By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Mod Notice regarding Hogwart's Legacy discussion & rules regarding transphobia.

Hogwart's Legacy is a title that has seen a lot of controversy, but it was also a commercial success. As a result of this success, some people are trying to downplay the controversy. Said controversy, and the ensuing boycott of the game, exists over concerns towards J.K. Rowling's history of transphobic comments.

Because of the inherently controversial nature of The Wizarding World IP due to its creation by and attachment to Rowling, as well as the fact that she continues to profit from it, the mod team has to decided to establish some rules regarding discussion of Hogwart's legacy, and to clarify other rules.

1) There will not be an outright ban on discussion of the game. It's a popular game from a popular IP. If people want to talk about the game itself—its mechanics, graphics, characters, etc.—that is perfectly fine.

2) If you state that you want to buy the game or that you enjoy the game, that will not be held against you. Merely enjoying content from The Wizarding World will not be interpreted as bigotry. Separating the art from the artist is not against the rules.

3) Discussion of the controversy in neutral terms is allowed. However, certain specific commentary regarding it is off limits. Dismissal of or insults towards the Hogwart's Legacy boycott will be interpreted as dismissal of or insults toward concerns over transphobia.

4) Bigotry of any kind is and always has been banned at VG Chartz. As with other forms of bigotry (such as that regarding race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, and sexual orientation), there is a zero-tolerance policy in place regarding transphobia. Transphobia of any kind, no matter how obliquely stated or espoused, will not be tolerated. Dismissal of or insults towards concerns over bigotry, including transphobia, will likewise not be tolerated. Violations will be met with appropriate moderation. First offense is a one-week ban. Next is two weeks. Third is 30 days. After that, it's a permanent ban. There will be no warnings. This post is the only warning you will receive.

Also, no more complaints about how other sites have entirely banned discussion of the game. We're not going to have any inter-site drama here.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 19 February 2023

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

Oh no.

All I will say is you should love and respect everyone. There is no room for being abusive or hateful towards someone even if you don't agree with their beliefs or the way they live. This goes both ways and someone shouldn't be demonised for what they believe in.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 17 February 2023

I don't see how people commenting on the boycott should be a bannable offense. Like, at all.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

I don't see how people commenting on the boycott should be a bannable offense. Like, at all.

It should not. I'd say the only thing offensive should be endorsing any of JK transphobic remarks, shielding her of criticism and something alike could be understood as agreeing with transphobia 

Saying the boycott was pretty much useless and probably made mostly by some jobless teenagers on Twitter bubble is simply stating the facts. 

Darwinianevolution said:

As was explained, people are boycotting this game over Rowling's transphobia. It is specifically the dismissal toward or insulting of concerns over her bigotry that will bannable.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

As was explained, people are boycotting this game over Rowling's transphobia. It is specifically the dismissal toward or insulting of concerns over her bigotry that will bannable.

So we can express the opinion that she is transphobic or a biggot but are not allowed to express an opinion counter to that.

"Needless to say, insulting people who disapproved of this game (either here, elsewhere, or in the abstract) over the IP creator's transphobia cannot be interpreted as anything less than tacit approval of her transphobia and dismissal of concerns over transphobia."

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Am I reading this wrong? I don't see how this can really imply anything of the sort. I drive a Volkwagen, but that doesn't mean I approve of Adolph Hitler.

Darwinianevolution said:

Seriously? The new rules and their explanation is literally in the first post of the thread.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shadow1980 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

"Needless to say, insulting people who disapproved of this game (either here, elsewhere, or in the abstract) over the IP creator's transphobia cannot be interpreted as anything less than tacit approval of her transphobia and dismissal of concerns over transphobia."

But that makes no sense. What about the people who do not agree with the boycott because they see it as silly, childish or pointless? What about the people who do agree with the reasons for the boycott but that see the way many of the people online are acting as distasteful or worse? There are many reasons why would people would comment one way or another. Banning one side of the argument does nothing but cause more vitriol.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

S.Peelman said:

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Am I reading this wrong? I don't see how this can really imply anything of the sort. I drive a Volkwagen, but that doesn't mean I approve of Adolph Hitler.

Likely not, considering not only did the Nazi regime fall nearly 80 years ago, but you don’t even know how to spell Hitler’s first name. The differences in the situations also highlight the poverty of your argument.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.