By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January NPD 2023 Thread - PS5 #1, NS #2, XS #3 - Dead Space #2

SKMBlake said:

@trunkswd You have the Xbox total’in NA at 9.76 million as of 31 december 2022 but here https://twitter.com/Cadreinth/status/1617183759912128513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1617183759912128513%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

they said 8.73million as of 30 November 2022, did they really sell 1 million Xbox in December ?

NPD is US only. We have 9.71M for the Xbox Series X|S lifetime in the US and 965K sold in December. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Yikes Series X/S

trunkswd said:
SKMBlake said:

@trunkswd You have the Xbox total’in NA at 9.76 million as of 31 december 2022 but here https://twitter.com/Cadreinth/status/1617183759912128513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1617183759912128513%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

they said 8.73million as of 30 November 2022, did they really sell 1 million Xbox in December ?

NPD is US only. 

I think NPD is for the US

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

NPD is US only. 

Yes NPD is USA only.

NA includes Canada, Mexico etc.

So the number for NA from vgc should be higher than the NPD's number, they didn't need to sell 1 million in December to get there.

Zippy6 said:
SKMBlake said:

Yes NPD is USA only.

NA includes Canada, Mexico etc.

So the number for NA from vgc should be higher than the NPD's number, they didn't need to sell 1 million in December to get there.

I rounded 965k to 1 million, and that’s what Trunk said they sold in december in the US.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Is the NSW up YoY in only dollar sales or is it also up YoY in units?

kazuyamishima said:
Farsala said:

Is the NSW up YoY in only dollar sales or is it also up YoY in units?

It seems that on dollar only, possibly more OLED’s sold than last year, but the article doesn’t explain it 

It is very possible that it's down YoY in unit terms while being up in dollar terms. While shipments aren't sell-through figures, the SKU split in Q1 2022's shipment data for NA indicated an average retail price of about $300. However, it may be even higher now. All available shipment & sales data indicates that the OLED is an increasingly large share of total Switch sales. If the ARP was something like $310-320 in January, then the Switch could be down a bit in unit sales, but even if that's the case the increase in the OLED's share of would have given it a revenue boost to put it up YoY in dollar terms.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 14 February 2023

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Farsala said:
DonFerrari said:

I haven't been following montlhy sales as through as I did last gen. But I do remember last gen people faulted X1 sales on the rocky start and lousy reveal, when in the end their first years were better than the ones after they made the corrections (which basically nulls the claims of why X1 was being outsold by PS4). Series also seemed to start a lot stronger than X1, but seems like it will be heading same direction of X1 which is odd for me considering that Series S is generally on low stock and X mostly sold out (I had the impression demand was a lot stronger and with MS improving manufacturing capabilities I expected healthy increases in sales instead of the decrease in USA and now europe).

X1 was highly competitive with the PS4 in the early years. This is despite the forced bundling of the Kinect. The reason being of course is that they had a decent software lineup in the first year or 2. However the PS4 trucked along with more software releases while eventually the support for X1 dried up. MS found this to be a huge issue and they are trying to dig themselves out of this hole with money.

That is also my understanding. X1 problem wasn't the poor reveal, tv, tv, tv, forced kinect, more expensive or less powerful (also the reason why X1X didn't really outsold PS4Pro when both launched). The problem was after the first couple years the games didn't come (as they didn't on the end life of X360) coupled with PS4 really doing everything ok to right and having the games so it followed a general "ps curve".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."