By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January NPD 2023 Thread - PS5 #1, NS #2, XS #3 - Dead Space #2

#4 FIFA 23

Don't know how often FIFA makes it that high up in the US, especially almost 6 months after release.
But I'm guessing this may be the effect of people enjoying the World Cup.

Will be interesting to see if The Last of Us keeps climbing, since the show has been blowing up more and more lately.

Last edited by Hiku - on 13 February 2023

Around the Network

Typo:

"The Nintendo Switch was the second best-selling console in 'December'"

CosmicSex said:

Typo:

"The Nintendo Switch was the second best-selling console in 'December'"

Well it was also the case in December, right ?

Wasn't PS5 3rd in both for January 2022?
Should we expect a doubling like in the UK? We would assume the Switch went down but it absolutely appears that the Xbox went down by more.

I think

CosmicSex said:

Should we expect a doubling like in the UK? We would assume the Switch went down but it absolutely appears that the Xbox went down by more.

I think

PS5 was #1 in January 2022 in the US. XS #2 and NS #3. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:

I think

January 2022 was apparently:

PS5 - 369k (1st in Units and Revenue)
Xbox - 307k (2nd in Units and Revenue)
Switch - ???k 3rd

Growth in US won't be close to the 98% in UK, numbers wouldn't make any sense for hardware overall to be flat that way. I'm guessing it's going to be more like a 10% growth for PS5, but combined with the huge growth in other regions it's going to be a monster January for PS5 overall.

Sucks. Let's hope specific hardware growth/decline won't be more vague going forward.

Last year PS5 sold 691k in January. Spain and Japan alone are up by 100k YoY for the first 4 weeks. Add in the increase here and the 98% from the UK... assuming strong growth in other countries too we could easily be looking at over 900k for the PS5 this month especially if the rest of Europe is like the UK and Spain.

Switch being up if it's just a tiny bit is quite surprising but everything else is expected. PS5 is gonna dominate NPD for a while and things are looking rough for Xbox so Starfield can't come soon enough. Also there being even less data going forward is just lovely.

Zippy6 said:

Last year PS5 sold 691k in January. Spain and Japan alone are up by 100k YoY for the first 4 weeks. Add in the increase here and the 98% from the UK... assuming strong growth in other countries too we could easily be looking at over 900k for the PS5 this month especially if the rest of Europe is like the UK and Spain.

The equivalent month for PS4 was at 812K, so the PS5 is definitely going to close the gap once I get to posting the January charts. (Hopefully I can start later this week).

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.