By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2023 (20 Feb - 26 Feb)

Pretty decent sales for Like a Dragon and Octopath. Considering around half of PS5 ssales are digital, this week wasn't bad software wise. Hogwarts probably also sold a few thousand units.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Kirby's Return to Dream Land is one of my favorite Kirby games along with Super Star and the original Dream Land for NES. Good to see it doing well!

Hogwarts Legacy still showing legs.

PS5 seems like it will be competition in Japan after all, which is only good for the market. Any company needs that, and i think Nintendo laid back a little lately.

xMetroid said:

and i think Nintendo laid back a little lately.

How ? They keep releasing gamed, 3rd 1st party game since January and we're only early March

At this rate PS5 will sell 4m+ this year in Japan and that would also outsell the Switch which is insane . We never thought PS5 could outsell the Switch until maybe Switch's successor launch

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
xMetroid said:

and i think Nintendo laid back a little lately.

How ? They keep releasing gamed, 3rd 1st party game since January and we're only early March

Their pricing for the Switch... how the hell does a Switch V2 is the same price as a Xbox series S... or even the Series S has been found more affordable. Same thing for their games. 6 Year old games shouldn't still be full price. And some of those old games barely sell anymore. I would gladly pick MM2 if it wasn't 80 bucks in Canada.

Zippy6 said:
Kyuu said:

What are Playstation hardware's best months in Japan since the PS3? Is it safe to say this is their best non-December? How high does this rank among all months including December?

According to the VGChartz hardware tool there are only 3 months on record for PS3/PS4 that beat this month for PS5.

PS4 Launch month in Japan, PS4 in December 2016 the year PS4 Slim and Pro launched and PS3 in December 2009 the year PS3 Slim launched.

This February beats every other month for PS3/PS4 including all other holiday months.

PS3
Launch Month = 306,609 (December 2006)
Best February = 108,253 (February 2010)
Best Non-Holiday Month = 345,136 (September 2009) (PS3 Slim Launched 3rd September 2009 in Japan)
Best Month = 622,087 (December 2009)

PS4
Launch Month = 378,509 (February 2014)
Best February (Non-Launch) = 256,864 (February 2018)
Best Non-Holiday Month = 326,318 (January 2018)
Best Month = 533,518 (December 2016)

PS5
Launch Month = 203,213 (November 2020)
Best February = 366,982 (February 2023)
Best Non-Holiday Month = 366,982 (February 2023)
Best Month = 366,982 (February 2023)

So yeah, this is the most a PlayStation console has sold in one month in Japan since December 2016.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Forgot to exclude launch but it looks like it wasn't far behind PS4's launch month! Would be nice if the baseline settles at around 40k after demand is met.

Switch 2 is around the corner though, I reckon that may deal a heavy blow on any serious PS5 progress in Japan, especially if it gets Dragon Quest 12 and the next Monster Hunter on day 1. I'm of the opinion that Sony should have prioritized Japan much earlier at the cost of slightly lower western sales, but I guess it wouldn't have made much of a difference, thanks to the pandemic slowing everything down.

This is quite obvious, that Kirby RoT Deluxe will become the best selling version against its Wii counterpart, thanks to the higher userbase and the fact Kirby has never been this popular in a while there. Will also be the top selling game of the year in Japan for a while too.

I'm actually surprised Octopath Traveler II managed to get as high as it did since it kinda disappointed on the pre-orders side. Still, this is technically slightly under what the original did on launch and it wasn't multiplat as well. As expected, the Switch version dwarfed the PS5 version too.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Kirby RoT Deluxe

Return to Dreamland short is RtD.

Kakadu18 said:
Mar1217 said:

Kirby RoT Deluxe

Return to Dreamland short is RtD.

Return to Teamland