By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may soon be joining the rest of the industry by pricing at $70 according to Zelda eShop listing

Zippy6 said:
Jules98 said:

I just looked it up and you're right. Nintendo has never used that price point before... in the US.

In Europe, the games I listed do use the premium price point, costing € 70 instead of the usual € 60.

€70 has been the standard for $60 titles for a while. Most titles that launch at $70 are €80 so you can expect the price to most likely raise to this in Europe at the same time if this happens.

E.G forspoken was £65/$70/€80, deadspace remake on ps5/xsx is £70/$70/€80

I went through and checked prices on Nintendo published games in germany using deku deals. The only games that I found at 70€ were Zelda:BotW, Smash Bros Ultimate and Tears of the kingdom. Both Breath of the Wild and Smash bros Ultimate had their price raised in late june 2019. I did find some 3rd party games though that were priced at 70 on the switch.

https://www.dekudeals.com/games?filter[publisher]=Nintendo

Around the Network
Apkopf said:
Zippy6 said:

€70 has been the standard for $60 titles for a while. Most titles that launch at $70 are €80 so you can expect the price to most likely raise to this in Europe at the same time if this happens.

I went through and checked prices on Nintendo published games in germany using deku deals. The only games that I found at 70€ were Zelda:BotW, Smash Bros Ultimate and Tears of the kingdom. Both Breath of the Wild and Smash bros Ultimate had their price raised in late june 2019. I did find some 3rd party games though that were priced at 70 on the switch.

Odd, so some $60 Nintendo titles are €60 and some €70. Wonder how they decide that. We'll see if the $70 price point for TOTK will translate to €70 or €80 then.

RolStoppable said:

After Breath of the Wild has already been €70, it was pretty much a given that its sequel will cost that much too. Zelda, along with Super Smash Bros., has been an outlier though (everything else was €60 or lower, except Ring Fit Adventure due to its accessories). There's no good reason to conclude that Switch first party games will release with $70 price tags from now on. Americans are merely getting the European treatment now.

I find it odd how I've never seen anyone complain about these two games being 70€ on the eshop. But if one game goes for $70 in the US suddenly everyone goes crazy. PS4 games got a 10€ price increase here. I'm the only one I've ever seen even mention that.

Zippy6 said:
Apkopf said:

Odd, so some $60 Nintendo titles are €60 and some €70. Wonder how they decide that. We'll see if the $70 price point for TOTK will translate to €70 or €80 then.

It's just BotW and Smash Ultimate. They're huge in terms of content and brand power. I guess that might have been factors.

Zippy6 said:
Apkopf said:

No, not some. Almost all of them.

I don't think it's coincidence that the three €70 games are the three that had the highest development costs. The Zelda games due to team size and development time, Smash due all the licensing agreements for third party music and the like.

You were just told that Tears of the Kingdom will cost €70.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
Apkopf said:
Zippy6 said:

June 2019, that's interesting. Didn't know that.

Kakadu18 said:

I don't remember it that way. Both games have been €70 on the eShop since their respective launch.

Looks like someone mistook the return to the original price after a Nintendo-typical June discount for a rise of the standard price.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Kakadu18 said:

I don't remember it that way. Both games have been €70 on the eShop since their respective launch.

Looks like someone mistook the return to the original price after a Nintendo-typical June discount for a rise of the standard price.

Thanks, that is probably what it is. They probably had BotW on sale after it's sequel got announced.

shikamaru317 said:

Nintendo going up to $70 would be pretty awful for me, you can't even wait for a good discount like you can with other publishers because Nintendo pretty rarely discounts and when they do, it's usually $10 off, $20 off at most.

Wanted to reply to this too. In Europe their discounts are 33%, so €20 off for most games.

Also, if it bugs you so much that Nintendo games keep their value, you may reconsider your approach. Buy physical copies, play them, resell them. Games that maintain high prices for new copies tend to go for much higher prices than usual for used copies too.

S.Peelman said:
TheTitaniumNub said:

What are we paying 70 dollars for? 720p? Lmfaoo, what a joke. The real question for me though, will Pikmin 4 be the same? 

No, you’d be paying for an awesome game.

Big doubt, I wasn't much of a fan of BoTW.