By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Hiring For "Next-Generation Platform" and "Cross Generation"

Been out there for a few days, but Nintendo's European research division (NERD) has put out a job listing, the job alludes to a next-generation Nintendo platform as part of the job as well as cross-generation 

https://www.nerd.nintendo.com/files/Job%20Offer%20GAMETECH2023%20EN.pdf

The position focuses more specifically on
• Game engine architecture
Cross-platform development
• Network programming
• Interactions with large code bases

The goal will be to aim for and go beyond state-of-the-art solutions in these fields, targeting current and next
generation Nintendo platforms.

The operating environments are Windows/Linux, and the Nintendo consoles’ OS and SDK.

So I think that is the first official Nintendo hiring leak we've seen for a next-generation system (inclusive). Nintendo is indeed hiring for positions that will have to work on the new Nintendo next-gen platform, also it mentions cross-platform development so that probably is a tip off that there will be cross-platform Nintendo games for Switch 1 and Switch 2 (to no one's real surprise). Also they refer to Nintendo's console OS and SDK (software development kit) in the plural, so that probably indicates there is a dev kit and OS for the Switch 2, along with just the singular Switch platform. 

Around the Network

Like I kinda wanna be happy about this in some way, but every speculation topics that have been done recently on the nature of Nintendo's next hardware and the age of Nintendo current console.

Just lead to this obvious conclusion that they were already in a transition phase.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Cross-platform and Windows/Linux mentioned? I know it's probably just developing for multiple Nintendo consoles on Windows/Linux PCs, but I'd absolutely love it if Nintendo were going to join Sony/MS in releasing their games on Steam.

The lack of longevity is the worst part about Nintendo games to me, and that would instantly fix it. Like, I bought my first Steam game in 2008 and I can still download and play it on my current PC without having to pay a penny more to do so. While for a Nintendo game I bought in 2008, unless I have the original hardware still working and hooked up (I don't. Only have a Switch at the moment.) then I have to hope Nintendo have decided to re-release it on a current platform and have to pay for it again (or worse, pay a shitty subscription) to play it, and if they haven't re-released it I'm just shit out of luck.

Or maybe cross platform means Xbox

SKMBlake said:

They are clearly going third party now.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
SKMBlake said:

That's why the analyst asked for Furukawa's resignation, to have a more cloud-focused CEO

SKMBlake said:
Kakadu18 said:

That's why the analyst asked for Furukawa's resignation, to have a more cloud-focused CEO

Lol to all this. Good stuff, folks :)

In all seriousness, tough, I guess this kind of buries the fear of some that the system would not be backwards compatible. It would be crazy to ditch a (in the least) 130+ million users base.

Most likely to be Switch 2 (or whatever Nintendo decides to call it. No way is Nintendo going to release their games on Valve Steam or some other store lol.

Ah interesting. Honestly I wasn't really expecting cross-platform stuff, maybe like a dumbed down Prime 4 on Switch if it is still very delayed to the point where it could be a launch title for next gen, but other than that didn't expect any first party cross-gen titles. Sony and Microsoft do a ton of that but Nintendo never has, but I guess perhaps they will start. Maybe we'll see several first party early Switch 2 games also release on Switch. I suppose it makes sense considering how big the Switch userbase is. As long as releasing Switch 2 games on Switch doesn't effect the Switch 2 games.

I wanna hear more!! ^^