By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

I played the game for 10 hours and haven't encountered a single bug. That's something that I'm not used to anymore these days. It reminds me of the old days. So I guess in a sense TotK feels dated. But that's a good thing.

When it comes to graphics, I simply do not care.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

I played the game for 10 hours and haven't encountered a single bug. That's something that I'm not used to anymore these days. It reminds me of the old days. So I guess in a sense TotK feels dated. But that's a good thing.

When it comes to graphics, I simply do not care.

I've actually come across loads of bugs.

Grasshoppers, fireflies, butterflies, beetles etc. 

As someone who loves me some maxed out settings and high resolutions and frame rates; I can still say that I like how TotK looks. I like that they've focused on further enhancing the immersion and interactivity of the game world by using physics and combinations of features. This is something most developers could take a cue from - there's too much focus on glitz and glamour and too little on substance. To me, the more classical cartoon-like visuals, along with the physics and sheer breadth of interaction possibilities make for a delightful, "realistic" unrealistic fantasy journey.

That said, I do find the Switch's performance jarring at times, it's mostly down to playing on a large TV and the low frame rates. There's also quite a bit of pop-in. But low fps and pop-in is also an issue on other consoles, and mostly always has been.

Your have memory issues if the way the foliage moves reminds you of the PS2, OG Xbox days and the “graphics in general feel like a quality indie game from 10-15 years ago”.

Nothing of that sort existed as such during that era. And I can’t figure why you thought this would be thread worthy.

Last edited by Hynad - on 17 May 2023

Kakadu18 said:
VAMatt said:

Like any art, some of it comes down to personal preference. That said, like any art, there are also some objective criteria that can be used to evaluate. 

So TotK looks objectively graphically worse than Skyrim? Bullshit

Not sure where you came up with that statement to argue against. It isn't a statement I made. 

Around the Network
masschamber said:

I think every switch game makes the cumbersome wasteful tv tethered dinosaurs of the ps5 and xsx feel dated, you are stuck tied to a television burning like 200 watts, ughhh savagery just to get some more graphics,
I don't understand how anyone can play a console that is missing the freedom feature the switch has

You win the “most dishonest comment of the thread” award!!

Congrats!!👏👏👏

Spindel said:

My suggestion is that people should start playing games instead of watching games.

My suggestion to you is to quit making this ignorant assumption that great graphics come with a compromise to gameplay. 

Hynad said:
Spindel said:

My suggestion is that people should start playing games instead of watching games.

My suggestion to you is to quit making this ignorant assumption that great graphics come with a compromise to gameplay. 

It does not have to do that, but it certainly can. Games are made on a budget and targeting a release date. Time and money that is spent on one aspect of the game will not be spent on another aspect of the game.

Hynad said:
Spindel said:

Nah.

I’m too busy playing the game.

A classic reaction thread to Nintendo's success, only beaten in its LOL-worthiness by the final sentence in haxxiy's post.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.