By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series Sales Up Year-on-Year - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 11-17

"2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 18.11 million units, the PlayStation 5 has sold 12.31 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S has sold 9.51 million units."

The article for the week of December 4-10 says Xbox Series was at 9.49m year to date, with the 469k from this week shouldn't it be up to 9.96m year to date?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

"2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 18.11 million units, the PlayStation 5 has sold 12.31 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S has sold 9.51 million units."

The article for the week of December 4-10 says Xbox Series was at 9.49m year to date, with the 469k from this week shouldn't it be up to 9.96m year to date?

There were adjustments following the monthly and yearly charts. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Not much left for Switch when it comes to passing systems. At least outside of Europe. It has been nice to see strong sales for all 3 again. Plus we know PS5 would be a decent amount higher if it wasn't for the shortages and Xbox Series X|S a little bit higher.

Wii and 360 are still ahead of it in NA I think, it should pass them this year.

With two weeks left of 2022 in the charts, looks like Switch will be over 19 million for last year, assuming fairly accurate tracking. Very strong for its 6th calendar year on the market.

Yeah true. In NA it is in 5th behind the DS, PS2, X360, and Wii. In Europe it is in 8th and in Japan in 3rd.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through December 17

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to December 21)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to December 19)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to December 18)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to December 17)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 9.51 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 2,123,903 units (+28.7%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.03 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 67,468 units (-71.0%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 18.11 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 4,627,327 units (-20.4%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 12.31 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 452,327 units (3.8%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.47 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,915,029 (-80.4%)

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 110

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 32,973,378
  2. PS5: 29,296,080
  3. XSX|S: 20,634,744

Through the first 110 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 3.68 million units units and is 12.34 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 8.66 million units.

The Switch has sold 32.93 million in 110 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 29.30 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 20.63 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 110 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 39.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 35.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.9 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 11,504,884
  2. PS5: 11,276,514
  3. XSX|S: 10,022,051

Through the first 110 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.23 million units and is 1.48 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.25 million units.

The Switch has sold 11.50 million in 110 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 11.28 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 10.02 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 110 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 35.1 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 30.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (109 weeks):

1. PS5: 9,214,463
  2. Switch: 8,413,470
  3. XSX|S: 5,255,092

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 109 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.80 million units and is 3.96 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.96 million units.

The PS5 has sold 9.21 million in 109 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 8.41 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.26 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 109 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.3 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.8 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.9 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,910,017
  2. PS5: 2,309,556
  3. XSX|S: 400,624

Through the first 110 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.60 million units and is 7.51 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.91 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.91 million units in 110 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.31 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.40 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 110 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 74.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 21.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Playstation 5 thoughts:

USA - "Switch!! I'm coming for you!! I'm coming!!"

EU - " Haha! I'm ahead now! You'll never reach me again!"

JP - "Hey... Come back... Ah, who I'm trying to fool...? I'll never catch it..."

Looking at the platform totals, looks like PS3 in Europe is the next milestone for Switch.then shortly thereafter PS1.
So still some more wins left to come. If I had to guess, I'd say it will make it to #3 in NA and worldwide, #5 in Europe, and #1 in Japan.

I am live over on Twitch going over the latest VGChartz estimates, US and Europe December sales reports, Microsoft layoffs, The Last of Us HBO TV series success, and more. Afterwards I'll be playing some games. If you miss me going over the gaming sales and news it will be up on YouTube later. 

twitch.tv/trunkswd

Sales up year-over-year, employees down year-over-year :/
70 billion net profit can't keep the lights on :p

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-reportedly-set-to-cut-thousands-of-jobs

Following Microsoft's confirmation of plans to cut 10,000 jobs by Q3 this year, details have started to emerge of the game teams impacted by the layoffs, with Kotaku and Bloomberg reporting Bethesda Games Studios, Gears of War developer The Coalition, and Halo maker 343 Industries are all affected.

Bloomberg's Jason Schreier says the scale of redundancies at these studios is "not yet clear", but reports that 343 - particularly its Halo Infinite campaign team - has been "hit hard". Schreier adds that today's 343 layoffs come "in the wake of a long-running hiring freeze and a lot of contractor departures". We'll have more as the story develops.

SvennoJ said:

Sales up year-over-year, employees down year-over-year :/
70 billion net profit can't keep the lights on :p

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-reportedly-set-to-cut-thousands-of-jobs

Following Microsoft's confirmation of plans to cut 10,000 jobs by Q3 this year, details have started to emerge of the game teams impacted by the layoffs, with Kotaku and Bloomberg reporting Bethesda Games Studios, Gears of War developer The Coalition, and Halo maker 343 Industries are all affected.

Bloomberg's Jason Schreier says the scale of redundancies at these studios is "not yet clear", but reports that 343 - particularly its Halo Infinite campaign team - has been "hit hard". Schreier adds that today's 343 layoffs come "in the wake of a long-running hiring freeze and a lot of contractor departures". We'll have more as the story develops.

MS needs to get their shit together. 

It's been one stumble after another for how many years now? Early this gen it seemed like they were starting to get their mojo back, but more and more lately it seems like they're still stuck in the same Xbone era rut.