By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series Sales Up Year-on-Year - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 11-17

curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:

Sales up year-over-year, employees down year-over-year :/
70 billion net profit can't keep the lights on :p

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-reportedly-set-to-cut-thousands-of-jobs

Following Microsoft's confirmation of plans to cut 10,000 jobs by Q3 this year, details have started to emerge of the game teams impacted by the layoffs, with Kotaku and Bloomberg reporting Bethesda Games Studios, Gears of War developer The Coalition, and Halo maker 343 Industries are all affected.

Bloomberg's Jason Schreier says the scale of redundancies at these studios is "not yet clear", but reports that 343 - particularly its Halo Infinite campaign team - has been "hit hard". Schreier adds that today's 343 layoffs come "in the wake of a long-running hiring freeze and a lot of contractor departures". We'll have more as the story develops.

MS needs to get their shit together. 

It's been one stumble after another for how many years now? Early this gen it seemed like they were starting to get their mojo back, but more and more lately it seems like they're still stuck in the same Xbone era rut.

Hopefully Starfield, Redfall and Forza Motorsport help turn things around this year. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Latest Game News Roundup is now live on YouTube. I go over the latest VGChartz estimates, US and Europe monthly sales reports, Microsoft layoffs, The Last of Us HBO TV series success, and more.

I'm just a little over 300 subs away from 10K!

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

It's been one stumble after another for how many years now? Early this gen it seemed like they were starting to get their mojo back, but more and more lately it seems like they're still stuck in the same Xbone era rut.

Hopefully Starfield, Redfall and Forza Motorsport help turn things around this year. 

Yeah exclusives are much needed, but more than that, they need them to be great. Exclusives with mixed or lukewarm reception won't cut it, they need killer games like Sony and Nintendo have, games that can convince people to drop hundreds of dollars on a console to play them. 

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Yeah exclusives are much needed, but more than that, they need them to be great. Exclusives with mixed or lukewarm reception won't cut it, they need killer games like Sony and Nintendo have, games that can convince people to drop hundreds of dollars on a console to play them. 

I agree they need to be great. The future success definitely depends on Starfield. I'm fine with games being delayed if it means they will be that much better. We don't need another Cyberpunk. Halo Infinite was decent enough and ran fine for the most part, but the lack of much content for the first year has definitely hurt it. Even as a big Halo fan myself I haven't touched Infinite in months. 

curl-6 said:

Completely disagree. It’s the fastest selling Xbox ever. If anything the fact that they’ve done it with just two major exclusives is extremely promising for the future.

Around the Network
BonfiresDown said:
curl-6 said:

Completely disagree. It’s the fastest selling Xbox ever. If anything the fact that they’ve done it with just two major exclusives is extremely promising for the future.

Wasn't the Xbox One also the fastest selling Xbox for quite some time? I mean, if they aspire to be an only-ran that's forever in the shadow of Playstation, that's fine, but if they want to grow beyond that, they need to actually build a competitive software portfolio.

Thank you very much, Trunks! :)

And while I am posting: Happy New Year to everyone and you, I really wish you all the best and I am looking forward to a seemingly very interesting 2023 in regards to our beloved passion to read about console hardware sales. :o) And, of course, to yours and colleagues' much appreciated input and efforts. Thumbs up!

Have been waiting for the new estimates quite nervously. ;)

I am really glad to see Xbox and PS sales at a very healthy state. I rather "cheer" for PS5 sales, though, but I consider myself mentally healthy enough acknowledging healthy competitor's sales either way being something VERY important and something we all have been missing from 2013 to 2020.

The real era of PS5 and XSX hasn't really begun yet, at least to my understanding, so I am thrilled to see what's going to happen in 2023, how PSVR2, rumored PS5 Slim will have an impact, if AB acquisition goes through and how Gamepass will keep up. And of course, in regards to all three competitors, upcoming software and new announcements.

I think 2023 could potentially turn out to be gaming's biggest year since quite a while. Exciting times!

Keep up the good work!

Panicradio said:

Thank you very much, Trunks! :)

And while I am posting: Happy New Year to everyone and you, I really wish you all the best and I am looking forward to a seemingly very interesting 2023 in regards to our beloved passion to read about console hardware sales. :o) And, of course, to yours and colleagues' much appreciated input and efforts. Thumbs up!

Have been waiting for the new estimates quite nervously. ;)

I am really glad to see Xbox and PS sales at a very healthy state. I rather "cheer" for PS5 sales, though, but I consider myself mentally healthy enough acknowledging healthy competitor's sales either way being something VERY important and something we all have been missing from 2013 to 2020.

The real era of PS5 and XSX hasn't really begun yet, at least to my understanding, so I am thrilled to see what's going to happen in 2023, how PSVR2, rumored PS5 Slim will have an impact, if AB acquisition goes through and how Gamepass will keep up. And of course, in regards to all three competitors, upcoming software and new announcements.

I think 2023 could potentially turn out to be gaming's biggest year since quite a while. Exciting times!

Keep up the good work!

I agree 2023 will be a turning point for this generation with the end (hopefully) of PS5 shortages and the best Xbox lineup in a long time.