By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is unhappy with the state of the Xbox (should Spencer be substituted?)

The company Microsoft is said to be dissatisfied with the current state of its Xbox gaming platform. The lack of first-party titles and the PC version of Game Pass are likely to be responsible for this. In the long term, Microsoft could part with the console. In a podcast (via Insider Gaming), journalists Jeff Grubb and Mike Minotti discussed the Xbox and gave an assessment of the situation. Microsoft is upset with the current situation. Many people would already regret buying an Xbox. No first-party game was released for the console in the past year. This caused great displeasure among the players. And another fact: While the PlayStation 5 is selling more and more frequently in this country, not only the fans are dissatisfied with the Xbox. According to rumors and leaks, the company has therefore decided to invest in an intensified (dirty) campaign against competition in the form of Sony/Google. A strategy that Microsoft already pursued with the first Xbox. The Xbox is currently selling significantly worse than nintendo and sony consoles, worldwide.

what do you think about the topic? I'm looking forward to your opinion and factual discussions.

twisted voxel, https://winfuture.de/news,135819.html &comicbook.com/gaming/news/microsoft-unhappy-with-xbox-series

ps. my opinion: There have been a lot of empty promises in the last few years since xbox one. Do you think Spencer will keep his position?

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 26 April 2023

Around the Network

I'm unhappy too about the lack of games from Microsoft.

It almost feels like MS is the new EA - acquiring all these game companies just to do nothing with them, or at least make them worse than they have been.

And this has been true since the Rare acquisition, which released just one truly relevant game in 20 years.

haxxiy said:

I'm unhappy too about the lack of games from Microsoft.

It almost feels like MS is the new EA - acquiring all these game companies just to do nothing with them, or at least make them worse than they have been.

And this has been true since the Rare acquisition, which released just one truly relevant game in 20 years.

And yet people want the MS ABK acquisition to go ahead, when MS has such a track record of seemingly wasting their development studio's. I generally don't know how they produce so few games with so many studios, what are half of them working on?

They have been really lax when it comes to game releases. Spencer would promise every year the best year ever in Xbox and then nothing comes out for months at a time or even a full year. A lot of it where the quality was questionable.They buy all these studios 5 years ago and not much to show for it. He's good are being Mr. Nice Guy on camera and says the nice things in interviews. Then these studios keep canceling games or having some serious issues personnel-wise. He seems like a better PR guy than anything else.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Looking at the calendar year and how Redfall is getting controversial with it's only online approach while not getting as much attention.
It's sadly clear that the brand in the moment is living quite the similar to what the Xbone had for a while.

Like, one of the problem of the immediate future after the release of Starfield which could the break or make it moment for a while, what's coming next then ? They still have so many games to be shown and slated somewhere but have yet to.

And I do understand that maybe they don't feel any rush to share news but the reality of it, sales wise, shows a wavering distrust from the customers in the brand itself. They need make something concrete happen badly but will they ?

Historically wise, their "E3" showing will be prolly good again this year but will the promises there be fulfilled .... Hmmm doubtful.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

It's hard to gain marketshare in this industry unless the company you are chasing makes big mistakes, Sony doesn't give MS a whole lot to work with.

In that case, you have to play it like Sega did in the 16-bit wars and take the fight to the body of your opponent and be extremely aggressive. Marketing should be hostile towards them too.

MS is sitting back too much and relying on Game Pass to do everything. They should take the money they were going to sink into Activision and buy exclusives instead with it, games that will be out on the market soon.

"The company Microsoft is said to be dissatisfied with the current state of its Xbox gaming platform."

Source?  And please let it not be a mealy mouth PR puke from someone like Phil saying "we know we need to do better".  Like who at MS thinks the Xbox needs more nickel and diming? 

Whatever, this likely just here to be a civil hate train - civility politics, the gaming version.

BINARYGOD said:

"The company Microsoft is said to be dissatisfied with the current state of its Xbox gaming platform."

Source?  And please let it not be a mealy mouth PR puke from someone like Phil saying "we know we need to do better".  Like who at MS thinks the Xbox needs more nickel and diming? 

Whatever, this likely just here to be a civil hate train - civility politics, the gaming version.

It traces back to Jeff Grubb

https://twistedvoxel.com/hi-fi-rush-failed-sales-microsoft-unhappy-state-xbox/

Speaking during the latest episode of Game Mess Decides, Jeff Grubb, who is known for his game industry insight, revealed that Hi-Fi Rush couldn’t meet sales expectations, and that Microsoft is unhappy with the current state of Xbox.

It's not far fetched to think Microsoft might be unhappy with the state of XBox. Gamepass has missed projected targets for years, is lowering game sales revenue, and the continued fumbling with game releases all start to add up. This deal is to fix all that, but now seems to be stuck in limbo for another year. Meanwhile PS5 has solved its supply issues and xbox sales are falling further behind.

I don't think Microsoft's goal with Xbox nowadays is console hardware market share. The hardware side of Xbox seems almost ancillary now.

On the one hand I find that disappointing, as someone who enjoyed the fierce competition of the PS360 era and also enjoys geeky sales stuff like looking at market share graphs, but on the other hand it saves me having to fork out for new hardware when I can buy all of the games I want on PC.

Last edited by Machina - on 26 April 2023

Soundwave said:

It's hard to gain marketshare in this industry unless the company you are chasing makes big mistakes, Sony doesn't give MS a whole lot to work with.

In that case, you have to play it like Sega did in the 16-bit wars and take the fight to the body of your opponent and be extremely aggressive. Marketing should be hostile towards them too.

MS is sitting back too much and relying on Game Pass to do everything. They should take the money they were going to sink into Activision and buy exclusives instead with it, games that will be out on the market soon.

Looking back on history, Sony just reminds me of that one guy in class that literally sits back and waits for others to slip up, then doesn't do the bad things those people in class did to avoid making the same mistakes.

Look at what Xbox did a gen and a half ago, and all Sony had to do was not do what MS did, and they even capitalised on MS's mistakes on top of it, which let them sail smoothly since.

MS on the other hand has had two uphill battles, their console rep was tarnished to hell with that reveal, then the following yrs of "no games" (remember when Sony had that issues and became a meme itself?), and topping it all off with the umpteenth time of "We hear you PC gamers and we care" promise of them returning to PC (Which tbf, they did execute properly this time, instead of dropping PC, if Xbox sales ever picked up).

Sony doesn't really have the kind of issues MS has to deal with, which is why I believe Sony has it better. They didn't really have to bother much with appealing to 2 different platforms, two different sets of customers, as well as having to appeal to a regional market that wasn't really interested with them to begin with (Japan/rest of Asia).

Apart from that, they really do need to get their collective shit together, and Spencer I think has got to go, since he's become more of an image/PR guy quickly over time. MS needs to actually get people who are willing to give these studios they buy, some space, instead of "will this idea print us money?" after 3 yrs into each dev cycle, then cancelling the IP when it turns out to not be a live service game that's designed to milk money over periods of time. 

They actually had something when they tried working with kamiya, but then they wrestled control, which is usually something you do not do with a studio you partner with, since that also means you dislike giving said studio autonomy to make something that could turn out good.

At this rate though, I don't see MS ever gaining good marketshare back. Mindshare is also another stupidly hard battle, and Xbox still hasn't managed to shake off the now ancient "dudebro" console vibe, or the new "gamepass rentabox" (Tbf, everyone is betting on GP, and it really is just you renting games, so the name sticks in a fitting, if not bad way).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"