely bad for 20 years. (btw FF Strangers in Paradise Origin is awesome, didn't include it before since it's not mainline)

Edit: Side note while not SE. People probably forgot CD Project invited Websites and YT's to play a preview build of CP2077 and all were positive about it. Then launch came and we know the rest.

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 May 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

JuliusHackebeil said:

And I don't even know if I can trust many reviewers on FF. Because I also agree with Leynos that FF13 and FF15 deserved far worse reviews than what they got. Is it nostalgia? Are reviewers giving FF a pass because of misplaced sentimentality? 14 got wrecked though. So I really don't get it.

Between FF7 and FF10 there were only 4 years. And they managed to put out 4 FFs with some of the best video game stories ever told and some of the most iconic, beautiful art and the most inventive fantasy elements ever. In just 4, 5 years. And than they take 22 years to create the next 4 mainline single player FF games. And up to 16 everything was filled with plotholes, lame, flat uninteresting characters, boring, illogical stories, and writing so bad as if Kojima played them like a fiddle. Dies not bode well for 16. But I heard good things frim FF14. So who knows.

Maybe people just liked them more than you did? That being said, I'm sure the reviews would have been lower today for XIII...

Now, Yoshi-P is behind XIV (widely considered the best ongoing MMORPG) and this, so it should be very unlike most of these games played except perhaps for XII. And if XVI it's very successful that hopefully means Nomura & Co. will be forever shoved aside to just do KH and the VII trilogy.