By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Gameplay Presentation 3/28 7am PT

Tagged games:

I for one can't wait to see what kind of stuff people are going to fuse. People are going to make buildings with this and use it like it's Minecraft for sure.

Around the Network

Not really impressed tbh

I wanted to ser more about the world or about the dugeons. Play exactly the same map with a few more abilities and a couple of small new areas sounds like something to do in a DLC, not in a brand new game.

Fusions did nothing for me, I will hardly spend much time using them. Teleporting trough ceilings is okay, QOL to reduce the time spend climbing I guess

Hopefully ther is something more substantial waiting

tsogud said:

Fuse ability just sticks two models together and doesn't even bother to change it's aesthetic. Looks lazy tbh, a mushroom glued onto a shield... Couldn't have just made the shield mushroom-like or made of fungi?

But you are literally just gluing stuff together...

Nintendo with the Switch:

JWeinCom said:

The Legend of Zelda: Nuts and Bolts

tsogud said:

Fuse ability just sticks two models together and doesn't even bother to change it's aesthetic. Looks lazy tbh, a mushroom glued onto a shield... Couldn't have just made the shield mushroom-like or made of fungi?

You are vastly vastly underestimating the amount of work that would take. The only way that would be remotely feasible is if they greatly restricted which items can fuse. 

It looks jank and unpolished. I know it'd take work, how much work is up for debate since none of us here are devs on the game and I don't play what if. But considering the fact that it's built of off BoTW (borrowing so many assets) and had damn near 5 years of dev time, it's def a valid criticism.

Unrelated but I really hope Nintendo has had separate team on a next-gen, slightly smaller scope (OOT scale) Zelda in the meantime.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
tsogud said:

It's a bit sad that after showing a mechanic with unlimited gameplay potential your mind can only go as far as "the fused objects don't have unique models". 

Very rude. Who said my mind only went to that? I thought it was cool when I first saw it and I'll def have fun with it, doesn't change the fact that it looks unpolished. Crazy how people can look at a product objectively and criticize an element of it they feel is subpar.

tsogud said:
JWeinCom said:

The Legend of Zelda: Nuts and Bolts

You are vastly vastly underestimating the amount of work that would take. The only way that would be remotely feasible is if they greatly restricted which items can fuse. 

It looks jank and unpolished. I know it'd take work, how much work is up for debate since none of us here are devs on the game and I don't play what if. But considering the fact that it's built of off BoTW (borrowing so many assets) and had damn near 5 years of dev time, it's def a valid criticism.

They would have to make several thousand different models; combinatorial mathematics tells us that this would require almost infinite work.

jonathanalis said:
tsogud said:

I think this way it communicate better to the player which items are fused. Imagine to remember thousand of variations a shield have to just know which one has the effect of which item. 

Item descriptions are a thing tho, you can also have icons to illustrate what effects the item currently holds.

I'm just disappointed to wait so long on a delayed game and then see something that, imo, looks jank. I'm sure I'll still have fun but it's such a weird decision.

Kynes said:
tsogud said:

They would have to make several thousand different models; combinatorial mathematics tells us that this would require almost infinite work.

Making a game is hard. They should pay people to make them for a living, oh wait.

We don't know how many items there are, like I said, you can't definitively say how much work it would require. An "infinite" amount of work is such an exaggeration. Simply putting a texture on the weapon would look better imo. It doesn't HAVE to be different models.

I wonder if you time "Recall" right, you can shoot back an object thrown by an enemy right into his face.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's plenty of new content not shown in this very short presentation so it's hard to evaluate if they should have spent hundreds of hours making different models for fused objects.

Signature goes here!