By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Mod Notice regarding Hogwart's Legacy discussion & rules regarding transphobia.

J k rowling is a virulent tranphobe !?!!!

Can you post examples where she was ,? I seriously dont give a shit about this IP but i am curious , also every thread i saw so far is normal.

What a weird thread

Around the Network

Any further mention of the controversy that has a dismissive or insulting tone towards those who disapprove of J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter/Wizarding World IP over her transphobia (emphasis added to make the specifics clear) will be met with appropriate moderation.

Since this is how I feel like most topics should probably be handled, I'd say I find this quite reasonable. This does sound like it doesn't leave a lot of leeway, so it might be a bit on the strict side. Still, the way I'm reading this is basically "don't be a dick even if you disagree", which to me sounds mostly reasonable. The part that's not necessarily great is ignoring people being people and not always being as calm and collected as they should be, but overall, very good.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

J k rowling is a virulent tranphobe !?!!!

Can you post examples where she was ,? I seriously dont give a shit about this IP but i am curious , also every thread i saw so far is normal.

What a weird thread

I had seen some of her takes on the matter but not enough to see why she would be considered transphobic (beyond bigotry). I looked up things a bit, and now I can see why people are claiming she's transphobic. I don't really agree with that classification (because it feels like you either agree everything about trans rights or are transphobic - no grey zone), but I can definitely see why her stance can be problematic. When looking up things, I personally found the following article useful in trying to understand where both sides stand: https://thecorrespondent.com/702/im-trans-and-i-understand-jk-rowlings-concerns-about-the-position-of-women-but-transphobia-is-not-the-answer

Anyway, I don't think it's necessarily any single thing that's a problem. It's more about all the things she's said along the years.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 17 February 2023

LOL The mod who created this thread sounds so angry that is a bit weird to be honest.
There was nothing wrong about any topic about the game here on the site.
I understand the feeling, but you could have worded better. Even though I consider myself a left supporter, the way this topic was written sounded very off-putting.

shikamaru317 said:

That sure is what it reads like to me. Personally I find it offensive that people are attacking JK simply because she wants to protect female safe spaces like women's restrooms, women's prisons, mental hospital female only wards, women's locker rooms, etc., from possible abuse by men pretending to be women. We have stories like these out there and you wonder why some women are scared out of their minds right now:

Because frankly I think this is a dishonest take.

Because it's trying to frame "being in the wrong bathroom" as being as bad as a rapist. 

Right wingers in the US constantly throw out this complaint that "gun free zones" aren't going to be followed by criminals, and gun laws aren't going to be followed by criminals. They throw it out there like it's idiotic for anyone to question that logic. And they'll say these rules will only punish the good people. But they never apply that exact logic to bathrooms or locker rooms. If someone is willing to rape someone else, why would they be deterred by a bathroom sign?

You could just as well argue that these bathroom laws make it harder to protect women, because the rapists will just use whatever bathroom, while rule followers will be hesitant to go in to potentially protect someone. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 17 February 2023

Mnementh said:

Or the fact that boycotting is endorsing the neoliberal delusion that informed consumption can be ethical (it will not be) - it is better to use your money to support charities or organizations that *directly* support your cause instead of diluting your opinion in consumption decisions. Or be it the fact that some streamers got attacked and mobbed for streaming the game, which is not OK. All of this can be reason to criticize the boycott and mocking is one way to (harshly) criticize. That all doesn't mean one is transphobic.

Ring ding ding.

Saudi Arabia, the world's number one reactionary political force, now owns 7% of Nintendo and has stakes in multiple other game companies, most notably SNK, and profits off them far more than JK Rowling ever will from Hogwarts Legacy.

Should we consider banning discussion on King of Fighters too? Or Tears of the Kingdom? Or the Mario movie (not only because of Ninty but Chris Pratt is at least as conservative as JK Rowling socially speaking)? Etc.

