By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Metroid Prime Remastered approach vs the Resident Evil 4 Remake approach

Vodacixi said:
Chrkeller said:

Only complaint I have with Prime, always have, is the artifacts can be (too) easy to miss.

I never understood this. They literally tell you the exact room where they are if you scan the statues in the Chozo Temple. 

Mostly because I always forget about the artifacts and get upgrade focused.  

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

In the case of games I love, I'm mixed on full reimaginings as there's the risk that the changes won't always be for the better. It's a much riskier proposition that can easily go wrong.
RE4 is my favourite game of all time so I will definitely play the remake, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about so much being changed as the original is for me an almost perfect game. I feel like I may be too attached to the 2005 version to appreciate the 2023 one.
On the other hand, back in the 7th gen, I did really like the Goldeneye 007 remake, since in my opinion the original didn't age well, and the same for the 2012 Wiimake of Fatal Frame 2.

Having just finished Prime Remastered, I appreciated its authenticity and how faithful it was to the amazing original. Though the addition of a modern save system wouldn't have gone amiss, on the whole I'm glad they didn't mess with the core experience, as I feel like it could easily have been ruined if they modernized it too much.

I doubt you’ll enjoy it as much obviously but RE4R is fantastic and I would just go into it knowing they’re going for a different vibe even if its not the same

I'm more so surprised that people are still calling FF-VII an actual remake while it more so has more in common with a reimagining(or a baffling sequel in this case).

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Graphics aren't a huge deal to me, so I'm not too excited over pure visual upgrades (or visual upgrades with minor QOL upgrades). Generally, I think if they do a remake it should add something or do something different. So, prefer the RE4 remake to MP remake.

RE4R is closer to FF7R than Metroid. I would say Bluepoint is pretty much the best at remaking games which are very true to the original gameplay.

Whereas Capcom is king at remaking and modernisering old games. Though I would say FF7R still takes the cake for best modernised remake. The resi remakes are great though and Capcom could also remake the Devil May Cry games,to the level of DMC5.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

RE4r , RE2r and FF7r are some of the best games ever made and it proves that remakes are always the best, but remasters are some time masterpieces like the RE1 remaster for GameCube which is still the best RE game to date and probably will always be

REmake 4 is better than Metroid Prime, and I say this as someone who's had Prime as their favorite game for years. REmake 4 is just ridiculously good.

Having played more of RE4make, it's probably one of the best reboots, remakes, or rewhatevers. They've changed just enough so that it feels fresh, while maintaining the original feel. And even though I think that ultimately the original will be my preference, this is kind of like getting to play one of my favorite games for the first time again, and that's pretty cool. 

I feel like I didn't word this one effectively; my bad.
What I meant was less "which is the better game" but rather "which do you think is the better approach to reviving a classic game, a complete design a la RE4R, or a graphical rebuild that keeps the design intact a la Prime Remastered".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 April 2023

I fall into the “room for both” category.

A good remaster maintains the gameplay and art style with some QOL updates - a bad remaster changes core mechanics (similar to how Dawn of Souls replaced the unique Final Fantasy MP system with a boring ass generic mp system, it not only ruined a lot of the flavour of the game, but broke the balance. On top of that, Dawn of Souls changed the art style.

Remakes are more like an adaptation of an old game into a new game, sometimes even changing the genre entirely, but maintaining story and characters, locations and such. I think there’s a big place for this as well. These can be done right and wrong. I don’t think there’s a wrong way to do this kind, but I find that if they’re too close to the source material, I’d probably prefer a remaster than a game that feels like a perversion of the original experience: for example, Sword of Mana as a remake of Mystic Quest - it followed the same structure, but made bigger maps and a bigger story, but in the end it felt extremely bloated—the original was sharper and more effective. Super Castlevania though, now that was a fantastic remake of the first game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.