By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

Making a Overwatch clone wasnt a good idea especially when Overwatch 2 suffered as much.

8 years is such a waste, could have used those resources and time for another type of game.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 25 August 2024

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
EricHiggin said:

Much harder said than done, but imagine if SIE is able to figure out and ace the existing GAAS formula, or come up with a new working GAAS formula.

That's why. The rest is mostly just background noise.

If PS has it's constant banger single player (solo) games, as well as consistent enough banger GAAS (online multiplayer) games, then as hard as it is to compete with them already, it'll become next to impossible if they're able to achieve that.

That's just assuming exclusivity as well. Imagine if SNY GAAS games were bangers and made to be multiplatform.

I personally don't want Sony to spend time and money on GaaS, but what I want to know is what is so bad about Concord for it to be thrased this much.

I know a part will always be from console warriors and agenda filled people, but what I can personally see is an overwhelming hate because the game is being called woke.

But is there something wrong with the game itself?

I'm completely sure it lacks, by a lot, the kind of quality from a Naughty Dog game, but to this day there are a LOT of people that hate TLoU2 while having no clue about the game at all.

I'm sure they are not missing a masterpiece like they are with TLoU2 but if being a masterpiece is what it takes for it to even survive this kind of hate campaing if Sony makes a game there is one or more characters that don't fit on this people agenda... yikes!

And they think they are fighting "the woke culture"... while being the whiniest pos that involve their politics distorted view in everything, even if not politic oriented in the slightiest.

It's pretty hard to get a mostly neutral view about the quality of the game right now.

I'm the mostly the same. I'd like SIE to focus mostly on single player, but I'm not against them trying to make worthy GAAS games either, just as long as they don't lose their focus or change focus if a GAAS game hits big and takes off.

I haven't played the game myself because it never interested me, but from what I've seen, it's not so much the gameplay that's a problem, it's the fact that it feels kinda like a copycat and isn't very original, so why switch from something good or great, with a vibrant community that already exists? If you want to pull gamers away from something, you need to offer something clearly better, or more unique. It doesn't seem like PS was able to accomplish that here.

There is also the woke concern, which has become a much bigger issue than some may realize. A growing number of people are getting sick of having wokeness seemingly pushed into everything. There is a feeling that everything is heading to becoming super inclusive and diverse, because there is a legit push for that to some degree, and some people won't stand for it and won't risk letting it potentially get to what they would consider out of hand.

It's like when EA announced BFV in 2018 and talked about how it would be their most realistic and historically accurate game yet, but wasn't even close because of things like wokeness. In the trailer, the WWII commanding officer was a woman I believe, and she was a sniper with an amputated metal arm. One of the DICE team members even ended up saying something like they didn't care if it pushed some people away because his daughter liked it and that's all that mattered to him.

The problem there was they should've just made it clear they were making a very open and creative version of WWII, but the reason they didn't was because it wasn't just them being overly creative, there was an agenda being pushed and they tried to hide it. You of course then can't help but ask why? Why hide it if you don't think it's going to be a problem, and if it is going to be a problem, then why is it in the game, or why aren't you simply willing to live with whatever the reaction is and however the sales pan out?

TLOU2 in 2020 was another big blowup of this movement voicing it's opinion, and while the game didn't bomb, it certainly went through stormy waters for quite some time, and didn't reach anywhere near where it should have in terms of sales. Now TLOU2 wasn't a new franchise, came from a hit franchise, and wasn't taking a stab at a new genre, which helped it from suffering too much, otherwise it would've likely suffered more than it did.

Those who are against woke are getting to the point now where they will fight hard against it and let something totally worthy suffer if not fail, just because they deem it to be too influenced by wokeness. 

The fact of the matter is that it's up to the developers and publishers to market and sell the game no matter what based on their vision. If it sells it sells and if it flops it flops. Do you want to play it safe and make it easier for people to accept or do you want to take risks? Do you want to try and fool people or be totally up front with them? It's a free market where people voice their opinion with their wallets and you either accept it or you don't.

EricHiggin said:
BraLoD said:

I personally don't want Sony to spend time and money on GaaS, but what I want to know is what is so bad about Concord for it to be thrased this much.

I know a part will always be from console warriors and agenda filled people, but what I can personally see is an overwhelming hate because the game is being called woke.

But is there something wrong with the game itself?

I'm completely sure it lacks, by a lot, the kind of quality from a Naughty Dog game, but to this day there are a LOT of people that hate TLoU2 while having no clue about the game at all.

I'm sure they are not missing a masterpiece like they are with TLoU2 but if being a masterpiece is what it takes for it to even survive this kind of hate campaing if Sony makes a game there is one or more characters that don't fit on this people agenda... yikes!

And they think they are fighting "the woke culture"... while being the whiniest pos that involve their politics distorted view in everything, even if not politic oriented in the slightiest.

It's pretty hard to get a mostly neutral view about the quality of the game right now.

