By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February NPD 2023 Thread + Predictions - NPD Renamed to Circana

I can only imagine how that conversation went:
EXEC1: “We’re changing our name to Circana!”
EXEC2: “I don’t disagree with that name!”
EXEC3: “A real paradigm shift! Brilliant!”
EXEC4: “Thinking outside the box!”
EXEC5: “That’s what she said.”
ALL: “HAHAHAHA”
EXEC1: “Excellent. Now let’s get it in the pipeline! I have a lot on my plate so I’d like to get Exec 2 and 3 to fire off some emails. The ball is in your court. Now let’s touch base after lunch, Exec 2, setup a meeting to discuss this meeting and another meeting about our meeting about meeting marketing.”
EXEC5: “Synergy!”

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

ps5 and series s are everywhere in my area.. only series x arent that many..

PS sold more than twice as many XB.

xgamerx said:

Yes specifically the X is in short supply this month.  Perhaps Microsoft wants to push the S model. 

CosmicSex said:
xgamerx said:

Yes specifically the X is in short supply this month.  Perhaps Microsoft wants to push the S model. 

Other possibilities is they are using more Xbox Series X for xCloud or are looking to do a die shrink from 7nm to 6nm or 5nm to help reduce costs. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
CosmicSex said:

Other possibilities is they are using more Xbox Series X for xCloud or are looking to do a die shrink from 7nm to 6nm or 5nm to help reduce costs. 

Could we be getting a Slim PS5 and Slim Series X?  Hmmm.

I wonder if the consoles are still being sold at a loss given the MASSIVE deflation in semiconductors recently. WE went from a shortage to a glut very quickly.

CosmicSex said:
trunkswd said:

Could we be getting a Slim PS5 and Slim Series X?  Hmmm.

That would be great to see. The PS4 Slim and Xbox One S did release three years after the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

xgamerx said:

same here in DK, I just checked a few online shops where they list stock.
With PS5 you'll see "50+" of this and that model, with the Xbox Series S, it ll be "100+ 's" and with the Xbox Series X, they dont even list the amount, just that its currently in stock.

It seems like you can get a XSX here if you want, but its obv. they dont have as many stockpiled.
I think the PS5 models move alot more numbers (here), so they just never reach that many.

also:
"NPD Renamed to Circana"

Just why? lmao. Spend forever to build up a name for it, which then becomes what people associate with these numbers.
Then just tear it all down. When theres already alot of other sources (not trusted like NPD).... their name change is gonna kill their trust, with the avg. joe. However I guess if they dont care about that at all, and only the professionals that buy their data, no harm done?
Still I dislike the new name.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 05 April 2023

xgamerx said:

I wonder if the consoles are still being sold at a loss given the MASSIVE deflation in semiconductors recently. WE went from a shortage to a glut very quickly.

Sony announced in August 2021 that the PS5 no longer sold at a loss, and in the twenty months since that announcement there have been a number of revisions  with the main cost saving points being a die shrink and a couple of heatsink changes so that the heatsink is now about a third the size of the original with a fair  amount of copper being replaced by aluminium, so it most certainly now sold at a profit , about the semi conductor glut any movement I assume would be predicated on their existing contracts the nm range of that extra  supply and how much extra available capacity there is to utilise that supply increase. on the Xbox side unfortunately I haven't heard any info on the Series X/S so I can't help you there.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot