By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hogwarts Legacy biggest non-fifa/cod game launch in Europe since RDR2

Hogwarts Legacy's opening week is the biggest game launch across Europe since RDR2 if you exclude Fifa and CoD titles. Beating Elden Ring by a whopping 56%.

Here's a list of major game releases since RDR2 Hogwarts defeated:

- Cyberpunk 2077
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla
- The Last of Us Part 2
- Spider-Man Miles Morales
- God of War Ragnarok 
- Splatoon 3
- Pokemon Legends Arceus
- Pokemon Scarlett and Violet
- Halo Infinite
- Forza Horizon 5

It certainly has exceeded my expectations, I was expecting it to be around a 10m seller lifetime, I think it will easily surpass that now. To imagine a certain gaming forum even banned all talk of one of the biggest games of the year. So much for the "controversy".

Around the Network

If anything that cements just how ridiculous CoD and Fifa sales are (mostly in Europe for the latter ofc). This probably also doesn't include digital for Nintendo games, but I doubt anything other than Scarlet and Violet is in the same league when it comes to launch sales.

But yeah insane sales for Hogwarts Legacy. I can easily see it hitting 25m before the end of the year, especially since there are still more versions to come.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

If anything that cements just how ridiculous CoD and Fifa sales are (mostly in Europe for the latter ofc). This probably also doesn't include digital for Nintendo games, but I doubt anything other than Scarlet and Violet is in the same league when it comes to launch sales.

Yeah I'm sure it doesn't include digital sales for Nintendo. Don't believe anyone but Nintendo has that info neither NPD or this. Though it's worth noting how skewed Pokemon is to Japan. It did Ship+Digital a colossal 10m first week but 4m of that was in Japan. So 6m FW ship+digital for outside Japan so I wouldn't be surprised if Hogwarts still beat S/V in Europe even if it didn't WW.

Here's sales for some of the games in the list:

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 17m Globally (First 2 Weeks)
Pokemon - 10m Globally (6m outside Japan) (First Week)
Cyberpunk 2077 - 13m Globally (First 3 Weeks)
Elden Ring - 13.4m Globally (First 5 weeks)
TLOU Part 2 - 4m Globally (First Week)
God of War Ragnarok - 5.1m Globally (First Week)

Zippy6 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yeah I'm sure it doesn't include digital sales for Nintendo. Don't believe anyone but Nintendo has that info neither NPD or this. Though it's worth noting how skewed Pokemon is to Japan. It did Ship+Digital a colossal 10m first week but 4m of that was in Japan. So 6m FW ship+digital for outside Japan so I wouldn't be surprised if Hogwarts still beat S/V in Europe even if it didn't WW.

I think the 10m for Scarlet and Violet might actually have been sell-through? They weren't super explicit about it, but they did use the word "sold" and I think the assumption at the time was at least that it was sell-through. Probably not a huge difference, but yea I agree that when it comes to Europe (and generally outside of Japan) Hogwarts Legacy quite likely beat it.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Zippy6 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yeah, it's sell-tgrough.  When Nintendo gives their launch week PR, it's consistent.

-Retail + Digital sell-through

-Total sales through 1st Sunday (Fri launch = 3 days, Wed launch = 5 days, etc.)

Others in this range:

Scarlet/Violet: >10M 3 day

Arceus: 6.5M 3 Day

BDSP: >6M 3 Day

SwSh: >6M 3 Day

SSBU: >5M 3 Day

Animal Crossing New Horizons PR not given due to pandemic, but believed to be above Arceus and below Scarlet/Violet.

For longer frames sell-through:

Scarlet Violet 18.20M 7 weeks

BDSP 11.70M 6 weeks

SSBU 10.00M 5 weeks

SwSh 12.28M 9 weeks

ACNH 13.41M 6 weeks

ACNH 20.00M 19 weeks

Last edited by mk7sx - on 17 February 2023

Around the Network

Huge sales, as expected. Harry Potter is extremely popular in Europe, so this success was expected. Curious to see how well it sell in Asia

UnderwaterFunktown said:

But yeah insane sales for Hogwarts Legacy. I can easily see it hitting 25m before the end of the year, especially since there are still more versions to come.

I'm one of the gang who waits for a release on the switch. I have a PS5 but since my girlfriend is interested in playing it and almost exclusively game in handheld I wait for that version.

Pajderman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I'm one of the gang who waits for a release on the switch. I have a PS5 but since my girlfriend is interested in playing it and almost exclusively game in handheld I wait for that version.

Hopefully with the delay they are taking the proper time to optimise the game, not just for Switch but also PS4/XBO too. I worry about performance for all three but hopefully they will deliver. It's certainly not the easiest game to run and has had it's fair share of performance issues on PC. It only manages 1200p30 and 900p60 on the Series S.

Pajderman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I see many stutters and performance drops even on PS5. I advice to avoid the Switch version if you can, the game is very cinematic and immersive so it will work better played in higher resolution. 

The Elden Ring of 2023 really. Though this time, it is from a hugely popular IP, done in the most hyped and trend genre of the industry.

Don't know how it'll perform elsewhere or it's legs but it sure is going to be on everyone's tongue during the VGA.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909