Around the Network

People need to grow a thick skin. I don't get why people think assimilation is a good thing. Free thought is important.

haxxiy said:
Mnementh said:

Or the fact that boycotting is endorsing the neoliberal delusion that informed consumption can be ethical (it will not be) - it is better to use your money to support charities or organizations that *directly* support your cause instead of diluting your opinion in consumption decisions. Or be it the fact that some streamers got attacked and mobbed for streaming the game, which is not OK. All of this can be reason to criticize the boycott and mocking is one way to (harshly) criticize. That all doesn't mean one is transphobic.

Ring ding ding.

Saudi Arabia, the world's number one reactionary political force, now owns 7% of Nintendo and has stakes in multiple other game companies, most notably SNK, and profits off them far more than JK Rowling ever will from Hogwarts Legacy.

Should we consider banning discussion on King of Fighters too? Or Tears of the Kingdom? Or the Mario movie (not only because of Ninty but Chris Pratt is at least as conservative as JK Rowling socially speaking)? Etc.

8.26% of Nintendo as of today.

Chrkeller said:

People need to grow a thick skin. I don't get why people think assimilation is a good thing. Free thought is important.

Here's the thing. These statements are very generic. 

Both sides think they're the ones pushing for free thought, and only one of them is right.

Person A just wants to live their life, and they're not hurting anyone with it.

Person B wants Person A to stop living their life. And person B is actively supporting policies that hurt person A for living their life. Person B is bullying person A for existing. 

Person A, in order to live their life must fight against the policies that person B is fighting for. In other words, pushing against person B's "free thoughts". 

In a circumstance where person A likes the color blue and person B likes the color green. Sure that's fine. Free thought is important there.  

In a circumstance where person B wants person A to stop existing (or otherwise opposed to someone), someone has to give up their "free thought". It is impossible for everyone to win and everyone to live free, if one side is inherently opposed to the other side's existence. 

The issue is that the idea of everyone having free thought, becomes contradictory when some people's "free thoughts" and actions include eliminating someone else's free thoughts and actions. 

It becomes contradictory to tolerate someone who can't tolerate your existence. 

I'm pretty sure I've made my exact same point with 6 different wordings at this point. 

We're not talking about "mean words" that should just get brushed off. We're talking about kids getting bullied. We're talking about people getting murdered for existing their way. We're talking about politicians putting an enormous amount of resources into ensuring that those people can't exist. 

haxxiy said:

Ring ding ding.

I doubt that any one here would say that they're going to support Nintendo, because they support all the terrible things that Saudi Arabia does. Yet there are people who are openly thrilled to see Hogwarts Legacy succeed because of the controversy.

That is the crux of the issue. There's no issue with liking Hogwarts Legacy or thinking it's a great game, or wanting other people to buy it. 

If people start boycotting Nintendo, because of Saudi Arabia; that's their prerogative. I would happily cheer them on for that, even if I had no intention of following them on that and I would have absolutely no qualms with someone continuing to buy Nintendo games or advertising Nintendo games or anything else.

But if people started talking about how thrilled they were to support Saudi Arabia and say they hope more women got hurt or something; that would be an issue. If someone said they're buying more Nintendo games, because they love how Saudi Arabia treats women, that would be an issue. We would not be tolerating that. 

We're not going to ban discussion on Hogwarts Legacy. But seeing how much discussion on this forum about it has been about the controversy, how people who don't want to support transphobia are "f***ing losers", "psychopaths"; it's hard to imagine having a constructive or otherwise good conversation about the game. 

Mummelmann said:

After almost 16 years on this site, I have to say this is just about the most disappointed I've felt with the mod team and site admins. This is the type of thing that vgchartz is known for not doing, and one of the reasons I love this place. I have no skin in this game, personally (I have no interest in HP or its author), but the principle of outright banning particular views or counters rubs me the wrong way. As does stretching the whole guilt by association-or proxy thing that's washing over the western world these past few years. I happen to belong to the classical liberal left, and this type of decision and reasoning makes me sad, more than anything.

This 100%. The original post makes it feel like you have to be in line with the western ideology and world view which mostly exists in America/Canada/Europe. I live in a Muslim nation and here for most people we have total opposite views and laws contrary to America. 

我是广州人