By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Gameplay Presentation 3/28 7am PT

Tagged games:

I’m going to say it now. The marketing for this game has been a masterclass. The social media space has been downplaying this game and bringing expectations low. Nintendo just pulled a wow moment with only 30 days until the console arrives and 45 days until the game releases. Not enough time to burnout on hype. It was a difficult path to navigate, particularly with the pandemic obviously slowing down development, but I don’t think they could have done this better.

I know many will disagree, but with so many aspects of the fanbase to appease, they had to thread the needle between silence and information overload.

I am beyond hyped, and I was already freaking hyped for this game. What a way to start out the 7th year of the Switch.

Around the Network
tsogud said:
JWeinCom said:

The Legend of Zelda: Nuts and Bolts

You are vastly vastly underestimating the amount of work that would take. The only way that would be remotely feasible is if they greatly restricted which items can fuse. 

It looks jank and unpolished. I know it'd take work, how much work is up for debate since none of us here are devs on the game and I don't play what if. But considering the fact that it's built of off BoTW (borrowing so many assets) and had damn near 5 years of dev time, it's def a valid criticism.

Not only do you not know what lazy means but also jank or unpolished. Since it's literally none of those. You're really showing your ignorance on game development and what it takes to make them. The kinda work is being asked. Did you know one of the most difficult things to do is just walking up stairs? The animation and collision detection has to be so precise. Almost every game you play doesn't do it. Feet clip through and walk up a larger hitbox in most games, a rare exception is Judgment. Nintendo creates a unique mechanic no one does and you never seen before and your first reaction is " pfft this is lazy" get a clue.

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 March 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
tsogud said:

It looks jank and unpolished. I know it'd take work, how much work is up for debate since none of us here are devs on the game and I don't play what if. But considering the fact that it's built of off BoTW (borrowing so many assets) and had damn near 5 years of dev time, it's def a valid criticism.

Not only do you not know what lazy means but also jank or unpolished. Since it's literally none of those. You're really showing your ignorance on game development and what it takes to make them. The kinda work is being asked. Did you know one of the most difficult things to do is just walking up stairs? The animation and collision detection has to be so precise. Almost every game you play doesn't do it. Feet clip through and walk up a larger hitbox in most games, a rare exception is Judgment. Nintendo creates a unique mechanic no one does and you never seen before and your first reaction is " pfft this is lazy" get a clue.

You win!

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 31 March 2023

The combine mechanic 1. expands on the freedom and experimentation of the first game in an unexpected but delightful way and 2. seems to fix the issue with the durability system which was one of the more criticized aspects of BOTW. Now it will be possible to make any weapon last for significantly longer before breaking.

It doesn't matter if they didn't show a dungeon, the return of lens of truth, a big boss. May 12 we will see a flood of GOTY.

Around the Network

While BOTW is a masterpiece and it's uncertain as yet whether TOTK can measure up to the sheer sense of wonder, discovery, and overall impact of it, I feel like this is gonna be one of those sequels where it's hard to go back after getting used to the Fuse mechanic.

Thread broke from CaptainExplosion.

S.Peelman said:

Thread broke from CaptainExplosion.

It was showing okay for me but I still edited CaptainExplosion's post.

Signature goes here!

If people made working airships, catapults, and circuits in BOTW, they're gonna be making freaking fighter planes in TOTK.
Pursuing this angle was a very smart move, the game's going to get massive hype with the kind of viral videos going around about the crazy things you can do in it.

The Fuse system seems more intuitive than most crafting systems in other games, much as BOTW took the tropes of modern open world games and presented their own organic and approachable take on it.
It also has the potential to make both the combat, both in terms of player and enemy capabilities, massively more varied due to the sheer amount of possibilities.

Can't help but wonder if we're about to be in a Super Mario Galaxy 2 situation where at first glance the game looks, on a fundamental level, more of the same type of content with some new mechanics but when all's said and done the sequel greatly outshines the original. BotW isn't a an easy game to top but neither was Super Mario Galaxy yet here we are.