By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Has the Xbox Series Already had Their Peak Year?

Has the Xbox Series already Peaked?

Yes 31 37.35%

No 52 62.65%

Total:83

Obviously it hasn't peaked yet.
The people who say the XBS is already in decline are jumping to conclusions after one disappointing holiday season. Reminds me of the people who think Nintendo should release the Switch 2 ASAP because the Switch was down yoy.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Obviously it hasn't peaked yet.
The people who say the XBS is already in decline are jumping to conclusions after one disappointing holiday season. Reminds me of the people who think Nintendo should release the Switch 2 ASAP because the Switch was down yoy.

I don't understand the logic of Xbox peaking in a year with what will be most likely its worst lineup of games with hardly any being current gen only. Top it off with the continued shortages all year. Then we look ahead to the games yet to come from 3rd and 1st party for this gen and everything else. I don't get it. Someone has to be trolling if they say Xbox has already peaked. 

Blood_Tears said:
twintail said:

I dunno. But Redfall, Horizon and Starfield have heavy lifting to do.

Well Redfall is not going to do anything really. Arkane Studio games aren't really high sellers and the always online component for the single player experience will leave a bad taste for some plus the physical copy is just a download code. It will be gamepass filler for most of that community to hold them over for Starfield.

Horizon came out in 2021. This new one is a Forza Motorsport remake. It will be nice to look at but it's just more of the same. It all rests on Starfield.

MS needs 2 things to happen this year, one being Starfield needs to hit big and the other is the Activision deal to go through. If Starfield doesn't knock it out of the park and the Activision deal gets blocked then MS will be finished for peak years this gen. 

Imagine calling an Arkane game “GamePass filler”. Glad to say I can’t relate to that level of disconnect.

And Horizon is not the same thing as Motorsport, not even close. That’s like saying Gran Turismo is the same as Hot Wheels Racing. It’s also not a “remake”, it’s a sequel that has had years of extra time in the oven. It’s not “more of the same”. 

On topic, of course the peak years are ahead. The software onslaught has not even really begun.

pikashoe said:
Kyuu said:

There is nothing nonsensical about either Svennoj's take nor the thought of Series XS peaking already. I'm tired of people acting like condescending dicks whenever they read something they don't like or agree with.

There are worrying signs about Series XS's performance. The usual fans and offended defenders told us to that Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 will push so many consoles, with some implying they were bigger system sellers than anything on PS5 before 2022. Look how that went... came and gone like the wind. I'm pretty sure Starfield will be a different beast, but let's not pretend that it's guaranteed to be such a massive success and have a strong or long lasting system selling effect when Halo and Forza combined didn't.

Who's to say a likely improvement in Series X's production will make up for Series S decline or PS5's availability and hype? Are we even sure they're even moderately improving? Series XS has a lot going against it right now, and Microsoft focusing less and less on console in favor of going broader will cost some hardware sales. PC may eat into Series XS's potential more than the average person thinks. Starfield may not have an explosive popularity or just sell primarily on PC, PS5's marketing and momentum might overshadow and dwarf Series XS, and the ABK deal could fall through. A lot of things can go wrong, but also a lot of things can go right or better than expected.

I'm sorry in opinion it's just such a ridiculous assertion. Not only do they have a lot more exclusives coming out this year than last, but a lot more games in general are coming out. Outside of everything getting delayed to next year I don't see this year being down. 

I see you're not calling out people saying things like most who want starfield have already bought an xbox. Going by that logic I could say the ps5 will be down because everyone who wants the new spider man already got a ps5 or something, but that would be ridiculous.

I own all three consoles so I'm not really into the childish console war crap.

Svennoj also owns all three consoles + PC so I guess he's not interested in childish console war crap either, and yet you want me to call him out because he's the only person here who mentioned that a segment of Starfield/Bethesda fans already bought a Series XS. I didn't notice him saying "most", just that its system selling factor may be overestimated. He didn't outright say it won't be a system seller:

"But perhaps Starfield will create enough buzz to move consoles in summer."

Kyuu said:
pikashoe said:

I'm sorry in opinion it's just such a ridiculous assertion. Not only do they have a lot more exclusives coming out this year than last, but a lot more games in general are coming out. Outside of everything getting delayed to next year I don't see this year being down. 

I see you're not calling out people saying things like most who want starfield have already bought an xbox. Going by that logic I could say the ps5 will be down because everyone who wants the new spider man already got a ps5 or something, but that would be ridiculous.

I own all three consoles so I'm not really into the childish console war crap.

Svennoj also owns all three consoles + PC so I guess he's not interested in childish console war crap either, and yet you want me to call him out because he's the only person here who mentioned that a segment of Starfield/Bethesda fans already bought a Series XS. I didn't notice him saying "most", just that its system selling factor may be overestimated. He didn't outright say it won't be a system seller:

Whats the point in bringing it up in the first place? Yeah I'm sure some people may have already bought the console for starfield, but as usual a vast majority will buy it when the game comes out, the same as every other big console exclusive. This whataboutism could be said about any other console as well. 

