By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Israel carried out strike that killed senior Hamas leader in Beirut, US official says

Israel carried out the strike Tuesday in southern Beirut that killed senior Hamas leader Saleh Al-Arouri, a US official told CNN. The Biden administration was not told about the operation in advance, the official added. Citing a senior Israeli official, Axios’ Barak Ravid reported earlier that the administration was informed “as the operation was happening.” 

Israeli government spokesperson Mark Regev said that Israel had "not taken responsibility" for the attack. During an interview with MSNBC, the senior adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had "seen the reports" about the attack.

Israeli national security minister responds to US rebuke of his comment on resettling Gazans

A far-right Israeli official has responded to the US State Department's rebuke to his comments that call for the resettlement of Gazans outside of the Gaza Strip

Very appreciative of the United States of America but with all due respect we are not just another star on the American flag," National Security Minister Ben Gvir said in a translated post on X, formerly Twitter, on Tuesday. He called the US Israel's "good friend." "But first of all we will do what is good for the State of Israel," the minister said, adding that the "emigration of hundreds of thousands from Gaza" will allow Israeli settlers to return and "live in security."  

He and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich made the suggestion earlier this week. Smotrich called for Palestinian residents to leave the Gaza strip, to make way for Israelis who could "make the desert bloom," according to Reuters.

Gvir expressed support for resettling Palestinians from the Gaza Strip abroad, declaring that the war presents an “opportunity to concentrate on encouraging the migration of the residents of Gaza” during a political meeting.

Earlier Tuesday, US State Department spokesperson Matt Miller said that “such statements do not reflect the policy of the Israeli government," denouncing them as "inflammatory and irresponsible."

Nice mess there. Definitely a rift starting to form between the USA and Israel.

Over 1 million people are now stuck in Rafah

The UN relief agency (OCHA) has released an update on the humanitarian situation in Palestine, noting that more than 1 million people are now in the Rafah Governorate in southern Gaza. OCHA said that heavy Israeli bombardments from “land, air and sea” continued across Gaza and that hostilities in Khan Younis and Deir el-Balah had added to Rafah becoming “extremely overcrowded”.

The IDF wants them to return to the North soon ish, Gaza city:

Around the Network

One question, wouldn't it be better to put all the stuff of the Israeli invasion of Gaza into it's own, separate thread? After all, this isn't just US politics. And especially now where things are slowly heating up for the elections in the US.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 January 2024

Bofferbrauer2 said:

One question, wouldn't it be better to put all the stuff of the Israeli invasion of Gaza into it's own, separate thread? After all, this isn't just US politics. And especially now where things are slowly heating up for the elections in the US.

I was also going to make the same statement that while what is happening in Israeli has US political interest, its not isolated only to the US and probably is the best time to open its own thread like Ryuu did with Ukraine.  As we start to move in the GOP primaries, there probably is going to be a shift towards those topics.

Machiavellian said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I was also going to make the same statement that while what is happening in Israeli has US political interest, its not isolated only to the US and probably is the best time to open its own thread like Ryuu did with Ukraine.  As we start to move in the GOP primaries, there probably is going to be a shift towards those topics.

Jumpin

Yeah I think Svenno requested one too, it's just a case of someone making the OP.

SvennoJ said:
LurkerJ said:

I have pointed out few times that the situation as it is, is definitely not what the majority of the people anywhere in the west want, but I would hard pressed to say our governments are not in full support of genocide, 3 months into the conflict, this is not a question anymore. Even statements like "passively complicit" are wrong. 

I don't know what it is exactly, greed, fear of the Muslim world or caught like a deer in headlights. Western governments have always been pro Israel and not immune to Hasbara either. Some might simply refuse to believe what's actually happening, politicians are just people after all and maybe even more easily influenced by propaganda and dogmatic thinking. Politics are the original echo chambers.

Governments are also full of old people, most set in their ways, rigid in their thinking. Most of the opposition voices come from the younger generations, more resistant to propaganda and disinformation, more used to the lies of the internet and far less prone to take government officials and major news outlets at their word. Which are just as complicit with their self censorship, selective coverage and pushing their own agendas.

The irony

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/israel-palestine-bbc-news-coverage-bias-gaza-war/...

