By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Super Mario Bros Movie The Game

I thought there was a Super Mario Maker 2 set of courses that are basically The Super Mario Bros. Movie The Game.

Around the Network

1)  I would love a new 2D Mario that capitalizes on the success of the movie.  Do I think we will actually get this?  No.

2)  I would also like a "New 2D Mario All Stars Collection" that simply bundles together the 2D Marios from the DS, Wii and 3DS into one cart.  This is something that Nintendo could actually throw together quickly and release this year to capitalize on the success of the movie.  Do I think we will get this though?  No.

Naturally, I agree with the suggestion that Switch should get its own 2D Mario game, preferably before the year 2023 is over. The title of this thread was an obvious reference to the Street Fighter nonsense, but everything else is self-explanatory.

But this is Nintendo and they've locked away SMB once again. There was a ridiculous amount of years that had passed between Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros., and now we are closing in on being exactly one decade after the release of New Super Luigi U, the expansion of New Super Mario Bros. U which was the most recent SMB game.

On one hand you would think that Nintendo honoring the legacy of SMB with a movie that is named after the main series of Mario games will obviously be followed by a new game, but on the other hand there's also a long history of Nintendo knowing what the audience loves, yet refusing to provide new content of that kind. Whenever Nintendo is in need of a mindshare boost, they go back to the wells of the 8-bit and 16-bit eras; this is what causes endless frustration. They know what the market loves, but they'd rather not do it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

I first sorta laughed this thread off but now that I sorta think about it ... what if Nintendo attempted to do a 2D Mario but with CG quality graphics?

It is basically what Rareware did with the DKC games on the SNES, the SNES could never run 3D models of that complexity, but they used SGI workstations to pre-render the graphics and then the SNES was just displaying them as pre-rendered sprites. Nintendo also used this technique on Yoshi's Story for the N64. 

This can work in 2D games because the camera is static and only in two dimensions. I mean imagine a 2D Mario game that looks like this (excuse the low resolution though):

Soundwave said:

I first sorta laughed this thread off but now that I sorta think about it ... what if Nintendo attempted to do a 2D Mario but with CG quality graphics?

It is basically what Rareware did with the DKC games on the SNES, the SNES could never run 3D models of that complexity, but they used SGI workstations to pre-render the graphics and then the SNES was just displaying them as pre-rendered sprites. Nintendo also used this technique on Yoshi's Story for the N64. 

This can work in 2D games because the camera is static and only in two dimensions. I mean imagine a 2D Mario game that looks like this (excuse the low resolution though):

That would look pretty awesome. ^^

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I'd love to see a return to pre-rendered backgrounds in some games. It gives many games 20-30 years ago a neat vibe and looked so good in the Resident Evil remake which came out in 2002 that I wanna see how absolutely stunning it could look today if done well.

Norion said:
Soundwave said:

I'd love to see a return to pre-rendered backgrounds in some games. It gives many games 20-30 years ago a neat vibe and looked so good in the Resident Evil remake which came out in 2002 that I wanna see how absolutely stunning it could look today if done well.

You might like the look of Factorio. ^^

I don't know why the versions of the characters in the game would have much more appeal than a regular Mario game.

Not that this would be a better idea, but I would like to see a game in this style based on the movie:

Yeah, but nowadays they look like they're made of plastic. XD