By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Super Mario Bros Movie The Game

If you combine the tremendous success of the Mario movie in theaters, the lack of a new 2D Mario since New Super Mario Bros Wii U and the desperate need for a fresh take on 2D Mario, I think making a 2D title with characters and locations from the movie is a no brainer.

Among the movie audience, I'm willing to bet there's a lot of them who don't have a Switch yet and a game tied to the movie could be the incentive they need to finally purchase one so you could expect a good hardware push from SMBMTG. Now Nintendo just needs to get over their hatred of 2D Mario and get to it.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

I figure it would not be that good marketing. Seeing in the box: "Mario, the Movie, the Game" is not as presentable as just any of the regular Mario games. Besides, I'm sure Mario games (and Switch in general) are selling like hotcakes thanks to the movie.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Nintendo is so lazy , we need the final Mario title on switch this year

Darwinianevolution said:

I figure it would not be that good marketing. Seeing in the box: "Mario, the Movie, the Game" is not as presentable as just any of the regular Mario games. Besides, I'm sure Mario games (and Switch in general) are selling like hotcakes thanks to the movie.

But it worked so well for the Street Fighter: The Movie The Game!!

I'm not actually suggestion Nintendo should call it that way, just that they should use the look and feel of the movie for their next 2D Mario.

Signature goes here!

They need to make a brand new Super mario bros 2D game.

Not another "New" Super Mario Bros.

This could be a 2D Mario game that they could make. A good way to introduce DK to the 2D mario world too (technically in Yoshi, Mario Party/Kart/Sports, and the movie - might as well put him in this as well).

Around the Network

Only if it stars Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as digitized sprites and plays like a non violent version of Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero and released only on the CDi.

Last edited by Leynos - on 02 May 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a video game adaptation of a film based on pre-existing video game IPs. Wreck-It Ralph hardly counts because that was a film with mostly original characters that then had video game tie-ins.
I'd rather Nintendo uses their development resources to make Odyssey 2, Sunshine 2, or a more unique 3D Mario.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I’d say let Nintendo EPD let their creative juices flow without any impact/influence from the movie. I didn’t see any thing innovative in the movie other than really great visuals that probably wouldn’t be possible on the next release anyway.

I am sort of surprised Nintendo hasn't taken advantage of this window to launch a Super Mario title. The mindshare for Mario is huge right now.

And I agree: Nintendo needs to embrace 2D Mario, not only for its mechanical merits but because it would make a huge splash on Switch -- especially if given the AAA treatment it deserves.

I'd let them do their thing instead. Feel like they'd be restrained to be going for something to similar to the movie.
Especially the designs, those I would not want to play with. They fit well in the medium of cinematography but they're not suited for the video game medium

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909