By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dune: Part 2 Trailer

pikashoe said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

The one in the Lynch version are truer to the text, as they were completely blue (as in, a uniform blue color, no visible retina and the like) in the novels. it looked distracting in the Lynch version because that's what they were in the books, too.

Neither version is like the books. In the books the eyes are described as almost black in colour due to how dark of a blue they are. The lynch version they look like they are literally glowing which is not like the book at all.

True, but that was probably the tradeoff of the technology at the time, hence why I'm disappointed that with modern technology they couldn't get any closer to what was described in the books.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
pikashoe said:

Neither version is like the books. In the books the eyes are described as almost black in colour due to how dark of a blue they are. The lynch version they look like they are literally glowing which is not like the book at all.

True, but that was probably the tradeoff of the technology at the time, hence why I'm disappointed that with modern technology they couldn't get any closer to what was described in the books.

I imagine the reason for that is that a very dark blue would make it nearly impossible to see any details in the eye, going by examples I've seen online using almost black eyes take a lot of emotion out of the eyes. Overall I think the tradeoff works for the new films.

pikashoe said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I imagine the reason for that is that a very dark blue would make it nearly impossible to see any details in the eye, going by examples I've seen online using almost black eyes take a lot of emotion out of the eyes. Overall I think the tradeoff works for the new films.

I think it was a similar reason that made the producers of Game of Thrones back away from giving Daenerys and Viserys purples eyes like they are supposed to have in the books.

---------------------

OT: I've seen Dune Part two twice now and loved it both times. It's such a great movie, with powerful scenes and the 165 minutes runtime goes by so fast. I do hope we get Dune Messiah because I want to know how the Holy War unfolds. 

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
pikashoe said:

I think it was a similar reason that made the producers of Game of Thrones back away from giving Daenerys and Viserys purples eyes like they are supposed to have in the books.

Weren't they wearing purple contacts in season 1 (or at least part of it), but Emilia Clarke found them uncomfortable, so they removed them for rest of the show?

TruckOSaurus said:
pikashoe said:

---------------------

OT: I've seen Dune Part two twice now and loved it both times. It's such a great movie, with powerful scenes and the 165 minutes runtime goes by so fast. I do hope we get Dune Messiah because I want to know how the Holy War unfolds. 

Never read the book? You’re not prepared for what will happens 😂

Around the Network

Herbert's Dune series are my absolute favorite books.
I'm one of the "movie is never as good as book/comic" people.
I'm not a fan of Villeneuve. I kind of wish the Blade Runner sequel didn't exist; not that it is particularly bad movie in itself, but it diminishes the masterpiece original.

So, I don't like this Dune. I prefer the TV series, even if that was bit flat. I may even prefer the Lynch Dune, despite having hated it for years because while it goes horribly wrong in few points, it also has awesomely right some things like casting.

Here's what I wrote when I saw the first part and I doubt the second will change my mind:

"The big fault in 2021 Dune is that characters have been made normal ordinary humans, just in extraordinary conditions.
For me one of the core concepts of Dune is that it's a study about extreme capabilities of human beings, in numerous ways of mind and body. These characters should like Sherlock Holmes or Batman or the Jedi, almost superhuman, trained (and bred) in ways we can only imagine in scifi. Renaissance men (and women) and the peak of it all the main character - who instead is a whiny teen. And his mother, one of strongest and most capable characters I've read (and I say characters, not just female characters), is even worse, an insecure broken hysteric.
What is a dialogue heavy book has in general had its characters sacrificed to Villeneuve's pastel visuals that linger on or extended action sequences."

Last edited by Kaunisto - on 29 March 2024

I just finished reading Dune.

Then I saw Dune Part One on Max.

Then I saw Dune Part Two in IMAX the next day.

I am all Duned out for the moment.

Mini reviews of each:

Dune (Book) - I don't read much sci-fi. This was pretty neat. Great world building. Loads of interesting ideas. Some interesting philosophical underpinnings. The prose was not particularly smooth, clear, or eloquent. Some characters and plotlines left a bad taste in my mouth. Probably too long.

Dune Part One - Really well done and established the world onscreen in a way that was respectful to the source material and approachable by the mainstream. I wish i saw this in a theater. Oscar Isaac is great as Leto.

Dune Part Two - Great theatrical experience. Made some smart changes from the book. Pretty brutal in its violence.

I will read Dune Messiah once the movie is announced or completes production. Thankfully Messiah seems to be shorter and from what I understand is the only other essential read in the saga. I will not read any more Dune books after that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

I just finished reading Dune.

Then I saw Dune Part One on Max.

Then I saw Dune Part Two in IMAX the next day.

I am all Duned out for the moment.

Mini reviews of each:

Dune (Book) - I don't read much sci-fi. This was pretty neat. Great world building. Loads of interesting ideas. Some interesting philosophical underpinnings. The prose was not particularly smooth, clear, or eloquent. Some characters and plotlines left a bad taste in my mouth. Probably too long.

Dune Part One - Really well done and established the world onscreen in a way that was respectful to the source material and approachable by the mainstream. I wish i saw this in a theater. Oscar Isaac is great as Leto.

Dune Part Two - Great theatrical experience. Made some smart changes from the book. Pretty brutal in its violence.

I will read Dune Messiah once the movie is announced or completes production. Thankfully Messiah seems to be shorter and from what I understand is the only other essential read in the saga. I will not read any more Dune books after that one.

I'd consider children of dune to be pretty essential 

I do really hope there are more films cos I really want to see more, especially with how Part 2 plays out and ends.
Part 2 has been a hit at the box office, bringing in $582 million and counting, which is a promising sign as far as Part 3 coming to fruition.

Kaunisto said:

Herbert's Dune series are my absolute favorite books.
I'm one of the "movie is never as good as book/comic" people.
I'm not a fan of Villeneuve. I kind of wish the Blade Runner sequel didn't exit; not that it is particularly bad movie in itself, but it diminishes the masterpiece original.

So, I don't like this Dune. I prefer the TV series, even if that was bit flat. I may even prefer the Lynch Dune, despite having hated it for years because while it goes horribly wrong in few points, it also has awesomely right some things like casting.

Here's what I wrote when I saw the first part and I doubt the second will change my mind:

"The big fault in 2021 Dune is that characters have been made normal ordinary humans, just in extraordinary conditions.
For me one of the core concepts of Dune is that it's a study about extreme capabilities of human beings, in numerous ways of mind and body. These characters should like Sherlock Holmes or Batman or the Jedi, almost superhuman, trained (and bred) in ways we can only imagine in scifi. Renaissance men (and women) and the peak of it all the main character - who instead is a whiny teen. And his mother, one of strongest and most capable characters I've read (and I say characters, not just female characters), is even worse, an insecure broken hysteric.
What is a dialogue heavy book has in general had its characters sacrificed to Villeneuve's pastel visuals that linger on or extended action sequences."

@bolded

Yeah, don't we all? Even Ridley Scott regrets his decision to let it pass, due to scheduling conflict with Alien: Covenant - not that I think he would do anywhere as good of a job as on the first one, especially seeing how much he became less of a great director than he once was, but I still think he would make a much better film than Villeneuve (not that anyone really asked for Blade Runner sequel).

I see Villeneuve as "no cojones" guy - I liked Arrival because premise on which it was based on was good (and not for his directing skill/vision), but everything else I watched was just passable. As I said, not bad, but bland.