This thread just reminds me of when some people would say the switch would fall off a cliff, because people had already bought it for zelda and mario, or other silly reasons.

"if you were looking for Starfield, no reason not to buy one sooner rather than later"

" I doubt if Starfield will move a whole lot on its own"

Last edited by pikashoe - on 19 February 2023

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
Kyuu said:

Whats the point in bringing it up in the first place? Yeah I'm sure some people may have already bought the console for starfield, but as usual a vast majority will buy it when the game comes out, the same as every other big console exclusive. This whataboutism could be said about any other console as well. 

This thread just reminds me of when some people would say the switch would fall off a cliff, because people had already bought it for zelda and mario, or other silly reasons.

"if you were looking for Starfield, no reason not to buy one sooner rather than later"

It's the same bullshit all over again.

Time is a flat circle. People never learn.

If we talk about "peak year", maybe? But we won't know until we get the sales data for 2023. If Xbox Series X/S follows the same pattern as Xbox One did, then most likely it will be on decline this year. Xbox One released in 2013, peaked in 2015. For Xbox Series X/S which released in 2020 it would mean that the peak year would be 2022. That's why in my opinion 2023 is the make or break year for Xbox Series X/S. If they fail to deliver this year, I think the platform will start the decline and every year after 2022 it will sell less and less. At the same time, I personally think that they have a higher chance to sell more consoles this year than they did the last year, because IMO if it wasn't for certain decisions and not having a great year software-wise, I think that Xbox One should have done better in 2016 than it did in 2015.

derpysquirtle64 said:

If we talk about "peak year", maybe? But we won't know until we get the sales data for 2023. If Xbox Series X/S follows the same pattern as Xbox One did, then most likely it will be on decline this year. Xbox One released in 2013, peaked in 2015. For Xbox Series X/S which released in 2020 it would mean that the peak year would be 2022. That's why in my opinion 2023 is the make or break year for Xbox Series X/S. If they fail to deliver this year, I think the platform will start the decline and every year after 2022 it will sell less and less. At the same time, I personally think that they have a higher chance to sell more consoles this year than they did the last year, because IMO if it wasn't for certain decisions and not having a great year software-wise, I think that Xbox One should have done better in 2016 than it did in 2015.

I think exactly the same. The main issue is the trust build by MS. The great promise of 1st party AAA titles day one on GP on the most powerful and the most affordable consoles during Summer 2020 greatly pushed sales.  And then no Halo (nor big game) at launch, okay-ish 2021, very lackluster 2022, made the whole momentum fade a bit, and we start to hear the same narrative as for the Xbox One in 2015 "this year gonna be big for Xbox, heavy hitters will come anytime soon".

So definitly make or break year.

derpysquirtle64 said:

I think exactly the same. The main issue is the trust build by MS. The great promise of 1st party AAA titles day one on GP on the most powerful and the most affordable consoles during Summer 2020 greatly pushed sales.  And then no Halo (nor big game) at launch, okay-ish 2021, very lackluster 2022, made the whole momentum fade a bit, and we start to hear the same narrative as for the Xbox One in 2015 "this year gonna be big for Xbox, heavy hitters will come anytime soon".

So definitly make or break year.

pikashoe said:
Kyuu said:

He's entitled to his opinion which doesn't justify anyone's mockery. This is nothing like the ridiculous Switch cliff theories (which I actively made fun of). There's a plethora of good reasons that Xbox may peak early, this doesn't mean it would "fall off a cliff", because it can maintain decent sales/legs for many years to come without necessarily matching its early peak.

Series XS was significantly overtracked, had a terrible Q4, started this year with a serious decline for the first 5 or 6 weeks, and MS expects hardware revenue to drop YoY at least for the first quarter. Did that ever occur with the Switch? Does Switch directly compete with Playstation? No. Did Switch get insane deals and pricedrops AND fail at selling well enough in its strongest market? No. Does Nintendo put their (VASTLY more popular) games on PC day 1? No. Did Series XS unify two different mega popular lineups into one platform? No. Is it portable? No. You're drawing some strange parallels.

I expect Series XS to peak either this year of in 2024 (Though I'm still not sure if MS will have a traditional generation), but guessing it already peaked is by no means a preposterous prediction.

I will agree that the "No reason not to buy one sooner rather than later" part is silly and maybe poorly worded, but I'd rather focus on the overall meaning.

"I doubt if Starfield will move a whole lot on its own." is a fair take. You're gonna have to ask him what he considers "a whole lot" because that is subjective, and Starfield may not be all that huge (it's a new IP after all, and Bethesda is inconsistent) and 80% of its sales could come from the PC crowd. He closed his comment saying he may be wrong and it would create enough buzz.

This thread might be glorious to return to in 11 months lol. I think Series XS will beat last year because it should be easy to outperform their last Q4 and make up for the slow start of this year, even if Microsoft's titles don't quite live up to the hype (which most of them will anyway).

Last edited by Kyuu - on 19 February 2023