From your link:

"We found that “murder”, “murderous”, “mass murder”, “brutal murder” and “merciless murder” were used a total of 52 times by journalists to refer to Israelis’ deaths but never in relation to Palestinian deaths. The same pattern could been seen in relation to “massacre”, “brutal massacre” and “horrific massacre” (35 times for Israeli deaths, not once for Palestinian deaths); “atrocity”, “horrific atrocity” and “appalling atrocity” (22 times for Israeli deaths, once for Palestinian deaths); and “slaughter” (five times for Israeli deaths, not once for Palestinian deaths)."

A mix of tribalism and horrible media coverage have successfully manipulated the public for decade. Don't underestimate tribalism, I assure you if Trump had any hands in this the coverage would be different, just remember the outcry that resulted from the assassination of Qasem Soleimani lol

Thankfully, Tiktoc and Twitter have ensured Israel and its genocidal supporters from both parties have lost this conflict, and it will be forever remembered as the most avoidable mass murder that we watched happen in front of our eyes, all while we're being asked to be mad at the only war criminal like Putin but not Netanyahu and the people who arm him unconditionally, what a joke. 

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Machiavellian said:

Ryuu96 said:

Jumpin

Yeah I think Svenno requested one too, it's just a case of someone making the OP.

I made a new topic here
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=247941

I didn't think this would last this long but with the protection of the USA, the right wing Zionist government in Israel isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

LurkerJ said:
SvennoJ said:

I don't know what it is exactly, greed, fear of the Muslim world or caught like a deer in headlights. Western governments have always been pro Israel and not immune to Hasbara either. Some might simply refuse to believe what's actually happening, politicians are just people after all and maybe even more easily influenced by propaganda and dogmatic thinking. Politics are the original echo chambers.

Governments are also full of old people, most set in their ways, rigid in their thinking. Most of the opposition voices come from the younger generations, more resistant to propaganda and disinformation, more used to the lies of the internet and far less prone to take government officials and major news outlets at their word. Which are just as complicit with their self censorship, selective coverage and pushing their own agendas.

The irony

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/israel-palestine-bbc-news-coverage-bias-gaza-war/...

From your link:

"We found that “murder”, “murderous”, “mass murder”, “brutal murder” and “merciless murder” were used a total of 52 times by journalists to refer to Israelis’ deaths but never in relation to Palestinian deaths. The same pattern could been seen in relation to “massacre”, “brutal massacre” and “horrific massacre” (35 times for Israeli deaths, not once for Palestinian deaths); “atrocity”, “horrific atrocity” and “appalling atrocity” (22 times for Israeli deaths, once for Palestinian deaths); and “slaughter” (five times for Israeli deaths, not once for Palestinian deaths)."

A mix of tribalism and horrible media coverage have successfully manipulated the public for decade. Don't underestimate tribalism, I assure you if Trump had any hands in this the coverage would be different, just remember the outcry that resulted from the assassination of Qasem Soleimani lol

Thankfully, Tiktoc and Twitter have ensured Israel and its genocidal supporters from both parties have lost this conflict, and it will be forever remembered as the most avoidable mass murder that we watched happen in front of our eyes, all while we're being asked to be mad at the only war criminal like Putin but not Netanyahu and the people who arm him unconditionally, what a joke. 

I copied your reply here https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247941/israel-hamas-war-gaza-genocide

Let's leave this thread to focus on the upcoming elections. (Choice between terrible and the unthinkable?)

Moved to new thread.  Please delete.

It's still baffling that Trump is allowed to run again. You'd think the minimum penalty for his treachery of American democracy would be that he will be banned from political jobs on any and all levels.

What isn't baffling is all the support Trump is getting, because Americans have proven time and time again that they are always up to the challenge of growing their own level of stupidity. The world can only hope that Biden will be incapable of running again, because that guy is just too old to win another election.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

It's still baffling that Trump is allowed to run again. You'd think the minimum penalty for his treachery of American democracy would be that he will be banned from political jobs on any and all levels.

What isn't baffling is all the support Trump is getting, because Americans have proven time and time again that they are always up to the challenge of growing their own level of stupidity. The world can only hope that Biden will be incapable of running again, because that guy is just too old to win another election.

Well he actually has not been convicted of anything yet so right now its still a toss up.  With how long it takes these cases to actually go to trial then appeal,  there is the chance he could be president and still get at least convicted in GA as I am sure he would drop all federal cases against him, which mind you should be something that should not be allowed by any President. 

As for Americans, they just vote for the party they feel affiliated with, then there are the total nut cases and in between are the independents who lean one way or the other.  It should be interesting to see how the election goes if Trump is the GOP candidate.