By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January NPD 2023 Thread - PS5 #1, NS #2, XS #3 - Dead Space #2

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

June 9th, 2014 or I believe is month 8 for the console.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/254664/kinectless-xbox-one-priced-at-399-releasing-june-9th/

Oh they went quick, I recall you could buy an Xbox One with a Samsung TV back then

Yeah it didn't take long before there were Xbox One deals. At this point in time Xbox One sales started to decline. Our estimates have 2015 as its peak year at 8.51M. 2016 dropped to 8.29M, then 2017 at 7.75M, 2018 at 7.24M, 2019 at 5.26M, and 2020 at 3.38M.

I would think Xbox Series X|S in 2023 will be higher than 2022 by the end of the year even if the first 2 or 3 months end up being down. Starfield (should) help sell a million or more consoles by itself. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Zippy6 said:

Last year PS5 sold 691k in January. Spain and Japan alone are up by 100k YoY for the first 4 weeks. Add in the increase here and the 98% from the UK... assuming strong growth in other countries too we could easily be looking at over 900k for the PS5 this month especially if the rest of Europe is like the UK and Spain.

Europe is up 202% YOY for the PS5 according to Chris Dring. 

kazuyamishima said:

Using VGC numbers for last year that puts Europe at 422k for PS5 in Jan, 283k higher than last year.

So

Jan 2022 (Global) - 691k

Jan 2023 (Japan) - Up 81k YoY
Jan 2023 (Europe) - Up 283k YoY

So even putting RoW and USA as flat the PS5 would already be at 1.05m sales for January 2023.

Fantastic Numbers.

Edit: Or maybe not exactly 

Trunks from the article - "Yes and no. The Europe report from GamesIndustry doesn't include UK, Germany, and most of Eastern Europe. But we do get a UK report. While the report doesn't include Germany sales based on previous years sales we can get rough estimates based on UK sales."

PS5 Best-Selling Console in Europe in January as Sales Increased 202% (vgchartz.com)

Zippy6 said:
kazuyamishima said:

Using VGC numbers for last year that puts Europe at 422k for PS5 in Jan, 283k higher than last year.

So

Jan 2022 (Global) - 691k

Jan 2023 (Japan) - Up 81k YoY
Jan 2023 (Europe) - Up 283k YoY

So even putting RoW and USA as flat the PS5 would already be at 1.05m sales for January 2023.

Fantastic Numbers.

Edit: Or maybe not exactly 

Trunks from the article - "Yes and no. The Europe report from GamesIndustry doesn't include UK, Germany, and most of Eastern Europe. But we do get a UK report. While the report doesn't include Germany sales based on previous years sales we can get rough estimates based on UK sales."

PS5 Best-Selling Console in Europe in January as Sales Increased 202% (vgchartz.com)

Sales in the UK were up 98%. I also wouldn't expect sales to be up nearly as much in our "OEurope" as it includes Russia, which due to its war against Ukraine has had consoles pulled from its market.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/456268/ps5-best-selling-console-in-the-uk-in-january-switch-in-2nd-and-xbox-series-xs-in-3rd/

PS5 sales across all of Europe for January is more likely around 350K. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 13 February 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

And the other two ?

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

And the other two ?

Switch is around 300K-310K (Down from 339K) and Xbox Series X|S around 80K-85K (Down from 114K). Once GamesIndustry releases its full report we should get total consoles sold for the tracked Europe markets, which doesn't include UK, Germany, and a lot of Eastern Europe.

Remember that Jan. 2023 was a 5-week period. So, in terms of weekly averages, spending on hardware was down 19.4%.

EDIT: Wait, is the NPD Group not going by the NRF calendar anymore? The NRF has 2023 as one of their 53-week years, which in past years made January a 5-week sales period. The OP indicates that NPD only considered this January a 4-week period.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 13 February 2023

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:

Remember that Jan. 2023 was a 5-week period. So, in terms of weekly averages, spending on hardware was down 19.4%.

EDIT: Wait, is the NPD Group not going by the NRF calendar anymore? The NRF has 2023 as one of their 53-week years, which in past years made January a 5-week sales period. The OP indicates that NPD only considered this January a 4-week period.

It doesn't look like it. NPD's Mat Piscatella says January was January 1 to 28.

trunkswd said:
Shadow1980 said:

It doesn't look like it. NPD's Mat Piscatella says January was January 1 to 28.

Weird. I sent Mat a tweet asking if either A) the NRF is putting the extra week on a different month, or B) if the NPD Group is no longer matching the NRF's calendar. Maybe I'll hear something back.

EDIT: I found the problem. The NRF's calendar starts in February, so it's January 2024 that's the 5-week period.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 13 February 2023

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

February was atrocious for the PS5 WW, I wouldn't be surprised if we see increases of around 300-500% in some regions YoY.