By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Hiring For "Next-Generation Platform" and "Cross Generation"

If this is true, this would be the first-time since the NES/Super NES (and even some overlap with Game Boy) that cross-gen Nintendo games were common. But in all fairness, I think most of those games (if not all of them) back in the day were puzzle games. They don't exactly require sophisticated specs.
As for possible cross-gen Nintendo games...
-Mario Kart 9: This is a no-brainer. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has brought the series to financial heights and a level of content never seen until now. With how many Switch players are out there, making 9 a cross-gen game to get it to as many Nintendo players as possible seems like a great financial boost.
-Metroid Prime 4: Prime 4 has been in development for a long-time. It's been designed with the Switch in mind, but there's no reason it can't be cross-gen.
-2D Mario
-Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD
-Rhythm Heaven
-F-Zero GX HD
-Star Fox
-Donkey Kong

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

If this is true, this would be the first-time since the NES/Super NES (and even some overlap with Game Boy) that cross-gen Nintendo games were common. But in all fairness, I think most of those games (if not all of them) back in the day were puzzle games. They don't exactly require sophisticated specs.
As for possible cross-gen Nintendo games...
-Mario Kart 9: This is a no-brainer. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has brought the series to financial heights and a level of content never seen until now. With how many Switch players are out there, making 9 a cross-gen game to get it to as many Nintendo players as possible seems like a great financial boost.
-Metroid Prime 4: Prime 4 has been in development for a long-time. It's been designed with the Switch in mind, but there's no reason it can't be cross-gen.
-2D Mario
-Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD
-Rhythm Heaven
-F-Zero GX HD
-Star Fox
-Donkey Kong

I don't mind not having Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on the next system because I already have them on Wii U, but as for the rest of the games listed here?

Too much money on the table to not do cross-gen probably. Even Sony/MS could not turn it down.

I think they might make Mario Kart Next and next Mario 3D platformer Switch 2 only because you need to drive adoption and Nintendo fans are stubborn sometimes about buying new hardware (it isn't as clear cut as Sony saying "here's Playstation ... 2/3/4/5, now buy it" and people just do it regardless of where the library is at, Nintendo fans are always like "I'm not buying until XYZ reqirement is met", which makes life a lot harder, especially with no new Zelda day 1). 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 11 May 2023