By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - JAPAN Consoles Showdown: 2023 |Completed|

This an odd and funny thread =p

I don't see PS5 having a big increase for Holiday to keep ahead of DS even with the new model.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 09 November 2023

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Numbers have been updated with WEEK 46 from Famitsu.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Numbers have been updated with WEEK 47 from Famitsu.

yes why is this even a question

BiON!@ 

Numbers have been updated with WEEK 48 from Famitsu.

Around the Network

It's quite something the Switch is a bit over 500k ahead this far in but is gonna end up close to the DS's final total by the end and might even fall behind a little.

Norion said:

It's quite something the Switch is a bit over 500k ahead this far in but is gonna end up close to the DS's final total by the end and might even fall behind a little.

The holiday sales for Japan start at the beginning of December, today. Japan doesn't participate in Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Though seeing the sales after Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a bit disappointing. I think Nintendo got some early holiday shoppers to purchase during the Spring and Summer, with Super Mario Bros. Movie and Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

I think Nintendo can sell 1 million consoles this year, but it will be a challenge. As of November, Nintendo has sold 309,638 units according to VGChartz estimates. So all Nintendo needs to sell in December is 690,362 units. Selling double what they do in a month should be easy, especially the holiday season.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
Norion said:

The holiday sales for Japan start at the beginning of December, today. Japan doesn't participate in Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Though seeing the sales after Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a bit disappointing. I think Nintendo got some early holiday shoppers to purchase during the Spring and Summer, with Super Mario Bros. Movie and Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

I think Nintendo can sell 1 million consoles this year, but it will be a challenge. As of November, Nintendo has sold 309,638 units according to VGChartz estimates. So all Nintendo needs to sell in December is 690,362 units. Selling double what they do in a month should be easy, especially the holiday season.

I know, I'm saying the Switch will sell way worse in December in Japan than the DS did that year. It should be around 4.2m by the end of December.

Norion said:
Shtinamin_ said:

I know, I'm saying the Switch will sell way worse in December in Japan than the DS did that year. It should be around 4.2m by the end of December.

May I ask why you think so?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
Norion said:

May I ask why you think so?

Look at what it sold last holiday season in Japan and consider how it'll sell less than that this time. It's not gonna get any weeks anywhere close to the 250k ones the DS did.