By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dune: Part 2 Trailer

HoloDust said:
Kaunisto said:

Herbert's Dune series are my absolute favorite books.
I'm one of the "movie is never as good as book/comic" people.
I'm not a fan of Villeneuve. I kind of wish the Blade Runner sequel didn't exit; not that it is particularly bad movie in itself, but it diminishes the masterpiece original.

So, I don't like this Dune. I prefer the TV series, even if that was bit flat. I may even prefer the Lynch Dune, despite having hated it for years because while it goes horribly wrong in few points, it also has awesomely right some things like casting.

Here's what I wrote when I saw the first part and I doubt the second will change my mind:

"The big fault in 2021 Dune is that characters have been made normal ordinary humans, just in extraordinary conditions.
For me one of the core concepts of Dune is that it's a study about extreme capabilities of human beings, in numerous ways of mind and body. These characters should like Sherlock Holmes or Batman or the Jedi, almost superhuman, trained (and bred) in ways we can only imagine in scifi. Renaissance men (and women) and the peak of it all the main character - who instead is a whiny teen. And his mother, one of strongest and most capable characters I've read (and I say characters, not just female characters), is even worse, an insecure broken hysteric.
What is a dialogue heavy book has in general had its characters sacrificed to Villeneuve's pastel visuals that linger on or extended action sequences."

@bolded

Yeah, don't we all? Even Ridley Scott regrets his decision to let it pass, due to scheduling conflict with Alien: Covenant - not that I think he would do anywhere as good of a job as on the first one, especially seeing how much he became less of a great director than he once was, but I still think he would make a much better film than Villeneuve (not that anyone really asked for Blade Runner sequel).

I see Villeneuve as "no cojones" guy - I liked Arrival because premise on which it was based on was good (and not for his directing skill/vision), but everything else I watched was just passable. As I said, not bad, but bland.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with a comment more on this site. 

Also for the bolded part. It's a massive peeve of mine when people act like there opinion is the norm when it very much is not. Bladerunner 2049 is well liked both critically and by audiences(the few that actually watched it)

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
HoloDust said:

@bolded

Yeah, don't we all? Even Ridley Scott regrets his decision to let it pass, due to scheduling conflict with Alien: Covenant - not that I think he would do anywhere as good of a job as on the first one, especially seeing how much he became less of a great director than he once was, but I still think he would make a much better film than Villeneuve (not that anyone really asked for Blade Runner sequel).

I see Villeneuve as "no cojones" guy - I liked Arrival because premise on which it was based on was good (and not for his directing skill/vision), but everything else I watched was just passable. As I said, not bad, but bland.

Also for the bolded part. It's a massive peeve of mine when people act like there opinion is the norm when it very much is not. Bladerunner 2049 is well liked both critically and by audiences(the few that actually watched it)

As the old adage goes about opinions and assholes...

Anyway, well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

pikashoe said:
Signalstar said:

I will read Dune Messiah once the movie is announced or completes production. Thankfully Messiah seems to be shorter and from what I understand is the only other essential read in the saga. I will not read any more Dune books after that one.

I'd consider children of dune to be pretty essential 

I think Messiah is a good point to quit. IMO Children is the worst book of the six, while Messiah might be my favorite of the whole series.

If you read Children, then I'd recommend also reading God Emperor, that's the next best point to finish (and the next best book after the first two). But then, if you've read four books, you might as well do all six... the last two are still better than Children, if not as good as the others.

Looks dope me and my fiancé liked the first one

HoloDust said:
pikashoe said:

You know what else those have in common? Some are more full of ____ than others...

Kaunisto said:
pikashoe said:

I'd consider children of dune to be pretty essential 

I think Messiah is a good point to quit. IMO Children is the worst book of the six, while Messiah might be my favorite of the whole series.

If you read Children, then I'd recommend also reading God Emperor, that's the next best point to finish (and the next best book after the first two). But then, if you've read four books, you might as well do all six... the last two are still better than Children, if not as good as the others.

Agreed. I stopped after Children, simply because I hated the latter half of that book so much, and apparently God Emperor is just more of Leto's incessant monologuing.

What started as a Sci-fi series with poignant bits of philosophy peppered in, just became a self-indulgent philosophy marathon with only a thin veil of sci-fi trying to hide it. But if you're that interested in philosophy, there's dozens of better authors to spend your time and money on.

I'd rather Villeneuve's Messiah adaption leave no lead-off into possible future movies and have a much more climactic and concrete ending. Since he's already changed the dynamic between Paul and Chani a fair bit, he may as well completely change the dynamic between Paul, Chani and Irulan in the next movie.

Around the Network

Personally, Villeneuve is one of my favourite directors working today, right up there with the likes of Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro, and Chris Nolan.

Of his works I have so far seen Dune Part 1 and 2, Sicario, Prisoners, Bladerunner 2049, and Arrival.
Prisoners and Sicario I thought were very good. The Dune films and Bladerunner I thought were amazing. Arrival is my favourite of his to date and is my Film of the Year for 2016, which is saying a lot as I am a hardcore Godzilla fan and that year saw the release of the first Japanese entry in the series in over a decade, Shin Godzilla.

Shaunodon said:
HoloDust said:

You know what else those have in common? Some are more full of ____ than others...

You know what's even more common? That everybody thinks theirs smells nicer than everyone else's.

I love the Dune lore and universe and have watched hundred of videos on Dune. Though I am very sad to report that I have not seen Dune Part 2 yet.

BiON!@