I'm the mostly the same. I'd like SIE to focus mostly on single player, but I'm not against them trying to make worthy GAAS games either, just as long as they don't lose their focus or change focus if a GAAS game hits big and takes off.

I haven't played the game myself because it never interested me, but from what I've seen, it's not so much the gameplay that's a problem, it's the fact that it feels kinda like a copycat and isn't very original, so why switch from something good or great, with a vibrant community that already exists? If you want to pull gamers away from something, you need to offer something clearly better, or more unique. It doesn't seem like PS was able to accomplish that here.

There is also the woke concern, which has become a much bigger issue than some may realize. A growing number of people are getting sick of having wokeness seemingly pushed into everything. There is a feeling that everything is heading to becoming super inclusive and diverse, because there is a legit push for that to some degree, and some people won't stand for it and won't risk letting it potentially get to what they would consider out of hand.

It's like when EA announced BFV in 2018 and talked about how it would be their most realistic and historically accurate game yet, but wasn't even close because of things like wokeness. In the trailer, the WWII commanding officer was a woman I believe, and she was a sniper with an amputated metal arm. One of the DICE team members even ended up saying something like they didn't care if it pushed some people away because his daughter liked it and that's all that mattered to him.

The problem there was they should've just made it clear they were making a very open and creative version of WWII, but the reason they didn't was because it wasn't just them being overly creative, there was an agenda being pushed and they tried to hide it. You of course then can't help but ask why? Why hide it if you don't think it's going to be a problem, and if it is going to be a problem, then why is it in the game, or why aren't you simply willing to live with whatever the reaction is and however the sales pan out?

TLOU2 in 2020 was another big blowup of this movement voicing it's opinion, and while the game didn't bomb, it certainly went through stormy waters for quite some time, and didn't reach anywhere near where it should have in terms of sales. Now TLOU2 wasn't a new franchise, came from a hit franchise, and wasn't taking a stab at a new genre, which helped it from suffering too much, otherwise it would've likely suffered more than it did.

Those who are against woke are getting to the point now where they will fight hard against it and let something totally worthy suffer if not fail, just because they deem it to be too influenced by wokeness. 

The fact of the matter is that it's up to the developers and publishers to market and sell the game no matter what based on their vision. If it sells it sells and if it flops it flops. Do you want to play it safe and make it easier for people to accept or do you want to take risks? Do you want to try and fool people or be totally up front with them? It's a free market where people voice their opinion with their wallets and you either accept it or you don't.

Every game should go woke...also known as just being normal mix of America and Europe's diversity and sexual orientations and force all those losers out of the video game industry.  If they want to cry woke, fine every game will be woke and they can find a new hobby.

EricHiggin said:

What does "woke" mean? 

Racists who are upset that games include black people, need to get over themselves. A lot of the world is black people. 

Sexists who are upset that games include women, also need to get over themselves. Half of the world is women. 

Playing Heavy Rain and Detroit back to back (even tho I played the PS4 version of HR) really shows the generational leap in graphics in 8yrs. Also I’m reminded just how much I liked Detroit.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network

It's sad where the Concord discourse online went towards. Video games are a creatively led industry that makes use of all different kinds of viewpoints regardless of sexual orientation, ethnicity/race, or religion. All should be welcomed and include everyone's input. Whether a game is good or not is a different story and people will vote with their wallets. The consensus on Concord is that the game is uninspired and has a poor business model for the genre it's trying to crack into. With 8 years of development, I'll even throw in the possibility of some mismanagement. How the characters look is personal preference, I personally don't care for the characters as nobody particularly sticks out compared to Overwatch or even Valve's upcoming Deadlock, but it's what the developer's vision for them was and we as gamers should respect that.

Don't like it? Move on. Which is what the gaming community overall is doing. There are literally thousands of other games to play and enjoy, but many seem to be digging into the things that doesn't decide on whether a game is good or not. This lowkey makes me miss 20+ years ago when there were no social media echo chambers and video games were considered a geeky thing to be into lol. But I am grateful at how far video games have come and matured since then.

I have officially finished Driveclub's base game - got the legendary trophy and all.

Took me 97 hours.

Started on the DLC expansions - so far finished like 6 races in the first expansion.

BasilZero said:

I have officially finished Driveclub's base game - got the legendary trophy and all.

Took me 97 hours.

Started on the DLC expansions - so far finished like 6 races in the first expansion.

All the DLC follows the same structure but some of them are brutal. 

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

I feel like someone waiting in line at a stadium bathroom needs to pee really badly waiting for Gundam Breaker 4 to release. The closer you get to the front of the line the worse the need feels. 8 years isn't the longest I waited for a sequel to a game but it's long enough.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

BasilZero said:

Making a Overwatch clone wasnt a good idea especially when Overwatch 2 suffered as much.

8 years is such a waste, could have used those resources and time for another type of game.

They probably could've revived 2 IPs with those resources, at least if they weren't going to be heavily cinematic IPs. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima