By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Has the Xbox Series Already had Their Peak Year?

Has the Xbox Series already Peaked?

Yes 50 49.02%

No 52 50.98%

Total:102
OneTime said:
Norion said:

Though the one huge positive is they did manage to get Activision Blizzard in the end so shifting towards being a publisher and putting less importance on console hardware going forward is probably the right move long term.

Maybe, but Microsoft didn't need to pay $70bln (or whatever it was) to be a games publisher.  They could have just hired some devs.

At $70 a game, they need to sell a lot of games to make that money back...  And although people say: "they bought the IP" or "the back catalogue", punters have already bought those games, so MS still need to make new games to sell...

Well king alone makes over 2 billion a year in revenue. 

Around the Network

In terms of hardware sales yes, it's only going to keep going down from here

pikashoe said:
OneTime said:

Maybe, but Microsoft didn't need to pay $70bln (or whatever it was) to be a games publisher.  They could have just hired some devs.

At $70 a game, they need to sell a lot of games to make that money back...  And although people say: "they bought the IP" or "the back catalogue", punters have already bought those games, so MS still need to make new games to sell...

During lockdown they did...  Not in the last couple of years.  I think people are bored of Candy Crush...

OneTime said:
pikashoe said:

During lockdown they did...  Not in the last couple of years.  I think people are bored of Candy Crush...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/288974/king-annual-revenue/

Probably peaked i don’t care though about who wins what hardware I own a series x bc my friends are there and all my family im a busy dad and between fishing and Gracie jiu jitsu I play when I can I have more then enough games on game pass and other stuff ps5 is getting sold bores me no interest in Sony at all or their exclusives I’ll buy next Xbox to till it’s all software streaming then I’ll do that their just video games I tell ya one thing though VR sucks and hope it ain’t the future

Around the Network
OneTime said:
pikashoe said:

Good thing businesses are not run on what people thinks but sales and revenues :D

Candy Crush sales are higher than ever :)

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 27 April 2024

For me personally, 2022 and 2024 are shaping up to be my fave years for owning a PS5. Since I am only entering week 2 of SX dunno yet but outside of personal taste. I'm not sure either console has had a peak yet. This gen mostly feels like coasting. The most exciting hardware to me coming up is not a PS5 Pro but a Switch 2. Because I know Nintendo will keep a steady stream of games and challenge gameplay design like they did with BOTW or esp ToTK. Both PS5 and SX just seem to be running 8th gen games in higher resolutions some literally and others figuratively. They don't feel like playing anything different than even a decade ago.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Peak in Software or Peak in hardware Sales?

Hardware: Likely. If current tendencies persist, Xbox gonna sell something in the 6M line, maybe even 5M line, this year. Nothing suggests a recover, numbers are going to keep going down and Xbox Series X/S may end under 50M life time.

Software: no clue... but Xbox had a very weak gen. so far, imho. It's kinda easy to to deliver a "Peak Year" atm, the bar is low.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 27 April 2024

OneTime said:
Norion said:

Though the one huge positive is they did manage to get Activision Blizzard in the end so shifting towards being a publisher and putting less importance on console hardware going forward is probably the right move long term.

The value of now owning IPs like COD is so huge that I do think long term the purchase will be good for Microsoft. Gaming is a huge market and with Activision Blizzard they now have a firmly entrenched absolutely huge position in that market.

If this year isn't a higher peak year with all the releases Microsoft has invested in, then I think the peak for the Xbox Series has already passed.